Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 17:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

well this is good news. But nothing new as while going to delhi there are a lot of places where legal limit is 90. Now there are roads in CHD where limits are 65 so IMHO 100 - 120 should be enough for highways keeping in mind the type of highway
Old 4th December 2007, 17:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
GYAAN from Bennypedia: In the Keralite context, an EXPRESSWAY is something which keeps being promised by the powers of state, but to the common man is nothing more than a mirage.
To add to that :
Also a subject chosen for a state holiday, which should be adhered to every month and could be called Bandh or Harthal or which ever is appropriate.
Old 4th December 2007, 18:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

veiled

This is another veiled attempt by the government to keep the population down.
Old 4th December 2007, 18:46   #34
BHPian

Expressway, Greater Noida.
Puzzle: What it means?
1. One should not beyond 80 kmph.
2. Come on man, we had speed limit of 80 kmph, now you can put a hammer on the engine and Vroom.

Winner = Free Trip To This Expressway To Hell

Click the following link to see another accident on Expressway today morning. Esteem RIP (Total Loss) and good news nobody dies.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...sway-hell.html

Last edited by Hyundai.Lover : 4th December 2007 at 18:51.
Old 4th December 2007, 18:55   #35
BHPian

I look into this issue little away from at what speed we drive on this highway or expressway.

Govt, on its part, by upgrading the speed by +20 or +40kms, needs to meet better standard and quality than what it has now for lower speed, atleast by its record.

The quality standard will be defined for those higher speeds rather than what we are having today. It is different question, how much of this quality in books translate in to reality.

But one thing for sure, the present quality and the allotment for maintance will see an improvement, even though may not be upto the mark.

So from my point it is good move.

regards,
-manju
Old 4th December 2007, 18:57   #36
BHPian

What a bunch of wet blankets! At least for people like me who have never felt inclined to go over 100 kph this will be a welcome move. I prefer to cruise at 80-90 kph, which is feel is the safe upper limit for our roads, expressways included. I don't feel at all secure pushing a Zen to over 100 kph — or my Bullet motorcycle for that matter.
Old 5th December 2007, 05:37   #37
BHPian

I saw 100kmph speed limits on my way from Hyderabad to Chennai 2 or 3 yrs ago! I don't remember if those limits were in AP or TN....
Old 5th December 2007, 12:25   #38
BHPian

Expressways? Hmm, wake me up after 20 years, when we MIGHT have a few kilometres of them around commieland Kerala.

The speed limit in India is more of a "design" thing, not a "law/enforcement" thing. You need a speed limit defined, so that the design parameters of the road like banking could be specified.

The 'operative speed limit' is the speed at which it is safe to drive, according to the current conditions. The posted limits are legal maximums, based on the design of the road, assuming all other conditions like weather, visibility, driver capability etc being normal.

In the India scenario, you can go at whatever speed you car would take you. Of course it would be illegal, but there are a lot of such things that are illegal. The cops are busy checking important things like "papers in order, tax status, wipers working, first aid box, black spot on the headlamp, seatbelt" etc. No time, or capability to verify/catch speeders.
Old 1st August 2008, 09:02   #39
BANNED

India: Speed Limit = 100kph?

Soon, you can touch 100kph on highways
  • The Centre has proposed to raise the speed limit of passenger cars on highways to 100km per hour
  • The transport ministry is seeking views of state governments and has called a meeting on August 6.
  • "The ministry has proposed the limit to be raised to 100km/hour on national and state highways as well as expressways," a ministry official said.
  • The present limit varies from state to state in the range of 80- to 90km per hour.
  • The ministry mooted the proposal as highways being constructed now allow much higher speeds and new cars can run much faster, the official said.

Last edited by diabloo : 1st August 2008 at 09:10.
Old 1st August 2008, 09:07   #40
Team-BHP Support

The state govts will shoot down the proposal if it by some miracle manages to get through the center
Old 1st August 2008, 10:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

While its absurd to be collecting fines for 'over speeding' on a '60km/hour' two lane highway, one also wonders about loose cannons careening on our highways in the hands of careless drivers, now armed with the license to do so.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:53   #42
Team-BHP Support

Well I doubt an increase from 90-100 is going to be of much difference. "Loose cannons" I have seen are usually cars with red lights on top, driven recklessly, horns blaring at 130kmph.
Ditto for Buses who drive at 100kmph(much above 65kmph limit) but are never stopped because of "union issues"
Old 1st August 2008, 11:40   #43
BANNED

In my first drive on the highway, I was forced to do 100 KMPH. In our Kerala. A bus was sitting there, covering the left lane and 1 foot of the middle lane, an auto was waiting to overtake it, me in the left lane, approaching the "parked" vehicles and a loooong line of vehicles approaching us in the middle lane. I had either to speed up and pass the bus, or wait till the vehiles in middle lane passed. CLOSED my brains, remembered to flash the indicator, and floored it!!!! ! km later, was confronted by .......... a cow!!!!!!
Old 1st August 2008, 11:44   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
CLOSED my brains, remembered to flash the indicator, and floored it!!!! ! km later, was confronted by .......... a cow!!!!!!
Exactly what i wanted to post when i first saw the title of this thread. Looks like you beat me to it. One can also conveniently replace 'cow' with 'tractor' approaching from the wrong side.
Old 1st August 2008, 11:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

One of the funniest I have ever read. What does that mean exactly by saying that the speed limit is now raised to 100 kmph?

It is more to do with rashness than speed that contribute to our phenomenal accident rate which seems to out pace the GDP growth rate, auto industry growth rate and the inflation put together.

Regardless of the speed or the limits set up on it, one should try and educate both drivers AND pedestrians about common sense in using road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks