Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 11:31   #1
BHPian

100 kph on Expressways to be legal soon!

Motoring enthusiasts who have been groaning over the absurd 60 kph speed limits on our expressways can rejoice. For the first time since 1989, the Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry is gearing up to notify new speed limits that would allow personal cars to go up to 100 kph on expressways.

Read the complete news story here. I hope this is implemented ASAP and that nobody throws a wrench in the works to stall the proposal!
Old 4th December 2007, 11:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

NH1 already has speed limit of 90kmph at many places. So this is nothing new.
What is needed is expressways which are actually expressways, without any danger of finding a headlight less tractor coming at you in the fast lane at night.
Old 4th December 2007, 12:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

What expressways exist in India. The Government can build any number of roads or widen from 4 lanes to 8-lanes. All shall be back to the same old mess, so long as there is no enforcement, Scud missiles coming from everywhere, no control of traffic access, and no commitment to enforce rules. Case in point: NH8 From Delhi-Gurgaon. Sure there are similar stories of mess on almost all expressways.
Old 4th December 2007, 12:30   #4
BHPian

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use abusive / inappropriate language, whether directly or indirectly. Team-BHP is enjoyed by a varied audience of all ages. Thanks

100 kph speeds allowed on Ahmedabad - Vadodara Expressway

However, I did come across an driver coming towards me in full glory on the wrong side ... that was scary, I was doing 140 kph ... couldn't even stop and teach the bugger a lesson or two!

Last edited by GTO : 4th December 2007 at 17:20.
wanderlustindia is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th December 2007, 12:55   #5
BHPian

For anyone who has driver on Pune-Mumbai Expressway will know that the 20 Km increase in speed will do them a lot of good. Its surprising how you feel that you are going fast when the speedo touches 100 than on 80. Dont know if its just me or someone else feels the same.
The standard cruising speed on Expressways is about 110 -130 I guess.
Old 4th December 2007, 13:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

1. The government is still gearing up for this. They have been gearing up since the day the expressway was thrown open to traffic. So it could take a couple of years more!

2. Whats the gaurantee that after an accident or two the speed limits will be back to 80kmph (or God forbid less then 80kmph) in the 'interests of safety'?

Problem is that by the time the government will increase the speed limits, doing 100kmph would be impossible because the quality of the expressway is going down by the minute. I have seen potholes on that road!
Old 4th December 2007, 13:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

The only real "expressway" I have seen in India, where dunderheads do not drive on the wrong side of the road, is the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

About the rest, the less said the better. Most local people treat a 6 lane expressway as two separate 3 lane highways running parallel to each other!!
Old 4th December 2007, 13:54   #8
BHPian

Not sure about that too!
There's a place a few minutes after u get on the ex-way from mumbai side where the old road crosses over it, i have seen bikers driving towards the oncoming traffic in the leftmost lane. The regular traffic has to move right to dodge them. Can u imagine some biker comin right at u when u doin 100+. This is a recent observation but certainly not a one-off as i made atleast 4 trips the last month.
Old 4th December 2007, 14:02   #9
BHPian

I feel especially for Mumbai Pune expressway that the limit not to be increased by 20 but to be increased to 40.

That expressway is amazing and 120 would be an ideal thing.. i did 160 on it n didnt even feel a bump.. such amazing that expressway is..
Old 4th December 2007, 14:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatoR View Post
Not sure about that too!
There's a place a few minutes after u get on the ex-way from mumbai side where the old road crosses over it, i have seen bikers driving towards the oncoming traffic in the leftmost lane. The regular traffic has to move right to dodge them. Can u imagine some biker comin right at u when u doin 100+. This is a recent observation but certainly not a one-off as i made atleast 4 trips the last month.
you shouldnt be doing a 100+ on that ghat area. but i agree. those scooters and bikers are crazy.
Old 4th December 2007, 14:36   #11
BHPian

How does it matter??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
I feel especially for Mumbai Pune expressway that the limit not to be increased by 20 but to be increased to 40.

That expressway is amazing and 120 would be an ideal thing.. i did 160 on it n didnt even feel a bump.. such amazing that expressway is..
That would be twice the legal limit

When there are a number of us doing 140+ on the existing E-Ways, does it really matter what the legal speed limit is? The only way to stop this menace would be to install speed cameras and introduce demerit point system.

But then I guess that would only lead to more people driving on invalid licenses. The learning and realisation has to come from within.

It is also imperative that the government should focus on making the roads better, before increasing the speed limit.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 4th December 2007, 14:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post

160... what was ur ride sir?
There is a off road from Bannerghatta rd to go towards
Mysore. This 12 odd km strech is pretty much
like the expressway. Then it gets connected to the main
highway which takes you to Wonder La, Chennapatna....Mysore.
I clocked 122 on this 12 km stretch with 2 passengers at the back (belted) and one in the front who eventually stopped breathing. Again, not a bump.
Old 4th December 2007, 14:52   #13
Team-BHP Support

Living in kerala- i have this stupid doubt!

WHAT IS AN EXPRESSWAY!
All we have are pot-holed filled highways which scares at anything above 60 kmph!
Old 4th December 2007, 15:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Expressway ? What expressway? And where is it in India? Do we really need this kind of law? Anyways, people will be doing around 100 kmph on NHs. Better they concentrate on infrastructure than these kind of gimmicks. Let them put up barricades on both sides of the NHs so that no stray animals/people cross the roads during daytime and sometimes during nightimes. This will avoid lot of accidents.
Old 4th December 2007, 15:13   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Living in kerala- i have this stupid doubt!

WHAT IS AN EXPRESSWAY!
All we have are pot-holed filled highways which scares at anything above 60 kmph!
GYAAN from Bennypedia: In the Keralite context, an EXPRESSWAY is something which keeps being promised by the powers of state, but to the common man is nothing more than a mirage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks