Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 13:01   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
I guess your friend is Stupid to use a MHawk for taxi business he should have bought an LX Safari instead, for a shuttle service he would need space to shove passengers + luggage etc etc.
1. With the 3rd row, you can shove in more passengers into the Scorp as long as you're not worried about comfort. Safari has no 3rd row.

He should've bought Innovas instead. Or at least the Sumo Grande.

2. He has 3 Scorpios in his fleet, so I guess he gets a discount from the dealer.

3. Easier to maintain if you have the same vehicle type - he only needs to deal with one workshop for all his Scorps.

4. Scorp has more 'aftermarket' parts - he has various chrome strips, an exhaust tip and a lot of jango stuff on his truck. These things are available for a Scorpio, not for a Safari (exception being my neighbour, who has "NASCAR", "Turbo" and "Formula 1" stickers on his safari - I cringe when I park next to his car).
Old 17th June 2008, 13:38   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
I guess your friend is Stupid to use a MHawk for taxi business he should have bought an LX Safari instead,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
4. Scorp has more 'aftermarket' parts - he has various chrome strips, an exhaust tip and a lot of jango stuff on his truck. These things are available for a Scorpio, not for a Safari
Doesn't quite make sense why a taxi operator would go for bling rather than comfort for his passengers!
Logical choice would be a Safari.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:16   #378
Senior - BHPian

A comparison of features - VLX vs VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
A person who wants to use the vehicle primarily in City would probably be happy enough with an mHawk as it is slightly better refined and the clutch is easier on the calf muscles, plus it has a better turning circle and you dont normally use the middle row for your daily office drive. However, a person with mixed use would be better off in a Safari and a person doing long distance high-speed (in Indian conditions) travel would definitely be better off with the Safari.
Thanks Steer for once again putting it in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
On a personal note would prefer a 3.0L DICOR when I change..
Look me up in early 2010 - my 3.0 litre will be up for sale by then since the EMIs will be over. Don't know what I'm going to buy yet though unless we have a few more options at that price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
a good base for me to compare features of Safari 2.2 VX & the M hawk VLX, which I will post next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i will wait for you comparo as i am really eager to know what "lot more" does the safari have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
OT: Suman, where is your detailed comparison between the Scorpio and Safari? That would let us decide further between the two vehicles!
OK guys, have attached an Excel file that highlights features of the M Hawk VLX & the Safari VTT VX. This is compiled with information from the websites, e-brochures & Owners manual (for features common to the 3.0 & 2.2 litre Safaris) and dealers (for prices).

I have highlighted in Yellow the features that the Scorpio has but the Safari doesn't & highlighted in green what the Safari has but the Scorpio doesn't. There is one question mark on the M Hawk which I wasn't sure about that Raj can let us know - does it have a "low fuel warning indicator"?

Please note that there may be other features that are there on both but I've not included these simply because the list was getting too large.

Have fun comparing & please point out in case anything doesn't look right - I will update the file (if required) after a week. Please don't expect a post by post reply

As I said, for that extra price, I feel the VX delivers that much more

EDIT/PS: Raj, I read with amusement how your cousin's Safari was playing tricks with you! Funny that he's not bothered to fix that "slow" window winding problem in so many months (I thought the vehicle has already visited the service centre thrice!).

And that bit with the lights - it sounded like an immobiliser issue to me (happened to me only once, on the second day of my ownership) but obviously it was something else for you. Was it a proper garage that fixed it because I know for a fact from one of our forum members that he had a torrid time getting even the fog lamp bulbs changed in a roadside shop.
Attached Files
File Type: xls m hawk vlx vs safari vtt vx.xls (24.0 KB, 450 views)

Last edited by suman : 17th June 2008 at 14:33.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:05   #379
Senior - BHPian

nice comparison. there are some basic things which safari gives and scorpio doesnt. and there are gimmicks (hi-techies) which scorpio provides like light sensors and rain sensors. however i dont think they are too practical. i believe human eyes are better sensors and those.
instead air bags and all are necessity. the door open warning ,seat belt warnings and EBD add to safety. there are many such basic features which are present in safari and not in mhawk. mhawk instead has gimmicks like sensors and all.
and looking at 73k extra in tata safari with EBD, Airbags, DVD with screens i think its a better package.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:49   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
A comparison between safari interior space and scorpio interior space.
I think the scorpio dashboard and seats are too straight than the safaris. the scorpio looks cramped.
These pics are of which version of Scorpio. The buttons shown below the ICE is not there now and also there is another DIN space below the deck. Are these some PS job or pics from older version.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:02   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
These pics are of which version of Scorpio. The buttons shown below the ICE is not there now and also there is another DIN space below the deck. Are these some PS job or pics from older version.
i got these pics after googling. i have never used PS . i think those might be older verison. these all are from some or the other automobile websites.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:21   #382
Senior - BHPian

source TATA SAFARI DICOR Review

Since I have experienced the Scoprio for 1.5 yrs, and now the Safari for 10 months now, I would like to highlight a couple of points…

1) Scorpio has a much better pickup as compared to the Safari. Well this reminds me of my college days. I would say if one owned a Yamaha in college, then Scorpio is the MUV that he should purchase, getting the similarity?
2) Scorpio interiors are much superior as compared to the Safari. Watching the Scorpio interiors is a pleasure to the eyes, very nicely molded and beautifully carved. Safari interiors look like square shaped, sharp edged, low quality plastic made. The steering and the gear knob is also very harsh on your hands.
3) On the flip side, Scorpio is very bumpy, on any kind of road. Only the Driver enjoys the ride, the whole remaining family hates the frying pan bumps at the rear seats, both at higher and lower speeds. For Safari, even at the speed of 50 to 60 on a severely bumpy road, you will not feel it, the suspension is too good especially at these speeds.
4) Also, the leg room is much more in Safari both at the front and rear seats, primarily since the length of the vehicle is much more than the Scoprio. I being of huge built, used to find myself not fitting very well on the front seat of Scorpio even after adjusting it to the rearmost position. Even the seat belt used to fall a bit short, and I had to squeeze in. This is not at all a problem in Safari, primarily due to its length along with adjustable seat height, and adjustable steering and adjustable seat belt height.
5) Features wise, well, Go to the :: Welcome to Mahindra Scorpio :: and http://www.safaridicor.com/ and compare the various variants. On one read you will find that Safari is more equipped.
6) Safari looks are definitely better than the Scorpio, but that may be more of a personal opinion. Actually Scorpio looks too good from the front, but from the back, it looks like the back of a mini van or a mini bus.
7) Fuel efficiency, Safari Dicor gives around 12 to 13 on the city roads, Scorpio (non CRDe) used to give 10, I have heard that the CRDe version gives > 12.

All Said and Done, if you are a sturdy person, and mostly do not drive with Family, and do frequently get involved in overtaking each and every car that is driving in front of you, go for a Scorpio.

On the contrary if you like comfortable ride for you and your family, you race only occasionally J and for you the pleasure of a ride is what matters, do go in for a Safari.

Both the vehicles make you feel of the road presence that they have, so whichever you choose, be proud of it, and mind you, if you choose Scorpio, please have extra anti-theft accessories put on it.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:21   #383
BHPian

Quote:
@ babureddy & dadu: yes, overall the safari has more cabin space than the scorpio but the side seats in the scorpio is more comfortable than the safari, of course if you neglect the bounciness of the car!
In fact this was the only feature which made me finally say yes for Scorpio as my daughter (10 yrs) gave the verdict. Later my wife seconded it. Getting in the rear seat( 7 seater- non captain seat config) of Scorpio is much easier with its foot step and lower height , than the Safari. It is extremely difficult for a child/ lady in sari to get in the rear seat in safari, if ever needed to ( and why not try this as one would be paying for all the seven seats and not just five).

When I sat on the jump seat in safari I couldnt find a place to rest my head. The window/ quarter glass arch is very awkwardly placed in Safari. The air extractor in Scorpio is again a very good thing for rear seat passengers especially, if someone wants to smoke or just gulp in some fresh air.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:23   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
We are talking about SUV's here and not sedan's or hatchback, SUV's are made to be rugged and not for speed.

They are meant to be comfortable under stress and Off-roading and not jumping jacks.

Safari 2.2 was launched in first week of Oct07, deliveries came in by the middle of the month.

VTT is nothing but Variable Turbine technology for the Turbo.

Steeroid has summed it up pretty well here and I agree with him.

Are we talking about seat comfort while stationary ???.

I thought we were talking about comfort while the vehicle was being driven.
yes, SUVs are meant to be rugged and in which way is the safari rugged?
dismal plastic quality and door handles which will break if given a hefty tug dont show the rugghedness of an SUV.
i know what the VTT stands for, what i asked was does it have VGT?
even while being driven, i felt the scorpio's boot to be more spacious.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:27   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Maybe he exaggerated a little. Maybe he meant 7 months (assuming that his brother got the Safari soon after its launch). Raj, stop being a bad bad boy and spill the beans! Were you lying?
i dont need to lie buddy, yes the safari was bought soon after its launch but i really dont know its exact purchase dat, neither does my brother know about it. and i dont think anybody who has been lying can give a detailed review about its interiors! you expect me to keep its pics in my hand and then comment?
also, i cant post pics as my brother has strictly prohibited me to post "HIS" safari pics on net, god knows for what strange reason! else your doubt would have been laid to rest.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:34   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
In fact this was the only feature which made me finally say yes for Scorpio as my daughter (10 yrs) gave the verdict. Later my wife seconded it. Getting in the rear seat( 7 seater- non captain seat config) of Scorpio is much easier with its foot step and lower height , than the Safari. It is extremely difficult for a child/ lady in sari to get in the rear seat in safari, if ever needed to ( and why not try this as one would be paying for all the seven seats and not just five).

When I sat on the jump seat in safari I couldnt find a place to rest my head. The window/ quarter glass arch is very awkwardly placed in Safari. The air extractor in Scorpio is again a very good thing for rear seat passengers especially, if someone wants to smoke or just gulp in some fresh air.
True about getting into a Safari. My parents find it a bit tough as they are short.

You carried your head ? Wasnt it supposed to be fixed to your neck:P.
Hehe,couldnt help.

What is the air extractor?

Quote:
dismal plastic quality and door handles which will break if given a hefty tug dont show the rugghedness of an SUV.
While being driven? as like in driven from back and you felt the boot to be big? Are we taking about SUV or?

Can you prove what you type? Like handle coming off etc? I really want proof as I need to complain to Tata as mines doesnt have any issue. Maybe they gave me a lemon.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:37   #387
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are now just posting for the sake of raking up controversy.

VTT/VGT= Thought read you have being doing some automobile course.

Again, I reiterate, you brother has a defective piece or it has not been maintained properly. Sell it before it ruins you/him.

Last edited by adc : 17th June 2008 at 17:39.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:38   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
There is one question mark on the M Hawk which I wasn't sure about that Raj can let us know - does it have a "low fuel warning indicator"?

EDIT/PS: Raj, I read with amusement how your cousin's Safari was playing tricks with you! Funny that he's not bothered to fix that "slow" window winding problem in so many months (I thought the vehicle has already visited the service centre thrice!).

And that bit with the lights - it sounded like an immobiliser issue to me (happened to me only once, on the second day of my ownership) but obviously it was something else for you. Was it a proper garage that fixed it because I know for a fact from one of our forum members that he had a torrid time getting even the fog lamp bulbs changed in a roadside shop.
yes the scorpio has a low fuel warning on the instrument console as well as the voice assist system which i again repeat can be switched off, phew!
yes, he says he dint notice it, strange!
no, i got it checked from a local garage and i hope no problems arise!
Old 17th June 2008, 17:42   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Can you prove what you type? Like handle coming off etc? I really want proof as I need to complain to Tata as mines doesnt have any issue. Maybe they gave me a lemon.
i dint say the handle of the safari broke! i said it feels like that! plastic quality is poorer than the scorpio as well as the overall build quality is not that good to call it rugged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
VTT/VGT= Thought read you have being doing some automobile course.

Again, I reiterate, you brother has a defective piece or it has not been maintained properly. Sell it before it ruins you/him.
yes, i have done automobile engineering! anyways, anybody knows about this?
its not a defective piece buddy. i have sat in many safaris and in every car i have heard about such niggling problems.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:42   #390
Senior - BHPian

Raj, please use the "Multiquote" option or the Edit button. Now I'm beginning to think that you are trying to increase your post count by replying separately to each post even though its within the 20 minute time period

Quote:
i know what the VTT stands for, what i asked was does it have VGT?.
No offense Raj but being an automobile engineer, I thought you'd know what the technologies stand for?
EDIT: Just saw ADC's post....
Quote:
Err, boot, what's a boot on a SUV?

Quote:
yes, he says he dint notice it, strange!
He didn't notice it, yet he gave you detailed instructions on how to handle it - strange indeed!
Quote:
he also gave me 1 useful info: the rear right window is also very slow and you have to give it hand assistance while moving up!

Last edited by suman : 17th June 2008 at 17:48.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks