Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 11:21   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yes. Swift with ABS is only a minority. We still are very ignorant about safety.

However, people buying Palio are not too ignorant. They buy it for the car, its features and VFM, and not because everybody else is buying it. So, it could make a difference. Hope FIAT is listening.
Its not a minority even. I hardly see any Swift VXi with ABS... may be 2-3 till now and going by how many swifts are already on the road, the number isnt worth a discussion.
But I hope FIAT provides it as an option atleast, when every manufacturer is going the safety way, why shouldnt they.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:25   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Quite a few people who dont have much idea or interest in cars will say that Fiat has taken Marutis DDIS engine
And I dont think such a person is ever gonna look at FIAT

Quote:
How is Palio better? In which way, Can you please elaborate. AFAIK, the Swift handles way better then the Palio, the Swift looks way better too, the A.S.S service of the Swift is way ahead, plus the Swift is a newer product = latesth & not to mention it sells 20 times more then Fiats Palio sells per month.
Depends.... If it were looks, I would buy Palio over Swift anyday. Besides AFAIK I would prefer a balance of ride and handling than harsh ride and brilliant handling, which is what Swift is. And I havent mentioned steering feel and clutch both of which are better in Palio. Its on par but not better offcourse.
20 times? When did swift sell 10k's units a month!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 29th January 2008 at 11:28.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:28   #288
Senior - BHPian

All of us here may shout and scream that Fiat should at least offer ABS and Air bags as an option but the fact is that even if the Palio offers ABS+EBD, 6 AirBags and ESP as standard equipment at Rs.50,000 less then the Swift VDi alongwith ready delivery at a discount, people will still wait 6 months for a Swift LDi.

Last edited by amit : 29th January 2008 at 11:29.
Old 29th January 2008, 13:34   #289
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
All of us here may shout and scream that Fiat should at least offer ABS and Air bags as an option but the fact is that even if the Palio offers ABS+EBD, 6 AirBags and ESP as standard equipment at Rs.50,000 less then the Swift VDi alongwith ready delivery at a discount, people will still wait 6 months for a Swift LDi.
And can you elaborate on why would that be?
Old 29th January 2008, 14:20   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Because people in India dont look at Fiat brand as they should. Fiat is a wonderful brand. Makes wonderful cars but it doesnot sell, due to the resale value, laid back A.S.S & relatively pricey spares wrt competition.

@ Extreme - I totally agree with you, the build quality of Fiat vehicles is fantastic, the ride is way better then Swift, but as a overall vehicle Swift beats it in engine, handling, looks(subjective), A.S.S & resale department.

Palio Stile sells 300 units, Swift sells 6000, thats 20 times now is int it
Old 29th January 2008, 14:26   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree with you, the build quality of Fiat vehicles is fantastic, the ride is way better then Swift, but as a overall vehicle Swift beats it in engine, handling, looks(subjective), A.S.S & resale department.
Busa, I beg to disagree here, engine wise both Swift D and Palio MJD has same, Looks (very subjective), I still feel Palio looks great compared to other hatches, Swift scores only in handling, A.S.S. and maybe Resale, nothing else.
Old 29th January 2008, 14:27   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I would say that its a matter of perspective. Fiat messed up big time the last time they came into india. The first GTXs that came when fiat launched in 2000-2001 came with ABS and Airbags, but there were hardly any takers. Junta would still go for something else. Their service was abysmal and support - the less said the better. also, being a performance car, the GTX gave a really low mileage... hence the "bad car" image associated with it.

Fiat is having a tough time trying to shake it off...we can only wait and watch what happens.
Old 29th January 2008, 14:29   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Extreme - I totally agree with you, the build quality of Fiat vehicles is fantastic, the ride is way better then Swift, but as a overall vehicle Swift beats it in engine, handling, looks(subjective), A.S.S & resale department.
Engine would be the same 1.3 MJD and being a FIAT engine, I expect them to mate it better in Palio. I have a strong feeling that FIAT is gonna turn tables this time around.

Quote:
Palio Stile sells 300 units, Swift sells 6000, thats 20 times now is int it
The last I heard, the stile sales have increased to 500 units a month
Old 29th January 2008, 14:36   #294
Senior - BHPian

Guys i meant to say that currently since the Palio MJD has not been launched the Swifts engine scores over it. I would prefer a Palio anyday if they come with the same engine, but dread the resale value.

500 units thats still 12 times, now isint it
Old 29th January 2008, 14:48   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys i meant to say that currently since the Palio MJD has not been launched the Swifts engine scores over it.
If Palio MJD is yet to be launched, how can Swift's engine score over it?
Old 29th January 2008, 15:28   #296

Funky Interiors

Hey I suppose Palio MJD has got some funky interiors, I mean seats are fabulous- a mixture of red and biege. Well I didnt got a look at the dashboard. But I think they have used a better quality plastics this time.
Old 29th January 2008, 16:40   #297
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

We see all these discussions going on comparing the Swift DDiS with the much awaited Fiat Palio MJD. It is all happening to Fiat because of the bad reputation because of certain dealers or their wrong choice of tie ups in India they have established in their last stay in the indian market. Its high time we get over it. I can see the aggressiveness from Fiat to get over it. Like the Stile Petrol the MJD would be priced aggressively. There are still people who deny to accept the Stile 1.6 Sport as theVFM car. It will not take too long for this to change.

Its time to buy a car which gives Performance with Quality at a good Price. The Fiat MJD wont rattle when your subwoofer takes the breath or make you feel that you are sitting on a flat steel chair and driving.

My family is waiting to include one more Fiat to our stable! cheers:
Old 29th January 2008, 16:48   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
If Palio MJD is yet to be launched, how can Swift's engine score over it?
All the current engines in the Swift the Petrol and Diesel score over the engine in the Palio 1.1 and 1.6
Old 29th January 2008, 17:03   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is Palio better? In which way, Can you please elaborate. AFAIK, the Swift handles way better then the Palio, the Swift looks way better too, the A.S.S service of the Swift is way ahead, plus the Swift is a newer product = latesth & not to mention it sells 20 times more then Fiats Palio sells per month.
For me Palio looks much better than ugly bug looking Swift, Even Palio handles , Build quality of the interior is way better than Swift, Rear seat space and comfort is better than Swift, ergonimics of the interiors are better than Swift, It would be 20-30K less than Swift and Waiting period would not be more than 2 months like Swift...

Downside is, it is 6-8 years old design still beats Swift in my opinion, old interiors which are better built, *** which has improved post TATA

Any day I would pick Palio.... period.
Old 29th January 2008, 17:50   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the current engines in the Swift the Petrol and Diesel score over the engine in the Palio 1.1 and 1.6
Agree for Palio 1.1, but, are you saying Swift 1.3 petrol engine is better than Palio 1.6?

Last edited by finneyp : 29th January 2008 at 17:52.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed