Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 18:54   #1
HSV
BHPian

No affordable automatics available in Delhi until next year - Wierd!

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to start this discussion, so needless to say "Mods, pls feel free to move this thread in the right place".

Have been thinking about buying an A/T since the past some time. However the wierd thing is that there arent ANY available in the affordable range until next year (or later).

HONDA:
1) Dealers say that Civic 1.8S A/T model has been discontinued, and thus company would not manufacture any more units of this variant. No one has any in stock. Dealers quote lack of demand for the A/T. Going forward the only available model would be the 1.8V A/T.

2) None of the dealers have the City ZX CVT in stock. They say that may only be able to book one beginning 2008. That too they are not sure, some even suspect that the company may have (unofficially) discontinued the CVT. Again they quote lack of demand for this variant.

TOYOTA:
1) None of the dealers have the H3 or H4 in stock. Again they too say that may be able to book going forward in 2008, however they suspect that company may not offer the A/T variant as it may be unofficially discontinued.

2) Dealers mention that a shake up is likely going forward next year. Company plans to bring in the Fortuner SUV at around 19 Lacs towards Aug-Sep08. Also a new sedan is likely in 2.0 Litre engine. Advised him that was aware that its the new Corolla. Dealer said wasnt sure that it may be christened the Corolla, as company may even plan to discontinue the higher Corolla variants and offer only the lower ones, and may rechristen the new sedan with a new name and sell it side by side. BTW he also mentioned that a diesel engine was unlikely.

HYUNDAI:
1) Santro A/T had been discontinued (as everyne already knows), and there are none in stock with the dealers.

2) Spoke to HMP and they said that i10 A/T may be expected some time around Feb08 ending - that too he wasnt sure as it may be further postponed.

3) Asked dealer if any other A/T was expected other than i10, like say in Getz? Dealer confirmed none other than i10.

MUL/SUZUKI:
1) WagonR AX has been discontinued and company will not manufacture any more. None available anywhere in stock.

SKODA:
1) Upcoming Fabia will NOT have an A/T. period.

2) Octavia A/T - not worth buying at the price its being offered. period.

So what options does one have in case they are looking to buy an affordable A/T car (petrol/diesel) in Delhi in December07?? NONE!

Thanks & regards,

Last edited by HSV : 12th December 2007 at 18:59.
Old 12th December 2007, 18:58   #2
BANNED

You could try getting the Honda Civic A/T in the second hand car market.
I did see some of them being sold over there.
Try carwale.com and see if you could find some of them available over there.
Old 12th December 2007, 20:10   #3
BHPian

Check my post.
Today I got call from Kothari, about bookings for i10 automatic. They were asking to book the car. They claim 4 week waiting.
Old 12th December 2007, 20:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

HSV, what is your criteria and what is your budget? A Civic A/T is almost triple the price of a Santro A/T
Old 13th December 2007, 02:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have a huge range fro an auto box, from a Santro to a Civic. Which is the one you really want?
If you do want a new City CVT please let me know, I can get you one from the dealer in bombay. I think he can also help us with the Civic A/T but only iff you are seriously interested only then will I ask him.
Another option is the Optra A/T but i think even that is discontinued.
Old 13th December 2007, 02:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know what does the word 'affordable' mean to you but i absolutely love Laura DSG and Civic automatic(dont know about availablity though) .
Old 13th December 2007, 04:06   #7
BANNED

Easy! Buy the Accord A/T.
The V6 may be a bit too petrol thirsty! The 2.4vtil will do the job pretty well. Butter smooth shifts and a gem of an engine! Reasonably luxurious and good quality built too. Worth every penny you pay. The service costs are peanuts and they have an immaculate customer care department.
If you can't find that too in Delhi, then I can speak to the dealer here and ask him for a Delhi delivery from his next coming stock (if any). But as V16 said, only if you're really serious.

BTW, Ain't next year just 18 days away?

Last edited by speedzak : 13th December 2007 at 04:08. Reason: Remembered about next year.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:57   #8
BANNED

i'd like to see new lancers, sx4 and all of those in auto boxes. atleast make them on orders damn it. take 20 days to make one. so sad this country offers nothing and charges taxes like crazy
Old 13th December 2007, 12:08   #9
BHPian

With the traffic conditions worsening i think automatics are really needed in india. They are so popular abroad but how come not here.

Manufactures should release good 5 speed auto boxes for cars in all segments at about 20-30k premium.

I personally thought there was good demand for NHC CVT and Civic AT, suprized to know dealers arent taking any orders for them.
Old 13th December 2007, 15:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

They only market what they can sell! Take team-bhp for example. How many people here have automatics in india?

If, in an educated community like this, the ratio of automatics is so low, what could you expect from others, in a country where FE has priority? And- then there are people who cant afford it. I'd like to have an automatic for the family, but cant afford any good automatics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
True! No long waits then!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th December 2007 at 15:44.
Old 13th December 2007, 16:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Hi Guys,

TOYOTA:
1) None of the dealers have the H3 or H4 in stock. Again they too say that may be able to book going forward in 2008, however they suspect that company may not offer the A/T variant as it may be unofficially discontinued.

I think Galaxy Motinagar has the Corolla H3 in stock, since I just talked to them. Unfortunately, Civic 1.8S AT is no longer available, which would have been 70K cheaper than 1.8V. i10-only the Lord knows when the press release statement would become fact.
Old 13th December 2007, 16:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Easy! Buy the Accord A/T.
The V6 may be a bit too petrol thirsty! The 2.4vtil will do the job pretty well. Butter smooth shifts and a gem of an engine! Reasonably luxurious and good quality built too. Worth every penny you pay. The service costs are peanuts and they have an immaculate customer care department.
If you can't find that too in Delhi, then I can speak to the dealer here and ask him for a Delhi delivery from his next coming stock (if any). But as V16 said, only if you're really serious.

Accord is a good car, but very expensive, fuel thirsty for Indian budgets, and dents repair hurt more (I think the higher priced the car, the higher the cost of denting/painting!). In Corolla, a door paint invariably involves not only the cost of denting/painting of 4.5K, but also replacement of side moulding at around 2.2-2.4K. Consider cost of denting/painting (even with insurance, you have to pay) for Indian traffic.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:01   #13
Team-BHP Support

Nothing new, but still some hope for ppl waiting for automatics
Hyundai to launch i-20 in 2008
Old 26th December 2007, 14:07   #14
BHPian

If the information is right, then Tata 1 lakh car is expected to be available in automatic version too.
Old 26th December 2007, 15:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda has always been serious about automatics... I doubt they will discontinue the Civic and City autos. Check with other dealer and possibly other cities for a clearer picture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks