Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 20:44   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
again the same "niche" thing..!!
i'll still make it simpler for you...
dude, you dont get a bullet below 80,000 and the pulsar range starts at 60,000 which is huge difference for bike buyers. there is no such difference in the pricing of safari & scorpio.
OFF TOPIC
but you have a P220 like the mhawk - similar kind of pricing screwup.

all said but you cant deny that people on road do take a 2nd look at the safari and scorpios pass by with not much interest.

Based on my resources i will surely go for a Scorpio as for me its reliability that counts but i will always long to have a Safari it has a lot of charisma.

if you dont want the term "niche" which means a place or slot of market segment then let it be "Safari CLAN".

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 5th June 2008 at 20:47.
Old 5th June 2008, 20:51   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
OFF TOPIC
but you have a P220 like the mhawk - similar kind of pricing screwup.

all said but you cant deny that people on road do take a 2nd look at the safari and scorpios do pass with not much interest.

Based on my resources i will surely go for a Scorpio as for me its reliability that counts but i will always long to have a Safari.

if you dont want the term "niche" which means a place or slot of market segment then let it be "Safari CLAN".
i dont think the mHawk is overpriced buddy. because it is selling very well and after all, so many indians (including me,) cant be fools to waste our hard earned money on a scorpio, if it doesnt deserve it.

well, i dont even give a 1st look to the safari, forget the 2nd and 3rd! for me, the 1st generation safari was quite a looker. but i hate the looks of 3.0 and 2.2 VTT. but as i always say, looks are highly subjective. i would anytime drool over a well maintained scorpio for its fresh and butch looks.
yes, but i must admit, a safari look hot in white, but only in white. (personal preference)

Last edited by raj_5004 : 5th June 2008 at 20:53.
Old 5th June 2008, 21:23   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
I voted for Scorpio

Currently I don't own any of them, but had own Scorpio previously.
Mine was the 3rd Scorpio in NCR when it was introduced in the market few years back

The SUV that time just had the turbo diesel engine. We used the car for almost 2 years (City and Highway) and drove it around 1.2 Lac Kms. The had some handling and breaking problems but despite of all that we didn't had any such big problems with it. The maintance was also very affordable.

No one will believe if I will say that the tyres of the SUV were still good even after 1.2 Lac Kms on the meter.

It was a fantastic product and me and my father even after 4 yrs of selling it, still remember that SUV

Safari is also a good fantastic product but it feels like you are driving a tank in City
The space is so good in a manner that u feel that you are sitting on a Sofa but despite of all this its still a Tata

my scorpio(2004) clocked 1lakh km till date not even a singleeeeeee problem....still it has the power as it used be when it was new.
But one of my friend who bought a safari dicor after a year i buyed the scorpio is selling it now due to problems he is facing with it he clocked only 50k till date........

Last edited by zenopio : 5th June 2008 at 21:25.
Old 5th June 2008, 21:31   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
my scorpio clocked 1lakh km till date not even a singleeeeeee problem....still it has the power as it used be when it was new.
hey buddy, my old 2.6 turbo scorpio has clocked 1,67,800 kms with only minor issues. by minor, i mean minor!
my company's 2.6 CRDe has clocked about 80,000 kms with only a fuel pump servicing as major repairs (and that is because the foolish driver tanked it up with poor quality fuel, somewhere in the outskirts of chandrapur).
and i hope, my mHawk continues the tradition!
happy driving dude!

i am happy to see somebody praising the scorpio, u know, ours is a small group in T-BHP, we are the minority here!!!
Old 5th June 2008, 21:47   #185
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And maybe women dont buy/drive a Safari coz they want real men to drive it.
LOL

But to be honest its more of an initiative thing. Women dont even try driving safari. if they start trying then who knows...They have definitely more patience so thats 1 quality that will stand them in good stead with Safari.
Old 6th June 2008, 02:03   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
based on all above posts and alot of forum masala on safari vs scorpio.

scorpio is more associated with cab owners??? one reason reliability,
FE- this is Scoripios plus in actual
Luxury or call it comfort under the Mahindra brands - Mahindra commander / Bolero to now SCORPIO

you would rarely see a safari doing the cab trips i guess
soft ride - expensive suspension parts
engine - turbo lag, costly maintenace after the warranty period spares
quality - not seen but think it should be better than scorpio and so fleet owners wont like to see upholstery cut, broken plastic etc - costly fix

for price - cost of one safari top end version = two sumo cost

unless the cab operator is a retard would he buy a safari to ferry people.

most airport pickups / dropoffs are Innova Scorpio Tavera Sumo relaibility and cost effective.
Go to Punjab and there are plenty of Safari taxis, lots in Jullundur, Goraya (even on the small taxi stand in Bara Pind).

They are usually ones that NRI's have bought years ago and dumped/sold as they bought a Scorpio.
Old 6th June 2008, 06:22   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Go to Punjab and there are plenty of Safari taxis, lots in Jullundur, Goraya (even on the small taxi stand in Bara Pind).

They are usually ones that NRI's have bought years ago and dumped/sold as they bought a Scorpio.
those taxis are old prehistoric TCIC's and
please tell me how do you know that all those NRI's bought Scorpio.i don't say that safari are not used as taxis but market for them is very small, in punjab you can even find mercs are taxi's.

Safari vs Scorpio is a never ending argument to be very frank.
just like Bullet Vs pulsars or karizmas.

my brother got a scorpio and i have a DICOR
and i would say scorpio for city as it is easy to drive in city.
and for highway DICOR but i still take out my DICOR for city as now i'm comfortable with it ( i'm not a racer boy, i like to rev up slowly.)
Old 6th June 2008, 08:45   #188
BANNED

Quote:
hey buddy, my old 2.6 turbo scorpio has clocked 1,67,800 kms with only minor issues. by minor, i mean minor!
my company's 2.6 CRDe has clocked about 80,000 kms with only a fuel pump servicing as major repairs (and that is because the foolish driver tanked it up with poor quality fuel, somewhere in the outskirts of chandrapur).
and i hope, my mHawk continues the tradition!
happy driving dude!

i am happy to see somebody praising the scorpio, u know, ours is a small group in T-BHP, we are the minority here!!!
yaaa there are so many safari fans in team-bhp then the out side world.....
Old 6th June 2008, 09:39   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
yaaa there are so many safari fans in team-bhp then the out side world.....
ya man, looks like all the safari fans in the world have been accumulated in T-BHP.
or alse, all the members have be turned to safari fans in this forum!
Old 6th June 2008, 09:55   #190
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

actually all the expats who work in our company bought scorpios when they first came to india.
now some newer ones are looking at innovas because of their families and the car like driveability.
but in our company, in the parking lot there are about 12- 14 scorpios..
Old 6th June 2008, 10:00   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
actually all the expats who work in our company bought scorpios when they first came to india.
now some newer ones are looking at innovas because of their families and the car like driveability.
but in our company, in the parking lot there are about 12- 14 scorpios..
Tell me you work for Shell
Old 6th June 2008, 10:02   #192
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

nope pal
i work for an apparel company

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Tell me you work for Shell
Old 6th June 2008, 10:34   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well sorry to say, but using words like these (niche/exclusive) is pretty ridiculous. and these can be seen by me only as lame excuses for the safari not selling well.
Why on earth would anyone need to make excuses? I'm now beginning to think that you read only half the post before shooting out a reply. Please read my posts - I've already given ALL the reasons why the Scorpio sales are better. And I'm not the marketing head of TATA , why would I need to make excuses about why the vehicle is selling or not selling! Sheesh......
Quote:
most importantly, TATA does not manufacture the safari so that it can keep piling up in its stockyard and then claim it was not for the masses. they make cars to sell, i hope!
Have you seen Safaris piling up in stockyards? Do post a few pics if you do. The production meets the demand. I think they are pretty happy with the sales.

Quote:
why am i feeling that when there is nothing else to debate on, i find many safari lovers clinging on to the "niche" term? anyways, it wont be able to rescue you for long, so better come up with good facts! (please dont take it personally!)
Well, to each his own & I can see that you have a problem accepting the fact that the Safari is for an "exclusive" segment & the Scorpio isn't - no issues with that, each of us is entitled to our own opinion so......

Quote:
i dont think the mHawk is overpriced buddy. because it is selling very well and after all, so many indians (including me,) cant be fools to waste our hard earned money on a scorpio, if it doesnt deserve it.
Well, that is debatable - the mHawk is grossly overpriced for what it offers - I think a few of your Scorpio mates have acknowledged that as well. For a SUV in the 10+ segment not to be equipped with Airbags is downright highway robbery but then, that's not really surprising with Mahindra.

Lastly (time to get out of here), we keep ranting "sales-sales-sales" - Since this thread is about the Safari 2.2 vs the Scorpio Mhawk, can someone give the sales numbers for the Mhawk by month since inception? I think it will conclusively prove which one is selling more. Me, I'm not bothered though because, as I said, the Safari is a "niche" product & I really couldn't care less as long as I'm happy with my productcheers:

Last edited by suman : 6th June 2008 at 10:45.
Old 6th June 2008, 10:34   #194
Senior - BHPian

i too think this is a never ending battle. there is a whole lot supporting scorpio and there is a similar mass who enjoy their safaris.
as clearly stated looks are subjective. both vehicles have their own drawbacks and problems. both vehicles shall score good as far as their manufacturers improve the quality of both.
Old 6th June 2008, 10:42   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I really couldn't care less as long as I'm happy with my productcheers:
Guess this sums it up pretty well. As long as the owners are satisfied with their respective vehicles, its money well spent for them. Trying to outdo the other shouldnt be one's resolve.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks