Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 01:09   #1
BHPian

Lanka to export MICRO's Kyron SUVs to India

Colombo: Sri Lankan car company Micro Cars Ltd will export locally assembled South Korean Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) SsangYong Kyron to India from next year."There is a demand for quality SUVs in India," Micro Cars Managing Director Lawrence Perera told reporters here.

The company has already sent test vehicles to India and received "very good" response, he said, adding Micro Cars would export its locally assembled Kyron SUVs to India from next year.

The company is manufacturing two SUV type vehicles with the price staring from 7.5 million Sri lankan Rupees (around 68,000 dollars).

He said the company had invested Rs 300 million in the last six months for expanding its plant in Polgahawela, 60 kms north-east from Colombo.

Perera said the body of the vehicle, mirrors, seats and rubber component including the tyres would be manufactured in Sri Lanka.

"We are in the process of acquiring technology to have more local components to the vehicles," he said.

Perera added that the price of the vehicle would be considerably less than that of a directly imported vehicle.

The move by the government to purchase locally made cars would help to save foreign exchange, he said.

Micro Car is now in a position to manufacture 50 units per month. "This is why we are going in for exports," he added.

The company manufactures around 300 vehicles which include cars, SUVs and Micro vans for the local market.

SsangYong Motor Company is the fourth largest South Korean automobile manufacturer.

Source: Lanka to export SUVs to India - MSN India - News - News

This is what we gonna have in India Guys Kyron
M.I.C.R.O - M • i • C • R • O --- 1st Ever sri Lankan Car

Comments

Last edited by Hyundai.Lover : 10th December 2007 at 01:12.
Old 10th December 2007, 01:57   #2
BANNED

68,000 US dollars for a Lankan assembled Korean SUV? Umm.. umm..
Old 10th December 2007, 02:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
68,000 US dollars for a Lankan assembled Korean SUV? Umm.. umm..
On the site it says
"KYRON SUV 4X4 WITH MERCEDES BENZ TECHNOLOGY"

I Don't know what's there in it like Benz's Tech? But all i know the Price are like Merc's Price.

Last edited by Hyundai.Lover : 10th December 2007 at 02:07.
Old 10th December 2007, 02:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good that they'll be bringing the '08 look model here.
Following pic taken from their website:

A roadtest by a srilankan auto forum member: Micro Kyron Road Test - AutoLanka
Lankan Kyron's Website: M • i • C • R • O --- 1st Ever sri Lankan Car
More pics on this page: Ssangyong Kyron | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express
Old 10th December 2007, 02:20   #5
BHPian

I must say sharp designing there by the Lankans.My eyes popped out.Check that site out.
But INR 27.2 lacs??? No way.
Old 10th December 2007, 04:29   #6
BANNED

It has some merc in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
On the site it says
"KYRON SUV 4X4 WITH MERCEDES BENZ TECHNOLOGY"

I Don't know what's there in it like Benz's Tech? But all i know the Price are like Merc's Price.
All the Ssangyongs have some Mercedes touch in it. This is due to an arrangement they had in 90s and early 2000s. There're some Ssangyongs running in different parts of the world with mercedes engines doing duty in it. They also get serviced by Mercedes. Most of their 4X4 technology was shared from Mercedes. Nice, right?
Old 10th December 2007, 04:57   #7
BHPian

Fyi, I read lately that SSangyong is planning to discontinue SUVs. Reg Merc technology, it is gear box and the engine I hope like its Musso suv.
Old 10th December 2007, 06:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the Ssangyongs have some Mercedes touch in it. This is due to an arrangement they had in 90s and early 2000s. There're some Ssangyongs running in different parts of the world with mercedes engines doing duty in it. They also get serviced by Mercedes. Most of their 4X4 technology was shared from Mercedes. Nice, right?
Wasnt the MB140 also a Ssanyong product?

The front of the Kyron looks exactly like the new S Class. Besides the 68,000 dollars is how much it costs in Sri Lanka, once it gets imported here that figure gets doubled.
Old 10th December 2007, 08:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Cool thats the ans i was looking for my confused mind about merc touch in it.
thanx
Old 10th December 2007, 14:34   #10
BHPian

Buying a Srilanka made car? I will be happy buying a Tata Safari top end or Scorpio vlx.
Old 11th December 2007, 01:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Buying a Srilanka made car? I will be happy buying a Tata Safari top end or Scorpio vlx.
Damn it.. .... I will be happy to buy our good old Amby
Old 11th December 2007, 01:58   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Besides the 68,000 dollars is how much it costs in Sri Lanka, once it gets imported here that figure gets doubled.
Are you kidding me?? 68K is insane, double that is double insane. What is the point in even launching such a product. What chance does it stand against the Grand Vitara, or the Land Crusier?
May be a couple guys who otherwise dump their cash at the hundi's in Tirupati would buy this one. 90% of Indians cant even say ***-***-ongyong.
Old 11th December 2007, 02:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nah! No way this is gonna click. Looks and function may be good,but with a price tag like that,no one would get this SUV. Its just too expensive.
Merc gear box- good. Looks-good. But please price it right,MICRO.
Old 11th December 2007, 02:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
"There is a demand for quality SUVs in India," Micro Cars Managing Director Lawrence Perera told reporters here.
....................... SsangYong Motor Company is the fourth largest South Korean automobile manufacturer.
what on earth is "quality" and "SsangYong" doing in the same article?????
The fourth largest south korean manufacturer??? how rubbish did they have to be to score 4th place in south korea?? to make things even better Shanghai motor company has a 51% stake it!!

27.2 Lacs for a fugly SUV made by south koreans who are funded by the chinese...... yeah right!!!
Old 11th December 2007, 03:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Makes me think.. what are the market analysts/economists doing? Don't they have even the slightest idea about what type of vehicles would click in India? Seems like the Govt. makes a chunk of money by letting these car makers to introduce such dumb vehicles,without even considering the chances of it being a big flop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks