Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2007, 15:55   #1
BHPian

ABS for Palio 1.6

I have a 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX and am in love with it!! I feel it's one of the most sensible fast cars for our bad roads.. Mine is a non ABS version. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to fit the ABS from the GTX SP version on to my car. Also how much will it cost?

Solly
Old 9th December 2007, 16:39   #2
BHPian

I was told by Fiat its not possible and I gather its not reliable/ safe to do after market fitting, its for my Petra 1.6.
Old 9th December 2007, 16:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly View Post
Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to fit the ABS from the GTX SP version on to my car. Also how much will it cost?
Solly
I think the main question is- How to source the parts?

Also, getting such an important job done is not going to be too reliable. And might be expensive as well.

Anyways, PM moralfibre. I think he may be able to anwer the question well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th December 2007 at 16:41.
Old 9th December 2007, 16:56   #4
WYN

Hi Solly..
Do you know of anyone who has done it before?

I doubt it! As far as I know, ABS is something which can't be fixed on a Non-ABS version vehicle (not just on the Palio but any car). It involves lot of specific components, sensors and Elec. control modules. Till date I have never really heard of such a conversion that has been done. Its probably beyond the scope of even the best workshops around, unless otherwise someone really has access to proper factory support, service manuals, installation guides & components etc.

I always advise my friends, spend a little eXtra cash and go in for atleast a ABS option on any car they buy. Like on the SWIFT VXI (with ABS option) is about Rs. 20,000 Extra and I say its worth it.

Hope the little info (to the best of my knowledge) helps.
Old 10th December 2007, 19:18   #5
BHPian

Sreenivass

Did you get the -ve from Fiat or from the dealer/ service center?

Crazy driver!!

If Palio came with an ABS option, we might be able to source the parts. Also we might be able to source some after market kit or from a totaled GTX SP!! Ok I'll PM moralfibre.

WYN

I don't think it will be too difficult a task. Ya I agree its not going to be easy but since there was a Palio model with ABS, It should not be too difficult.

Solly
Old 13th December 2007, 14:14   #6
BHPian

yes!!

u can do that but it will cost a bomb.
all 4 wheel hubs , all the braking lines.. fix new abs ecu+unit... changes in cluster... wil cos u close to 50k!!!! f u still want to do it .. i can.... and am ready...
Old 13th December 2007, 14:58   #7
BHPian

I don't think retro fitting ABS on a non ABS car is a good idea. apart from the cost involved , reliability may be a concern.
You don't want the brakes giving up on you when you need them the most, do u.
Old 13th December 2007, 19:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
u can do that but it will cost a bomb.
all 4 wheel hubs , all the braking lines.. fix new abs ecu+unit... changes in cluster... wil cos u close to 50k!!!! f u still want to do it .. i can.... and am ready...
Hey Turbosam, you are laughing out loud....are you serious? If yes, then would like to know more info on that.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:00   #9
BHPian

Hi, even if it is viable economically it would not be a good decision. Retro fittings are not done properly and to take a risk with ABS would not be proper.
Old 16th December 2007, 20:24   #10
BHPian

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
Hi, even if it is viable economically it would not be a good decision. Retro fittings are not done properly and to take a risk with ABS would not be proper.
sorry!!!
when i said the job can be done that means it can be done in a very good 100%reliable way.
it involves .. all 4 wheel hubs+4 sensors, ecu+wiring harness,all the plumbing+the motors+all the pressure joints+the cluster indicator ALL PROVIDED BY FIAT under their std. part numbers, fitted by one of the most qualified person by fiat trainings...+8trs of fiat only experience
so reliability is as good only as oem...its assumed

Last edited by TURBOSAM : 16th December 2007 at 20:26.
Old 16th December 2007, 20:31   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
sorry!!!
when i said the job can be done that means it can be done in a very good 100%reliable way.
it involves .. all 4 wheel hubs+4 sensors, ecu+wiring harness,all the plumbing+the motors+all the pressure joints+the cluster indicator ALL PROVIDED BY FIAT under their std. part numbers, fitted by one of the most qualified person by fiat trainings...+8trs of fiat only experience
so reliability is as good only as oem...its assumed
Can you tell me costing involved in detail including labour costs to do a conversion? I am interested.
Old 16th December 2007, 20:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Can you tell me costing involved in detail including labour costs to do a conversion? I am interested.
Well, even I am interested, that's the only thing lacks in my Palio, unfortunately there was no option available in 2006 when I bought.

TS - Can you please try and fixup something so as to get ABS on 1.6.
Old 16th December 2007, 21:26   #13
BHPian

its the delaer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly View Post
Sreenivass

Did you get the -ve from Fiat or from the dealer/ service center?

Crazy driver!!

If Palio came with an ABS option, we might be able to source the parts. Also we might be able to source some after market kit or from a totaled GTX SP!! Ok I'll PM moralfibre.

WYN

I don't think it will be too difficult a task. Ya I agree its not going to be easy but since there was a Palio model with ABS, It should not be too difficult.

Solly
Its the dealer that said no to me. I received a -ve even to install electrically operated wing mirrors. They said installation of the mirrors is not a problem, but they could give lot of problems.

Now my answer may be a kind of irrelevant because turbosam seems capable of doing it.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:48   #14
BHPian

I find most of the time, dealers are lazy and donot want to get into complecated stuff.
Old 18th December 2007, 00:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible - Yes
Is it advisable - No

Guys dont mess with your brakes, it can be dangerous, put what ever engine mods, ICE but never fiddle with your brakes IMO.

Most Viewed