Team-BHP - Bargain Techniques, tips and tricks
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Bargain Techniques, tips and tricks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/32269-bargain-techniques-tips-tricks.html)

Hello TeamBHP,

All of our members will be having great experience in dealing with new/used car purchase. What are all the tricks you used to bring it down when you purchase a car ?

So please list down the important things you taken care to reduce the price while purchasing a car?

Please refer to
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html
Hope it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous (Post 648802)

This is absolutely a great compilation from GTO and others ... But what we lacking here is the exact bargain points. On what points actually you reduced the price? That list would be really wonderful.

Bargaining is more an art than a science. A lot depends upon how much you are willing to pay for what you want, and how badly you want it. To put a value/price on what you are trying to buy, you need to know what you are trying to buy. That's where the above thread can help.

Just remember, to not fall in love with the car until after you buy it. Else you will most probably end up paying more than what you wanted to.

I don't think that in India, there is much room for bargaining. Maruti started out as a government company that would build a modern car for ordinary Indians. It still controls the market, and variation in price is tightly regulated. Other than what they officially offer as discount, corporate discount and exchange bonus there is not much else to get.

In the US, because of the huge size of the american economy, banks, etc. the car manufacturers are actually able to sell cars below cost for short periods of time, so there is a lot of variation in the prices. But that variation too is an illusion. Not many of the "bargains" that consumers get are really bargains.

Just my feeling, not based on any solid facts.

On first call the the Hyundai dealer offered me half of the insurance (12 K) and 7 K as corporate discount. The best part is he told me that I would be eligible for a special cash discount since I am working with a Korean company :) He assured me that he will confirm the amount tomorrow. Do you think any Indian company doing it ? Atleast abroad?

well i have a friend who is kinda good at it. Got himself floor mats, autocop and lrvm for his indica which they dont have as a standard fitment. Alos there is always a difference from one dealer to another

I'd like to revive this old thread from three years ago.

I want to buy a car "x" from a dealer "y", who happens to be the only dealer in city "z".

I met the dealer for the first time yesterday, took a test drive and was given the raw printed quotation. I asked for a revised quotation with any applicable discounts. Today, the dealer called me back saying 1) they were not giving any cash discounts on any of the cars and 2) it was not company policy and 3) the margins he was making were just 2% of the car price (and would I want to see him bankrupt?) 4) he was also including 4.1) original floor mats, 4.2) underbody treatement and 4.3) extended warranty in the price.

Now the question... I know (from Team-BHP forums) that massive _cash_ discounts of upto 35,000/- to 50,000/- were given on the said car.

What should I do next? Any tips from the pros' out here? What are the cards I have to bargain with the dealer?

1) I already told him that this was the end of the year, and just after Diwali (not much money with me).

2) I told him I started with the Dzire, and am stretching myself beyond my financial breaking point to purchase this car.

3) I told him that I really, really _do not_ want to be forced into buying alternative "a" for "p" and "q" reasons.

How do I conduct the negotiations? by phone? by email? meeting? should I take a tall, hefty guy along? (just joking!)

Any advice on how to proceed will be really helpful.

---
Hey! dealer! in the off chance you are reading this... send me a revised quotation with a reasonable discount.
---

Negotiations should always take place face to face.
Make sure that you give the impression that you are serious about buying the car, but not desperate to buy 'that' car.
Also, do not have any inhibitions while letting the SP know about what discounts/freebies you expect.
I fought for 5 minutes with a used car dealer for $25 - but politely and firmly. And I won.

If the Said car is an optra then yes there are discounts. If it is a Logan then the list price has been reduced.

If you can scan magazines like AutoCar and Overdrive where they have price points suggestions in the Bargain of the month section then use it to your advantage.

Print out messages from Forum's like Team Bhp and show him price points where people are buying it at

And lastly is the Car a honda Jazz :-)

I too think that bargaining is an art rather than a science. When I bought my first car (Alto) in 2006, I had gone to the dealer to buy a M800. The SP showed us (me, my mom, and my dad) the Alto too, telling us to buy the Alto instead of the M800. My mom instantly asked if we could buy the Alto at the same down payment of a M800. The SP gave us that option and we instantly got a 10k cash discount.

In the U.S., I got my used Camry for a $500 discount after hard (polite and firm) negotiations. That truly gave me a sense of satisfaction, even though the car probably was only worth that much. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreedotk (Post 2134859)
If you can scan magazines like AutoCar and Overdrive where they have price points suggestions in the Bargain of the month section then use it to your advantage.

Print out messages from Forum's like Team Bhp and show him price points where people are buying it at

That's a good suggestion... I'll buy the mags and print out the relevant posts to show the dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreedotk (Post 2134859)
And lastly is the Car a honda Jazz :-)

Not even close... this car is ~11 lakhs. I started looking at the Swift Dzire (ZXi) (7 lakhs), moved on to Linea T-jet+ (10 lakhs), then the Honda Civic (14.5 lakhs). Did not like the City (dull) or the Optra (dated)

The search left me confused and disappointed, when I had the revelation that the car "x" was for me. And if you've seen my other posts (I have very few posts here) you will know what it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper (Post 649065)
On first call the the Hyundai dealer offered me half of the insurance (12 K) and 7 K as corporate discount. The best part is he told me that I would be eligible for a special cash discount since I am working with a Korean company :) He assured me that he will confirm the amount tomorrow. Do you think any Indian company doing it ? Atleast abroad?

Friends,
Please clarify a few things (in my opinion it should be cleared to us before starting bargaining).
Many dealer offer discounts like mentioned quoted post and also body cover, floor mats, gold/ silver coins. Now my question is who bear these items/ amounts? Dealer in this business are very cunning.
Discount likes half/ full amount of insurance, corporate discount are big amounts. Who pays it? manufacturing company or dealer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Alok) (Post 2135460)
Who pays it? manufacturing company or dealer?

The customer pays. For all of it. (otherwise neither the manufacturer nor the dealer could not exist as a business).

The point of bargaining is to reduce the huge margins manufacturers and dealers tack on to the basic manufacturing and operating costs.

Normally, in India the retail individual customer pays around 20% to 30% more for things like cars than compared to businesses or government. As an example, the Maruthi SX4 VXi costs ~6 lakhs under government DGS&D rate contract compared with ~8 lakhs retail.

Want to know about a sure-shot successful way of bargaining? Shop Around. Be sure to tell the dealer that you are serious about the purchase (not a time waster), and that you WILL shop around. Pit different dealers of the same brand against each other for your business, or even other vehicles from the same category (e.g. Mahindra Xylo versus Tata Grande MKII). Watch the numbers tumble :)