Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 19:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata 1 lac car, suzuki doubts quality !

Personally I think suzuki has started to feel the heat. But then we are talking of a long standing player talking about safety in India, and both tata and suzuki have managed to release ABS and airbags too. So does suzuki actually think its an impossible feat by tata?

srik

From rediff.com (Tatas' Rs 1-lakh car? Suzuki doubts quality)

Tatas' Rs 1-lakh car? Suzuki doubts quality

PTI | December 11, 2007 | 14:14 IST

Japanese automaker Suzuki Motor Co took another pot-shot at Tata Motors over the proposed Rs 1-lakh car, saying if a compromise on quality and safety norms was made for lower pricing, it would not be shouldering "the responsibility of an auto manufacturer".
Replying to a question on Suzuki's preparedness in response to Tatas' Rs 1-lakh car, SMC chairman Osamu Suzuki said: "In case there is sacrifice on safety and emission norms, the manufacturer does not truly shoulder the responsibility of an auto manufacturer." Suzuki was speaking at a function organised by Ficci.

Responding to Suzuki's statement, a Tata Motors spokesperson said it was conscious of its responsibilities. "As an auto manufacturer of more than 60 years standing, Tata Motors is conscious of its responsibilities, and all its vehicles have met all the norms and regulations of the countries where they are marketed in," a Tata Motors spokesperson said.
This is not the first time that SMC chief had expressed his doubts over the Rs 1-lakh car of Tata Motors. A couple of years back he had wondered if the product would be a three wheeler with a stepny.
Later in the day, while announcing SMC's new global product A-Star, Suzuki refused to be drawn into a discussion on the $3000 car being planned by global automaker like Renault and Hyundai.
"We don't know the details of $3000, is it the part cost? Is it the retail cost...what are the safety norms, what is the carbon dioxide emission norm..does it include air bags?" Suzuki said. He said unless those parameters were clear it was difficult to comment on the low-cost cars.

Last edited by GeekSrik : 11th December 2007 at 19:58.
Old 11th December 2007, 20:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people doubt whether Tata will be able to pull it off - Hyundai is another naysayer.
Ratan Tata has responded to critics on pollution, saying the car's emissions will be as low as a motorbike.
Old 11th December 2007, 20:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
does it include air bags? .
Thats a "foot in the mouth" statement. Where are the airbags in the Maruti 800/Alto for them to comment on the safety of low cost car. Mr Jagdish Kattar on the other hand claims Maruti 800 is safer than Mercedes.
Old 11th December 2007, 21:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Asking about airbags when almost 99% cars of suzuki india doesn't have them!!
heard something positive about japanese cars here in t-bhp..

hmm..the influence of indian politics in corporate sector?
Old 11th December 2007, 21:02   #5
BANNED

It is just a luser carping. It is obvious that SMC is feeling the heat.
Reminds me of the marketing tactics used by IBM in the past and Microsoft in the present - every time the prospect mentions the competition, the salesmen will whisper "will they be in business next year?"
Such tactics simply makes you the most hated corporate.
Old 11th December 2007, 21:50   #6
BHPian

I do agree that quality of TATA cars is not at par but how about MSIL, they are on other side of coin. Regarding Safety, I don't think MSIL cars (except Swift, SX4) will able to pass European safety norms. I own few of MSIL products and used some TATA ones, I am sure TATA cars are better in saving lives and not MSIL ones. MSIL do not provide safety features like ABS and Airbags even in most selling Alto. One thing is for sure, MSIL and Hyundai are helping TATA to create awareness and marketing 1 lac car.

btw: I am not against MSIL or for TATA.
Old 11th December 2007, 21:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

maybe smc is feeling the heat.safety is a relative aspect on how safe you are.but considering the cost safety is also a concern if SMC dint say the statement too we would consider safety also before a decission is made.i rather doubt the safety of that car.when auto ricks are sold for 120000 whats the status of the safety of a car with 2 more additional doors and a proper stearing and a wheel extra and still costing a lakh.
ram
Old 11th December 2007, 22:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think its a volume play. I remember reading that most of the parts required are ordered in volumes that they get real good discount. And since the order is not one time, the supplier also need not deliver everything at one time, its regular confirmed order and continuous.
Also, it has only 1 wiper. So, 50% saving in that
I think its less than 800cc (600cc??) and so even the tax would be less.
Old 11th December 2007, 22:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

We cannot expect a whole world of gadgets to be accomodated in the $3000 car. But it defnately will have the minimum basics of safety in the car. Ratan Tata will bring down the surprise and will launch the car as planned otherwise, he will loose his credibility in the market.
Old 11th December 2007, 22:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

What was the pricing of Maruti 800 pre-Tata Indica era? How is it that Maruti 800 defies inflation. People who say Breakeven point has happened at the 800, the answer is that had happened long back. Why does ALTO sell at a higher price bracket as the 800 (when it is just a successor to it?).

The day the 1-lakh car is launched, the 800 will see a further dip in retail price and the previous owners will know how much they were taken for a ride for.

How much did the Baleno prices take a dive before becoming one favourite car with a lot of people.

Look at the History of Esteem prices.

Now they might be offereing value in terms of pricing, but there is a huge truth in the fact that their cars were grossly overpriced for many years.

Last edited by 1100D : 11th December 2007 at 22:56.
Old 11th December 2007, 23:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with u.My 1998 'Carburated' 800 was brought for 2 lakh and 64 thousand.And now an mpfi one is available for 2 lakhs.
And how can kattar comment on the tatas one lakh car when the 800 and omni are the worst in safety.
Old 11th December 2007, 23:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

For a man who sells Omnis in this day and age, he sure has guts to say something like that to Tata. Too bad there weren't any smart people around to set him right.
Old 11th December 2007, 23:12   #13
Team-BHP Support

Whatever others say, Ratan Tata is man of honour and will stick his word about the price of the car price even if Tata Motors does not make any money out of this car. Tata as a family can easily support the manufacture of even a loss making car but will not move away from a commitment. This is my opinion and hope that I am not proved wrong in future by Tata
Old 11th December 2007, 23:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indica is a Swift category car retailing at Alto prices. Now, there has been quality glitches galore (quite a characteristic of an auto manufacturer on a learning curve - even the japanese were known at one point to manufacture cars that were crap), but swift build quality is no great shakes either. Moreover I guess the Indica far outsells the Swift.

The fact that Maruti has a smaller offering at the Indica bracket is another thing. But for the case of the 1 lakh car that is not going to be the case.

The future cars for us will be provided by us only. Lets wish ourselves luck.
Old 11th December 2007, 23:49   #15
BANNED

Think on the brighter side. If not Maruti, who else can comment on safety part of the 1lac car? They themselves were the ones who were playing hide and seek all this while with Omni etc... So, they're just making sure Tata doesn't repeat their mistakes. Good thinking na!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks