Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 01:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
@iraghava:looking at the picture,its more like you put the money in your belly(JW)...
To each his own I guess.
Old 12th December 2007, 03:19   #32
BHPian

Probably gonna be the only one to vote for it but each his own. The Mahindra Classic. Love it, always have, always will. But will not own it in all probability.

Anyways if its cult status you are after has to be OHC vtec.
Old 12th December 2007, 09:42   #33
BHPian

The OHC VTEC of course.
It is cult status in TBHP.

I settled for one after a 4-month long / 9 VTEC's strong search with all the suggestions and confusions from TBHP . Thanks.

Pulled out of deals thrice when I wanted to sell it and move on to a bigger diesel, just for the cult status it enjoys here.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:16   #34
Team-BHP Support

Having owned none of the cars listed, i would probably vote for the Lancer. Love the design.

IMO, i would say the Baleno enjoys cult status here at TBHP.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Can we have a poll??? It would easier to see the backing for any particular car then... plz plz plz...
Old 12th December 2007, 10:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Can we have a poll??? It would easier to see the backing for any particular car then... plz plz plz...
Please include the Lancer in the poll as well ... I wonder why the Lancer does not come into this discussion ... it was the enthusiasts choice in the late 90's and the early 2000's
Old 12th December 2007, 10:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Well - just because guys who own a particular car, are a bit vocal in their support makes that car a cult car ?
Old 12th December 2007, 10:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Well - just because guys who own a particular car, are a bit vocal in their support makes that car a cult car ?
I really dont have much time today to write more on cultism, so here's a copy-paste from the wiki.

Quote:
A group's populist cult status begins as rumors of its novel belief system, its great devotions, its idiosyncratic practices, its perceived harmful or beneficial effects on members, or its perceived opposition to the interests of mainstream cultures and governments.
so, dear mod,... you can probably run a query on your forum database to answer this.

one undeniable point,... the cultism involving the OHC VTEC here @ TBHP has had many a member in its clutches, either leading to ownership or the lust to own one.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think we should stay away from the cult culture, but thats my personal opinion.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:01   #40
BHPian

Even the esteem has been excluded, From 93' it has had a strong presence, I still remember the articles on it when it was launched, "wolf in sheep's clothing" ; "The 1000 with a sting in its tail" to quote some, IT is one of the most value for money performance cars out there. But of course it is stopped, But still reigns the 1.3 ltr class when it comes to performance.

Last edited by redrage : 12th December 2007 at 11:04.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Please include the Lancer in the poll as well ... I wonder why the Lancer does not come into this discussion ... it was the enthusiasts choice in the late 90's and the early 2000's
You answered your query yourself. The lancer has fallen off most people's radar- not a good thing when you are talking of cult cars. On the contrary, all the other cars here are contemporaries of the lancer (give or take a couple o fyears) and still evoke such passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself, NC!!

we need to understand what goes into making a cult car. a niche following doen not make a cult car. That is why a 1967 Mustang is a cult car.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:28   #42
BHPian

It's Palio 1.6 for me. For its handling and performance. I am at home when i drive this beauty. Did 170 once and was amazed at how well she handled. Next choice is OHC. That was one very good car from Honda.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

If there is a vote for the cars whose owners are highly vocal bordering on noisy, then it has to go to the 1. Palio 2. Baleno 3. Tata Safari. Thats my list.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:37   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
It's Palio 1.6 for me. For its handling and performance. I am at home when i drive this beauty. Did 170 once and was amazed at how well she handled. Next choice is OHC. That was one very good car from Honda.
Whats with you Palio owners, I agree its a great car and much revered too, so it may qualify as a cult car.

OT: I was racing a red RS this morning driven by a very young fella and he seemed like an experienced racer, he was slowing down tempting me and then rushing out with a scream of engine and tyres squealing like crazy.

This brings me to a point, why is it we don't talk about the expensive cars which obviously have much higher power and thrill giving capabilities? I can think of Skoda RS, Toyota Corolla ( very quick car), Ford Mondeo ( super drivers car)
Old 12th December 2007, 12:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This brings me to a point, why is it we don't talk about the expensive cars which obviously have much higher power and thrill giving capabilities? I can think of Skoda RS, Toyota Corolla ( very quick car), Ford Mondeo ( super drivers car)
The simple reason for that is that cult cars have always tended tobe affordable for a large number of people. Thus, with many more people experiencing them and extolling their virtues, an aura develops around the car and more fanatical is the following.

te more expensive a car, te lesser its chance of being a cult car.

some cult cars from history:

ford Mustang
ford thunderbird (original one)
Corvette stingray
pontiac trans am
Mini cooper
Pugeot 205 GTI (both 1.6 and 1.9- but the 1.9 more so)
VW Golf GTi (MK I and II)
Ford Sierra Cossworth (My Fav!!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks