Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 14:20   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well if anybody says Scorpio is more VFM, I strongly disagree.
The reason I compared the EX with the VLS, because VX vs VLX comparison would become subjective, with different people giving weightage to different features. For example DVD screens may be a waste to some, and great feature to some.

So how do you compare VFM without getting into subjectivity?
you take two variants which are feature matched most closely.
The VLS has ABS over the EX, and the EX has a roof AC.
Both features are pretty useful features.
Also if you look in open market, Roof AC and ABS cost nearly same (30K odd).
So EX-VLS make the perfect head to head comparison cases.
EX costs 40K less. Clearly makes it more Value for money.
VFM in the EX = availability of 4wd(option) + roof ac + internally adjustable ORVM's + Seat height adjustment + steering wheel adjustment + Alloy wheels + 3 position lumbar support on the front seats +child safety locks on all rear doors(3) .
These I feel are utilitarian features that may/can be used for VFM comparision. I do not know of the scorpio specs for the similar model but those who know can use this as a comparision.
The lumbar support and the seat height adjustment may be termed as unnecessary for some, but look at it this way, in the long term use of a vehicle a comfortable chair adjusted to your height and reach will really increase driving comfort which over time you will even fail to notice.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 18th June 2008 at 14:24.
Old 18th June 2008, 23:50   #437
BHPian

Every time i need to take a U turn in the city, This question pops up in my mind -

Did tata do anything to improve the turning radius from the old TcIc version safari to the current 2.2 version in last 10 yrs??

IMO, they didnt do anything (correct me if i am wrong) as i know people who used the earlier versions of safari and always complained.

its such a pain. Is there any technical reason why they couldnt improve the turning radius?

Last edited by chaxy : 18th June 2008 at 23:53.
Old 19th June 2008, 01:10   #438
BHPian

Guys, this is an excellent thread for prospective buyers like me.
I now have fairly good idea to expect from the vehicles. There have been excellent summary of vehicle qualities by Steer, Tanveer and others, which I dont think is going to change by any further comparisons.

Can we progress the discussion to other 'ownership' criteria

a) A.S.S. (metros/ non metros)

b) cost of ownership (within warranty/ post warranty)

c) Resale value. (ok, i am buying on my own paisa and not on company lease. So it is fairly important for me.)
Old 19th June 2008, 13:28   #439
BHPian

My cousin owns a Scorpio 2.6 and within 3 months of purchase his Engine Block had to be replaced as there was WATER found in the Engine Oil which was due to some leakage (i didn't bother listening to him as i was never ever interested in a Scorp)

I think that most of the men in ur country are Born with a Dream of owning a SAFARI, at least i am one of them and hopefully i will be fulfilling my dream in another 2 months time cheers:

Cheers..
Old 20th June 2008, 13:22   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
and today morning on my way to office in stop and go traffic near BTM, (most people from bangalore know about this who stay towards south what i am saying about stop and go traffic) a tempo traveller hit my from behind, but except for few scratches and some paint off on the Wheel cover, nothing at all has happened, while the TT front had a dent, now i claim that the dent happened cause of this accident, but can some one say what might have happened in this case with a scorpio? The exact portion of the damage is top right hand corrner and some middle portion of the wheel cover.
if you are talking about toughness, the scorpio is no less. my driver had dashed a wagon R from behind and his bumper erupted, his boot was smashed, his hatch glass shattered and all that happened to my scorp was a scratch in the bumper, it still stands there proudly! many has hit my scorp from behind- a tavera, zen, endeavour, sumo and esteem, still i have not got a reason to repair it! want something big? my CRDe scorpio had a shunt with a JCB excavator used in construction sites and see the damage, i have attached the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Safari VTT or Scorpio Hawk- battle of the 2.2s-19062008378.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 13:37   #441
BHPian

SUVs are meant to be structurally tough. That's one reason why single women in America prefer to ride and drive in a SUV of all vehicles.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:05   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
if you are talking about toughness, the scorpio is no less. my driver had dashed a wagon R from behind and his bumper erupted, his boot was smashed, his hatch glass shattered and all that happened to my scorp was a scratch in the bumper, it still stands there proudly! many has hit my scorp from behind- a tavera, zen, endeavour, sumo and esteem, still i have not got a reason to repair it! want something big? my CRDe scorpio had a shunt with a JCB excavator used in construction sites and see the damage, i have attached the pic.
The JCB should have broken down in pieces,Raj

the pic attached doesnt show from angle to make me believe that your vehicle had a hit from a JCB.

was it a toy JCB
Old 20th June 2008, 14:12   #443
BHPian

This is turning out to be the most entertaining thread in T-BHP. I vist this thread at least twice a day. I know lot of other enthusiasts also do the same.
Thanks everyone for giving more and more comments.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:31   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you are talking about toughness, the scorpio is no less.
Actually, someone was telling me the other day that the Scorpio is real tough, even tougher than a Hummer. A scale model Hummer is what he was referring to though
Quote:
my driver had dashed a wagon R from behind and his bumper erupted, his boot was smashed, his hatch glass shattered and all that happened to my scorp was a scratch in the bumper, it still stands there proudly!
Tch, tch, tch, shocking, why did he do that Raj? Surely another candidate for the following thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...re+driven+rash

Last edited by suman : 20th June 2008 at 14:34.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:45   #445
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Hi Guys,

I have stayed away from posting on this thread and even looking at it for some time now but on viewing it again, I can clearly see how many people here thrust their opinions down everyone else's throats, as well as "sail very close to the wind" when it comes to trying to be "tongue in cheek". The thinly veiled sarcasm and mock disbelief that one observes here, has all the subtlety of a "Strumpet in a High Street Shop Window". And this includes quite a number of the comments by "members in good standing"- to use an old Club Euphemism.

Therefore, I think I will re-join Anup, Raj , Zenopio, Badboyscad and our other Scorpio Countrymen in continuing to extol the virtues of the Scorpio vehicle.

To be fair, however, I do agree with a couple of posts on the Safari's virtues- for example the Lumbar Support option is really good - it helps a person who is tall for lower back support. Other extra fittings are purely a matter of perceived value to the person buying the vehicle, so one mans meat is definitely another's poison.

At the same time, I will never agree to the statement made on this thread that the Scorpio being ugly blah blah blah etc etc etc because again, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. For example to me the Safari looks a bit like a big, unwieldy dinosaur. So why bother posting such extremely personal opinions? Lets just post facts eh?

Well, overall - I think anyone looking for an SUV type vehicle in India in the 10-ish lac bracket frankly has no other option but to look at either a Scorpio or a Safari. And judging by the way each of these brands is able to hold on to its own fan following/ loyalist community, speaks very well for both brands, since both brands are INDIAN!!

While sales figures etc show us one side of the coin, the passion visible on this thread indicates also that when one is buying a vehicle like a Scorpio or a Safari one gets influenced by one's heart primarily, then head as well as one's past experience.

But when all is said and done, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, or in this case where my typing finger is - I want to buy the HYBRID Version of the MHAWK Scorpio when it comes out! I am sure there will be many takers for this, going by the review I read in one of the car mags. While it might be quite expensive, this is a very good initiative by M&M and with the way Fuel is becoming scarce and expensive, this would be a good way to the future!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th June 2008 at 14:51.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:49   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I can clearly see how many people here thrust their opinions down everyone else's throat,
Bingo Shankar, I'm with you on this one. I guess you're referring to posts similar to the one about a Scorpio having a run-in with a JCB excavator & hardly a scratch on the Scorpio, right?
Old 20th June 2008, 14:56   #447
BANNED

In my experience in Rural India - the plantation districts of South India particularly - Mahindra has very good Service centres.
Again in my experience (my family has had some sort of Mahindra parked in the garage over the last 25-30 years atleast) - the After Sales Service aspect is mostly good.
The vehicles are pretty inexpensive to run and maintain in general.
Resale value - Your question is absolutely fair. So far the Scorpio has commanded a good re-sale value because of its rugged reliable qualities.
However the 2.2 Mhawk Scorp and the 2.2 VTT Dicor Safari havent been around long enough to build any real track record on resale value aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Guys, this is an excellent thread for prospective buyers like me.
I now have fairly good idea to expect from the vehicles. There have been excellent summary of vehicle qualities by Steer, Tanveer and others, which I dont think is going to change by any further comparisons.

Can we progress the discussion to other 'ownership' criteria

a) A.S.S. (metros/ non metros)

b) cost of ownership (within warranty/ post warranty)

c) Resale value. (ok, i am buying on my own paisa and not on company lease. So it is fairly important for me.)
Old 20th June 2008, 14:58   #448
BANNED

Quote:
want something big? my CRDe scorpio had a shunt with a JCB excavator used in construction sites and see the damage, i have attached the pic.
What speeds? Which part of the JCB hit your Scorpio and at what angle?

In October 2006, I went head on into a JCB excavator in the pouring rain. I was following him and he stopped for something. He then started moving and I also started. Only - he started moving backwards and I forwards so speeds were pretty low. He might have signalled his intention to reverse but in the pouring rain, I wasn't sure.

At less than 5 kph, the excavator arm dented my bonnet and cracked my windshield. I drove the next day to Kadiri with this dented bonnet and cracked windshield and then to Bangalore.

Maybe I should start saying that Indica is so sturdy that one can run into excavators and come out unscathed.

My guess is you briefly touched each other - probably too close in traffic, looking at the picture.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:04   #449
BANNED

Suman, In ref your comment/ post, I would urge you while commenting/ posting, to please note my point about "sarcasm and subtlety...."

lets all stick to the main points and try and answer questions fairly and squarely - that would be more beneficial to people trying to garner information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Bingo Shankar, I'm with you on this one. I guess you're referring to posts similar to the one about a Scorpio having a run-in with a JCB excavator & hardly a scratch on the Scorpio, right?
Old 20th June 2008, 15:05   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
My guess is you briefly touched each other - probably too close in traffic, looking at the picture.
I would say that your guess is fairly accurate - looks like a brush with maybe just the excavator's tyre.

But, since Shankar is saying (albeit in a roundabout way) that all the Safari claims are exaggerated & the Scorpio ones are 100% accurate, I guess you & me must be wrong. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

lets all stick to the main points and try and answer questions fairly and squarely - that would be more beneficial to people trying to garner information.
In that case, Shankar, please also set the record straight by asking one of your named mates to cut down on the exaggeration & stick to pure facts. Pardon me, but we are about to throw up because of the overdose. PM me in case you don't understand which mate I'm referring to.

Last edited by suman : 20th June 2008 at 15:08.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed