Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 20:26   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

They same thing they did about the diesel cars too... At one time Mr. MD of SMC said that all the diesel cars needs to be banned, until they released one, now tey are talking about safety...

Cheap guys at high positions

regards,
-manju
Old 12th December 2007, 22:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

But what Maruti has done (maybe they received that advantage out of government protectionism for more than a decade) is provide peace of mind factor to all of its patrons, in terms of Service Centre infrastructure being available almost everywhere. The campaign that "wherever you go you are never far away from the Maruti service centre" was really a gem. It touched the right chords. Infact that is solely the reason Maruti (and Hyundai to some extent) enjoy the fan following inspite of providing some serious crap for years.
Old 13th December 2007, 00:17   #33
BHPian

This might all be for the better. listening to suzuki , Tata might actually incorporate some safety features in the car.

Going by Tata's reputation anything is possible. Remember these Truck makers managed to make an indegineous indica.
Old 13th December 2007, 00:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

This whole idea of the 1lakh rupee car scares me... Anyways we have these rickshaws running around here and there..to top that we will have small tinne mieeennie 1lakh ruppe cars running around like flies... freak its going to be a freak show on the road. Hope i dont trample over 1 of them.
Old 13th December 2007, 01:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
The statement is from Mr Osama Suzuki who does not have the credibility of providing cars with features nowhere equal to the same models launched in other part of the world.
OT, but isnt he Osamu Suzuki? The original Osama probably wouldnt be too concerned by Tata's 1LCar.
Old 13th December 2007, 02:19   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Personally I think suzuki has started to feel the heat. But then we are talking of a long standing player talking about safety in India, and both tata and suzuki have managed to release ABS and airbags too. So does suzuki actually think its an impossible feat by tata?

srik

From rediff.com (Tatas' Rs 1-lakh car? Suzuki doubts quality)

Tatas' Rs 1-lakh car? Suzuki doubts quality

PTI | December 11, 2007 | 14:14 IST

Japanese automaker Suzuki Motor Co took another pot-shot at Tata Motors over the proposed Rs 1-lakh car, saying if a compromise on quality and safety norms was made for lower pricing, it would not be shouldering "the responsibility of an auto manufacturer".
Replying to a question on Suzuki's preparedness in response to Tatas' Rs 1-lakh car, SMC chairman Osamu Suzuki said: "In case there is sacrifice on safety and emission norms, the manufacturer does not truly shoulder the responsibility of an auto manufacturer." Suzuki was speaking at a function organised by Ficci.

Responding to Suzuki's statement, a Tata Motors spokesperson said it was conscious of its responsibilities. "As an auto manufacturer of more than 60 years standing, Tata Motors is conscious of its responsibilities, and all its vehicles have met all the norms and regulations of the countries where they are marketed in," a Tata Motors spokesperson said.
This is not the first time that SMC chief had expressed his doubts over the Rs 1-lakh car of Tata Motors. A couple of years back he had wondered if the product would be a three wheeler with a stepny.
Later in the day, while announcing SMC's new global product A-Star, Suzuki refused to be drawn into a discussion on the $3000 car being planned by global automaker like Renault and Hyundai.
"We don't know the details of $3000, is it the part cost? Is it the retail cost...what are the safety norms, what is the carbon dioxide emission norm..does it include air bags?" Suzuki said. He said unless those parameters were clear it was difficult to comment on the low-cost cars.
Leave alone the one lakh car,i agree tata does not make some best quality cars but i feel maruti is second from bottom when it comes to quality.
Old 13th December 2007, 10:35   #37
BHPian

I have experienced the "quality" factor and just know what Maruti is talking about.
Indica is our first car (bought during Mar'01) and 3 of us in the family learned to drive on it, making all the wrong moves (in terms of gearing, and all), and the poor guy has held himself to such an abuse.
While a joint in the gear shifter in our Maruti 800 (bought in Jun'04) gave up within 11 months of purchase, and that too for being driven by a single owner (that's me.. hehe).
I still fume at this thought, considering it happened at about 1030pm and the car stuck in 3rd gear. I can forgive the rattles that crept up early on the Maruti, but not component failures like these.
By the way, the windscreen washer has conked off, last week
Old 13th December 2007, 11:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

phew, some number of replies this

now the only thing tata ought to do is also launch an automatic version even if slightly higher priced (read that double) and lure all the women into buying one! much like our narendra modi luring them for votes

flavours of the season!
srik
Old 13th December 2007, 12:05   #39
BHPian

I think Ratan Tata will have the last laugh and wave TATAs to all those Doubting the I lakh Concept...! In more of less- Maruti will either join the bus or reduce the price of the 800 bringing it closer to the competitive price.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Mr.Suzuki expecting Air-bags on a 1 lakh Car when he couldn't provide ABS forget Air-bags on their 3 - 4.5 lakh Cars???

On the other hand, can't imagine how the traffic will be after the 1 lac Tata Car comes on Road, can imagine numerous Reva like Cars pottering all over the congested Roads.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
now the only thing tata ought to do is also launch an automatic version even if slightly higher priced (read that double) and lure all the women into buying one!
If I'm not mistaken, the 1-lakh car features a CVT.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Look all of you, don't flame Mr.Suzuki. What he and Jagdish Khattar said a few months back is right.

After all, Maruti-Suzuki has perfected the art of making a car for just Rs.2.xx lakhs with no ABS or Air-Bags and maybe with no safety beams which is more safer then a 70 odd lakh rupee S Class. Look how Mercedes is ripping us off in the garb of making the safest car in the world. You people should be thankful to peope like Mr.Khattar who opened our eyes to this rip off!

So Mr.Suzuki talks about absence of safety in a one lack rupee car while he sells a 7 lac rupee sedan with no airbags and ABS and a over 5 lac rupee diesel hatch with no rear wash wipe.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the 1-lakh car features a CVT.
No you aren't mistaken!
Kinetic will make them.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

safety is a relative aspect.just imagine are you safe if you have an airbag.what should be said of people using cars and dont bother to put on the seat belts.and his car is having an airbag and expecting him to be safe is odd.we can pu it this way.the safest for the money you spend.you spend only 2 L and want the safety features of a 70L car is crazy.so the question is how safe the 1L car is .and whether any one prfers to travell in such a car.will it be used on golf courses to transport guys and clubs or is it used on our traffic infested odd mannered police managed roads.
ram
Old 13th December 2007, 14:12   #45
BHPian

I think the 1 lakh car is an excellent concept and talking of safety will be as safe as you can expect a 1 lakh car to be if not more. I really pity Suzuki for having to come down so low as to comment on the safety features of a 1 lakh car which they once said was impossible (probably they still think 800 and omni are safer like mercedes which they once claimed. Ratan known what he is up to and he is going to succeed. The only problem is the after effect of it which can be devastating for indian traffic and roads

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks