Safari DICOR 2.2 317 78.08%
Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2008, 23:31   #316
BANNED

We are again getting into a fight.

Raj i would say Safari has lot of functional,practical and useful equipment inside to pamper the occupants.

Its a cruiser and retains its essence to it at its peak best.

Having lot of gizmos on a car that are not useful to everyone apart from a driver is of no use.

Good review. Give it another chance, You'll surely trade in your Scorp for the Safari.

I dont mean Scorp is bad, But Safari is that Better and a notch up above the rest.
Old 14th June 2008, 23:46   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
We are again getting into a fight.

Raj i would say Safari has lot of functional,practical and useful equipment inside to pamper the occupants.

Its a cruiser and retains its essence to it at its peak best.

Having lot of gizmos on a car that are not useful to everyone apart from a driver is of no use.

Good review. Give it another chance, You'll surely trade in your Scorp for the Safari.

I dont mean Scorp is bad, But Safari is that Better and a notch up above the rest.
i am sorry, i dont intend a "fight here" and nobody is.
the useful equipment you are talking about in the safari gives very little info, pls specify.
i have used the scorpio's features and hence i missed them. as i said, it spoiled me!
i will never trade in the safari for the scorpio. as i said, i had done a proper TD of both these SUVs before buying the scorpio AGAIN! its just that the scorpio suits me more. spending a few days with the safari definetely wont make me sell my scorp for the safari but may change my opinion about it.
safari is better and a notch above the rest, that your opinion, i respect it.
cheers:

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th June 2008 at 23:48.
Old 15th June 2008, 00:10   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
anyways, here are your figures:

scorpio 2.2 / safari 2.2

power in bhp 120 / 140
torque in kgm 28.5 / 32.6
power to weight 64.86 / 64.51
torque to weight 15.4 / 15.02
0-100 kmph in seconds 14.88 / 15.16
20-80 kmph in 3rd gear 12.13 / 13.76
40-100 kmph in 4th gear 14.61 / 15.96
top speed 152 / 156
80-0 kmph (braking) 30.88 m / 31.03 m

Dude > Thanks for providing the figures and now my question after reading these !!
I dont see how an approx difference of 1second in the in gear times justifies your mention about the lack of grunt in the safari ?( though there is no mention of in gear times post 100kmph, i dont think the difference will exceed 1sec)
Do you or did you really push that hard on the expressway.? Going by your post i thought you got off the pedal to cruise @ 110 i guess.

FE:
city 10.6 / 8.7
highway 13.6 / 13.1

kerb weight 1880 kg / 2170 kg
Now i know where all the GRUNT went. Darn, its the kerb weight!!
Old 15th June 2008, 01:06   #319
BHPian

@ raj . BA is brake assist that comes with EBD as standard fitment in VX in safari.
Old 15th June 2008, 03:12   #320
Team-BHP Support

A few questions from Scorpio owners.
What is the warranty period.
Is there an extended warranty available from the company? Whats the duration?
Whats the typical waiting time for a 4x4
Are there any discounts(except for the standard bank given finance discounts?)
Does Kotak Mahindra bank give discounted interest rates for the Scorpio?
Mostly I see 7 seater config, the brochure talks about 8 seater config too. That has a sliding middle bench, right? It also says captain seats or something, any pics of these arrangements? In the showroom there were only bench seat configs. Any extra cost for the 8 seater arrangement?
What is the 2.2 service interval, whats the normal service cost?
Does the VLS come with tubeless tires?
Can you make the voice assist shut up?
Old 15th June 2008, 07:57   #321
BHPian

I still remember being present in Auto expo 98 when the safari was launched along with my friend "Carbug". What a stunner it was ! to this day i am sure its styling is ages ahead of scorpio and will definitely out do the scorp.

Scorpio is good only in one department - low end pickup.. frankly most average buyers in india love that feeling and hence go for scorpio. I drove a hawk recently and realised that MM has improved that only good characteristic of the scorpio yet again. but sadly in all other departments it sucks big time. its got the funniest steering- 75% guesswork required beyond 80kmph. Monstor clutch - forget resale value you will screw up your left leg for sure. Gear shift is slightly better than the bolero and best of all the rear seats that will turn your tummy upside down everytime you take a turn, brake, speed breaker.. wow what a hawk

But frankly, for just 10 lacs these days the safari packs a lot more punch than the scorp. who cares about resale vaue and s### like that for 10 lacs these days. Throw in a good set of alloys and the safari has looks to die for which the scorpio cannot even inch up in dreams. Maybe, Scorp cannot even be branded a SUV... at the most a very good UV... !!

Moderator's note: Only 2 smilies per post allowed - as is detailed in our Announcements section

Last edited by theMAG : 16th June 2008 at 12:34.
Old 15th June 2008, 08:06   #322
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer:
warranty - 2 yrs, extendible to 2 more for Rs.10000/-, provided the extension is done BEFORE 2 yrs or 50000 kms, whichever is less.
Typical waiting period for 4WD - 2 months.
Not having bought as a corp. client, I got no discounts (aug 2006).
Only 7 seater config offered in 4WD! Only 4 colour choices. Plus my other grouses posted earlier.
Service intervals - 5000 kms.

That's the extent to which I can help, with your queries.
And yes, the voice prompts are politely asked to shut up by most users!
These are not offered in the 4WD version anyway!
Old 15th June 2008, 08:15   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
raj_5004 : a small review on how the safari 2.2 feels on its brief drive from mumbai to pune and within city limits of pune. though this is meant to be a comparo, i am stating this as a review
@raj, was refering to these lines.
Quote:
raj_5004 FE: city 10.6 / 8.7

kerb weight 1880 kg / 2170 kg
Can you re-check these FE figures ?

Also, I am not able to find the Kerbweight figures for the Scorp anywhere.

Btw, Scorp website says the intercooler is top mounted to optimize engine cooling.
Old 15th June 2008, 08:26   #324
BHPian

I have been following this thread for sometime. And surely there are more safari fans in here, as clearly stated in the poll. And i don't own either of these, but will be buying one of these shortly, within 2-3 months.

This thread reminds me of Windows vs Linux thread found in many technology forums. Some people like windows, while some like linux. They group up and start bashing each other. What they don't realize that both windows and linux are equally good, it just depends upon the user who is using it. Both have equal share of advantages and disadvantages, yet intelligent people use whichever OS they are comfortable with.

Now back to the topic at hand. We have two SUVs which are neither perfect nor imperfect. But both of them do a good job in providing the owner with pleasurable experiences while handling them. So cant we leave it just like that? Will trying to prove safari is better than scorpio, make the current scorpio owners switch to safari? No. Either way they must have done some TDs on both the vehicles, and whatsoever reasons feasible to them, they bought scorpio/safari. Ok, i know its a comparison thread between the two, but after going through the 322 posts, i still cant come to a conclusion on which is better. All / Majority of the posts are made in favor of safari.

Just my two cents ...
Old 15th June 2008, 08:29   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, Scorp website says the intercooler is top mounted to optimize engine cooling.
Good point, Condor!
LOL, if M&M had said AIR cooling, many would have assumed the inter cooler to be part of the car's airconditioning system!
Old 15th June 2008, 10:40   #326
Senior - BHPian

A vehicle generally grows over you over a period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
secondly, its not a matter of giving the safari a "second chance"... any vehicle cant be studied in just a day, thats what i feel. spend atleast a week with it and then you can be in a position to comment on all the pros and cons of the vehicle. maybe the negatives which i felt are not such a big issue or maybe the seats are not that comfortable (as i said, it taks me atleast 2-3 days to comment on the seats!)... hence i am not wasting any time, its well utilized, what say safari fans?!?!?!
Old 15th June 2008, 10:49   #327
Senior - BHPian

Warranty period is 2 years from the date of purchase. Extended warranty is offered at the end of the 2 year period for a cost of nearly 10K for another 2 years and after that nothing.. Well, in any case nowadays people don't keep a vehicle for more than 4 years..

M&M have currently stopped giving out 4x4s. VLS comes with Bridgestone Dueler H/T tubeless minus the alloys.

I don't know anything about the financial part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Does Kotak Mahindra bank give discounted interest rates for the Scorpio?
Mostly I see 7 seater config, the brochure talks about 8 seater config too. That has a sliding middle bench, right? It also says captain seats or something, any pics of these arrangements? In the showroom there were only bench seat configs. Any extra cost for the 8 seater arrangement?
Old 15th June 2008, 11:27   #328
Senior - BHPian

@ jay: hey buddy, i have nothing to do with the figures! i just posted them because you asked me too! when i commented about the lack of grunt, it was from my personal experience, obviously when compared to a scorpio. more interestingly, the scorpio has better acceleration and in-gear times (though the diiference is minute) having just 120 bhp compared to 140 bhp of the safari- lower kerb weight or shorter gearing, whatever the reason is. i am saying this because many had commented that the safari is more powerful!
and as i said, it took ages to reach 140 after 110 kmph, but i backed off at 140!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 15th June 2008 at 11:41.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:38   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
@ raj . BA is brake assist that comes with EBD as standard fitment in VX in safari.
if you are talking about the normal BA, then its available in all cars starting fron the zen to the dzire to the scorpio. only the 800 lacks BA!
but emergency BA is a different safety feature. and i am not sure whether the safari has that. the safari has ABS with EBD, i suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
i got a discount of 10000 on the hawk.

no extra cost for the 7 seater or 8 seater. yes, the 8 seater has a sliding middle bench. no extra cost for the captain seats too.

engine oil every 15000 km
engine oil filter every 15000 km
coolant every 40000 km
air filter every 40000 km
fuel filter every 20000 km
clutch fluid every 40000 km
transmission oil every 40000 km
differential oil every 20000 km
brake fluid every 40000 km
these figures are from the owner's manual

yes, it has tubeless tyres.

yes, you can switch off selected commands or all the commands, as you wish.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:48   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
I still remember being present in Auto expo 98 when the safari was launched along with my friend "Carbug". What a stunner it was ! to this day i am sure its styling is ages ahead of scorpio and will definitely out do the scorp.
i respect your opinion!

Scorpio is good only in one department - low end pickup..
dont agree to this statement.

frankly most average buyers in india love that feeling and hence go for scorpio. I drove a hawk recently and realised that MM has improved that only good characteristic of the scorpio yet again. but sadly in all other departments it sucks big time. its got the funniest steering- 75% guesswork required beyond 80kmph.
hawk's steering has a better feel at high speeds but the safari feels more stable.

Monstor clutch - forget resale value you will screw up your left leg for sure.
lighter clutch in hawk. i think the vehicle you drove had a problem.
Gear shift is slightly better than the bolero
true, safari has a better gear shift

and best of all the rear seats that will turn your tummy upside down everytime you take a turn, brake, speed breaker.. wow what a hawk
agree to this statement but a bit exagerrated! anyways, thanks for the compliment!

But frankly, for just 10 lacs these days the safari packs a lot more punch than the scorp. who cares about resale vaue and s### like that for 10 lacs these days.
what sort of punch?

Throw in a good set of alloys and the safari has looks to die for which the scorpio cannot even inch up in dreams. Maybe, Scorp cannot even be branded a SUV... at the most a very good UV... !!
your personal opinion, again respect!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed