Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2008, 11:54   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can you re-check these FE figures ?

these figures are from autocar india. i personally got 11.2 kmpl in the safari 2.2 on the expressway and a bit of pune city driving.

Also, I am not able to find the Kerbweight figures for the Scorp anywhere.
again check autocar india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
A vehicle generally grows over you over a period of time.
i hope so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkonfig View Post
Now back to the topic at hand. We have two SUVs which are neither perfect nor imperfect. But both of them do a good job in providing the owner with pleasurable experiences while handling them. So cant we leave it just like that? Will trying to prove safari is better than scorpio, make the current scorpio owners switch to safari? No. Either way they must have done some TDs on both the vehicles, and whatsoever reasons feasible to them, they bought scorpio/safari. Ok, i know its a comparison thread between the two, but after going through the 322 posts, i still cant come to a conclusion on which is better. All / Majority of the posts are made in favor of safari. Just my two cents ...
well said buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iservesa View Post
Raj Stop it...

Look Here

Safari DICOR 2.2 30280.11%Scorpio mHawk 2.2 7519.89%
sorry buddy, if my post is offending you. but i think this is a public forum and i am free to express my views. if you dont agree to any of my posts, you are free to contradict it but you cannot ask me to stop posting just because you dint like my post.
moreover, poll results wont change my opinon about any car! this poll is the result of a few hundreds of t-bhp members, i dont need to tell you the results of the lakhs of indians, right?
so, chill buddy... cheers:

Last edited by tsk1979 : 15th June 2008 at 13:21.
Old 15th June 2008, 12:19   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

@raj, reg the figures in ACI, I will take them with a pinch of salt.

Btw, when quoting anything from another source, we normally quote the source when sharing that info on TBHP

The quoted kerb weight of the Scorp is on the lower side. Need more reliable info.
Old 15th June 2008, 13:03   #333
Senior - BHPian

scorpio mHawk
Max GVW (2wd) - 2510kg
max GVW (4wd) - 2610kg

Source: official scorpio site.
Old 15th June 2008, 13:23   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
scorpio mHawk
Max GVW (2wd) - 2510kg
max GVW (4wd) - 2610kg

Source: official scorpio site.
GVW is with load, I could not find the kerb weight anywhere.
Old 15th June 2008, 13:28   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
GVW is with load, I could not find the kerb weight anywhere.
Payload is 600 kgs and these figures seem to be for the 2.6CRDe.
Old 15th June 2008, 14:04   #336
Senior - BHPian

@ tsk & condor: well, if you need a more reliable source, this is from the owner's manual of the hawk:
kerb weight: 1850 kg
30 kg less than what autocar has mentioned but then the earlier kerb weight of 1880 kg was for CRDe scorpio.
Old 15th June 2008, 15:05   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Secondly, I would love to see a comparision of a grunting scorpio & a not so grunting safari(as raj says) through a section of high speed twisties, that would take the battle a little furthur into the zone of high speed handling. Im not sure how either would fare. So then we can have a much better idea of highway handling of these suv's. Do the auto mags cover this kind of stuff, i havent read one in along time. Can anyone post any references please??
Mate, don't know what exactly the top speed of a safari or its capability in high speeds in twists, but I can easily take it upto 150 and i do that most of the time when i travel between jayanagar and electronics city in the NICE road stretch, and i own a Safari 3.0, anybody doubt me, can join me anytime. No extra fittings except for alloys and 255 size tyres keeping the radius same.
Old 15th June 2008, 16:52   #338
Senior - BHPian

hey buddy, u drive your safari at 150 on a straight road, thats fine.
dont scare me by saying you attempt such speeds through a section of high speed twisties as jay mentioned...
Old 15th June 2008, 19:24   #339
BHPian

on a recent long drive on the golden quadrilateral Nh 5. I cud do 150 easily on my 2.2 with 4 adults onboard. Cruising speed of 130 kmph is quite easy on open highways. Tata coud have improved the brakes which feel adequate but not what a SUV this size needs to have when doing such speeds.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:58   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey buddy, u drive your safari at 150 on a straight road, thats fine.
dont scare me by saying you attempt such speeds through a section of high speed twisties as jay mentioned...
mate, it is not completely straight but at the same time not completely twisty, i won't be able to say what kind it is but for further information, the stretch of NICE road i travel daily is between Kanakapura Road and Hosur Road, if you know or any of your friends know about this road in bangalore. This is not the only place, i have done it while travelling to chennai as well.
Also would like to clarify that I always don't travel at 150 speeds, but when ever I feel like and i have done it quite many times.
Old 15th June 2008, 21:21   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
..... that I always don't travel at 150 speeds, but when ever I feel like and i have done it quite many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
coud have improved the brakes which feel adequate but not what a SUV this size needs to have when doing such speeds.

Gentlemen, you are taking unwarranted risks - these vehicles were not designed for these speeds. If it can be guaranteed that only you will be the loser, interference would be uncalled for - I worry for the others that might be involved if something should go wrong with your judgement!
Old 15th June 2008, 22:45   #342
Senior - BHPian

i agree to anup. but i wont advise you the basics of driving, you know that well enough i guess.
also, i do know that the safari can reach speeds of 150 kmph, even the hawk can. but what i commented was not on the top speed, infact i dint get the road nor did i take the risk (especially with my parents in the back seat) to stretch upto 150! what i indicated was after 110, it took a lot of time to go till 140...
anyways, drive safe!
Old 15th June 2008, 23:04   #343
Senior - BHPian

finally i am back to mumbai in the safari 2.2, the drive was good. finally i can comment that the seats are comfortable. i dint notice the extra space though, probably its because i was driving and not in the back seat. but the safari's dash is huge compared to the scorpio's. looks good, wish the buttons were of better quality.
departed from pune by 7 pm and reached the outskirts of pune by 7.45 and by that time it was dark. time to switch on the headlights and suprise! it flickers once and switches off. thankfully the fog lights are working! i call up my bro to give him a piece of mind and he says "when i was driving, there wasnt any fault" (ya, its my mistake now!)
anyways, got it checked by a garage and it turned out to be a loose connection. was solved in 15 mins flat! meanwhile me n my parents could have some refreshments! the dials look good when lit and are very clear. the headlights are also very good with a wide angle and good range. as it was not raining, could do decent speeds in the expressway. still feel TATA should do something with the refinement of the engine. i can still adjust with the wind and tyre noise at high speeds (cmon, its not a benz!)...
both the ORVMs are good and offer good view but still dint like the reverse camera. its ok if you are reversing on a normal road but not good for tight parking lots.
expressway ends by around 9:45 pm. later tried to open the front passenger power window but it wont budge! gosh, whats with this TATA's electronics? again, call up my bro and thankfully he was aware of this! he also gave me 1 useful info: the rear right window is also very slow and you have to give it hand assistance while moving up! all this in a 10 month old car...
anyways, all cribs and complains apart, i reach home safely and the safari has not tired me a bit. and as some of my forum friend said, hope this SUV grows on me!

lastly, i asked my bro whether he wanted his safari back and he said "let me have the hawk for 1 more day"...! that is a big compliment (for me atleast!) so i am off to gujrat tomorrow in the VTT...!
Old 16th June 2008, 00:02   #344
Team-BHP Support

raj, what is the highway FE when you drive at 110-130 range?
Have you taken extended warranty? Its dealer warranty or from the company, does it cover most of the things?

BTW I would like change my vote from Safari to mHawk
I may buy the safari eventually if Mahindra does not release what I want, but I concede that the Scorpio engine is actually a much better unit. However from the noises it makes the Safari engine is more of a beast.
Old 16th June 2008, 10:20   #345
Senior - BHPian

@ tsk: hey buddy, i dint drive at 130 kmph for long durations, where in india would you have a road to drive at 130 for a long period? not even the expressway! my normal speed was 90-110 kmph and i got an average of 11.8 kmpl.
no, i have not taken the extended warranty and now i regret it!
what are you requirements from mahindra buddy, may i know?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks