Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2008, 10:34   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
GM won the lawsuit and Cherry was forced to pull this design out of the market. I guess it applies only to China.
GM didn't win the lawsuit, and the QQ is still on sale in China.

GM and Chery settled on terms not released to the public. Based on remarks by Chinese officials, it appears it was basically in Chery's favor, because though Chery stole designs and other data from GM Daewoo, only evidence related to design patents would be considered, and GM had technically not applied for any in China, which the "court" considered, even though GM's suit also sought to invalidate those.

The only thing GM seems to have won is that if Chery exports car to the US (), they won't be sold under the "Chery" brand (too close to "Chevy").

End of the road for GM and Chery dispute - Managing Intellectual Property - 1 November 2005

I assume GM would sue to prevent such a thing from ever selling in India though.

Similar cars to this (such as ZAP's various Chinese-sourced models) have been shown at the NY Auto Show, and their interior quality is so horrendous that they're literally worse than if you took a 1:18 diecast model car and just enlarged the parts to scale.
Old 28th January 2008, 12:42   #47
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb9800 View Post
GM didn't win the lawsuit, and the QQ is still on sale in China.

GM and Chery settled on terms not released to the public. Based on remarks by Chinese officials, it appears it was basically in Chery's favor, because though Chery stole designs and other data from GM Daewoo,
I have seen the Chery QQ when I had travelled to Manila (from the outside). Would surely not call the styling as a copy of the Matiz by any long stretch of imagination. Don't know for sure about the drivetrain though.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I have seen the Chery QQ when I had travelled to Manila (from the outside). Would surely not call the styling as a copy of the Matiz by any long stretch of imagination. Don't know for sure about the drivetrain though.
I think you're looking at a different generation of the Matiz. Here's the one in question -- the QQ has nearly identical body panels, drivetrain parts, and more. GM demonstrated, to drive home the point, that doors from the original Matiz actually fit better on the QQ than Chery's own cheap parts do.

Here's a photo (Matiz on top, QQ below):

http://creativeadvertisingworld.com/...chery-20qq.jpg
Old 28th January 2008, 13:32   #49
BHPian

And if you're interested, here's a collection showing just how much they're able to copy and produce - everything from Hondas to Smarts, luxury buses, Rolls Royces, and pretty much anything else it seems:

The world of creative advertising » The Chinese fully ignore copyrights
Old 12th February 2008, 11:00   #50
BHPian

Bavina Motors 4 door electric cars

Chenni based Bavina Motors is all set to launch the 4 door electric cars
Pictures in the link
Automobile Planet: BAVINA ELECTRIC CARS
Old 12th February 2008, 11:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it the same as this ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ctric-car.html
Old 12th February 2008, 11:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

yes this would be welcome enough as for all the rush in the auto industry no one other than reva is into the electric cars.monopoly or not ,still there is enough scope for atleast 3-4 players in the segment.
ram
Old 12th February 2008, 11:39   #53
BHPian

yeah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Its the same but this time with more info.

MODS can you please merge this thread with the previous one.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:50   #54
BHPian

I dont know what these electric cars acheive. They are not non polluting, just moving the pollution from the roads to the Thermal/Nuclear power plant that generates the electricity. Not to mention the pollution from the battery manufacturing sites.
Old 12th February 2008, 12:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
They are not non polluting, just moving the pollution from the roads to the Thermal/Nuclear power plant that generates the electricity.
- few cities use thermal power, they use hydro electric power.
- Nuclear fuel lasts for years together,and uses water to produce electricity, though the volume of waste produced it more, its not thrown away to really pollute.
-When you buy new batteries you invariably give the old one to them right? all of the used ones are recycled by the company.

Last edited by gendarmee : 12th February 2008 at 12:25. Reason: correcting the quote bb code
Old 12th February 2008, 15:19   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
- few cities use thermal power, they use hydro electric power.
- Nuclear fuel lasts for years together,and uses water to produce electricity, though the volume of waste produced it more, its not thrown away to really pollute.
Not really. In India currently less than 25% of power generation capacity is Hydro Power. It is still mostly on coal. Nuclear power is less than 3%. So power generation is currently a highly polluting activity.
Old 12th February 2008, 16:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Not really. In India currently less than 25% of power generation capacity is Hydro Power. It is still mostly on coal. Nuclear power is less than 3%. So power generation is currently a highly polluting activity.
But in case of Nuclear/Thermal power, the pollution is not in densely populated area at least. Electric and Hybrid cars should be promoted a lot I guess, may be with tax reduction.
If Reva was good looking and bigger, I may have considered it for my wife. Good to know there are some developments in this area.
"Chinese" scares me though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks