106 bhp
975 kgs.
14 or 14.5 kgm torque
Thanks. I agree completely.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:26   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Great news! Palio MJD with ABS will attact lot of BHPians for sure!
Thats the issue, it only attracts bhpians and so the sales are very very less. It needs to attract the aam-junta as well for Fiat to turn its fortune in India.

Quote:
Hi all, just got a maill from FIAT India, they say that the Palio 1.3 MJD may come with ABS and alloy wheels
May come, that doesnot mean it will surely come, so we need to wait & watch till there is any official confirmation.

About Palio/Swift, i dont want to argue and like my dear friend s0uljah, ill sit along with him out cheers: If Palio is not to be compared with Swift, then with what? WagonR, Estilo, Nano, A4, 325i, 911 or something even better?
Old 30th January 2008, 14:43   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats the issue, it only attracts bhpians and so the sales are very very less. It needs to attract the aam-junta as well for Fiat to turn its fortune in India.
Nope, I feel even BHPians are not convinced about Palio and Fiat though they seem to know more about Cars, forget the aam-junta!
Old 30th January 2008, 14:47   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
No, there are a lot more things apart from 0-100 and the VTEC was faster outright, anyday. BTW, have you ever driven a VTEC for an extended period?

Combination of both, light weight & a good high-revving engine producing decent power.
I have driven the OHC VTEC a number of times, but dint get to drive it for a longer period. Its a gem. My say was that there are no cars which could really compete with the OHC VTEC, Palio GTX was the only car which had the specs to compete with the OHC VTEC.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:50   #320
BHPian

Probable Pricing?

Fiat 1.3MJD can be priced (ex-showroom Mumbai) as follows:

Take same features of 1.1 SLX (No Alloys) 4.0L . Add 70K for engine difference(Fiat does not have to pay Royalty). That is 4.7 L(With AC,PS,Rear wiper, Rear Defogger,Immobilizer). Add 30 K for ABS(and or ABAG). That is 5L. For Top End add Alloys+Music System (30K) That is 5.3L. So models could be:

(Base) SLX equivalent 4.7L
(Base+ABS) 5.0L
(Top End) 5.3L

Swift Range is 4.9L to 5.54L (ex-showroom Mumbai)

May be there could be a variant bellow (equivalent to SLE) at 4.5L
Guys What are your guesses?
Old 30th January 2008, 14:50   #321
Senior - BHPian

@anachronix its not always about the car and its performance, its rattles or its space. Its about complete package to 90% of US and around 70% around the world. NO DOUBT Palio is a capable car and may be better than swift in some cases but sales figures says it all.

Palio wins over swift in the following:
1. Space
2. Performance (1.6 engine)
3. Ride comfort

Swift Wins over palio:
1. Better brand image in INDIA
2. A.S.S.
3. Spares being cheaper
4. Less maintenance costs
5. FE
6. Safety (Zxi vs 1.6)

Ride comfort in swift is also good but due to space issues people have problem. Now there are very less cars in INDIA that are built for performance and have good brand image. Eg. VTEC, Skoda VRS

And as my dear friends BUSA said that if Palio is not to be compared to swift then with who should we compare palio with ? In India we compare cars on price, VFM and segment rather than performance.

And i agree with you anachronix that Diesel Dancing in Style (DDiS) in swift is FIAT engine but not to forget the engine was made by joint venture of GM and FIAT and Suzuki and GM have partnerships so FIAT had to sell rights for the engine. But credit goes to FIAT for a wonderful engine.

Now i will sit and enjoy drinks with Souljha and BUSA cheers:
Old 30th January 2008, 14:54   #322
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand the logic of comparing Swift Ddis and Palio MJD even before Palio MJD is launched? Shall we wait for a while please.

And there is no point discussing Palio 1.1, 1.6, Swift 1.3 petrol etc. on this thread.
Old 30th January 2008, 15:28   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Swift Wins over palio:
1. Better brand image in INDIA
2. A.S.S.
3. Spares being cheaper
5. FE
6. Safety (Zxi vs 1.6)
If this is all that Swift has to be talked about, why dont you buy an Estilo VXi with ABS/Airbag which has the same as you wanted. As you said you dont get the Space, Performance or Ride comfort from a Swift. Infact it would work a lot cheaper if its an Estilo!

Quote:
3. Spares being cheaper
Really? Whats the cost of the ORVM for a Swift. It costs the same as that of a Ford Ikon which is branded under "Expensive Spare Parts". Well you pay the same price as much as you pay for an Ikon... But do you get the same quality? Naah! I have seen a lot of Swifts running with the rear shell of the ORVM missing! Then why pay so much money for the ORVMs which are inferior in Quality?

Quote:
Now i will sit and enjoy drinks with Souljha and BUSA cheers:
So how was the drink ma Friend?

PS: Lets stop comparing the Palio MJD & Swift DDiS for now! I think this should happen only after the MJD is launched.
Old 30th January 2008, 16:53   #324
BHPian

Quote:
want to bring up here an incident which my friend who owns a Swift Petrol came across. He was on a drive to Salem via Vellore-Ambur-Krishnagiri. He hit a dog right near the signal below the bridge where the speed is usually in the 50KMPH mark. The dog exactly hit the front grill and it went underneath the car, infact it was alive, got up and started running normally. We thought it was a normal incident and dint care much and continued driving. In a few minutes drive we could feel the vehicle choking and we got down from the car to understand that the Radiator was badly damaged and required a replacement.
The service guy explained that the Front grill clamp had punctured the radiator hose and that was the reason for all the trouble.

I feel this is a critical thing which we came across! What are your thoughts?
[/quote]
i have a fiat petra 1.6 .the same thing happened to me while i was going from ludhiana to joshimath near rudra prayag. nothing happened to the dog but we were stranded in the hills with no mechanics nearby.had to get the car towed. but and this is a big but the radiator was not replaced and has not been even after driving 10000km after the incident. m-seal was used and it sealed the leak
Old 30th January 2008, 17:05   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel Dancing in Style (DDiS) in swift is FIAT engine

Now i will sit and enjoy drinks with Souljha and BUSA
Diesel Dancing in Style, hmmm sounds familiar, now where are you treating us to drinks
Old 30th January 2008, 17:22   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Palio GTX was the only car which had the specs to compete with the OHC VTEC
I totally disagree with you. On paper the Verna Petrol can give the OHC Vtec a stiff competition, but does it? No. So on paper and on road is different. Forget the OHC, the Palio cannot match the NHC Vtec in terms of performance, the NHC Vtec is around a second faster to 100 and much more fuel efficient as well.

And why is it that quite a few Fiat owners love Fiat blindly, i am not nit-picking on anyone in particular, but i have seen people say strange things.

GM neednot build the Hummer, Fiat build the Palio : Does this mean that GM need not make Hummer to guzzle all the fuel, Fiat has already made a gas guzzler like the Palio.

No offense meant to anyone but just couldnot resist. Why are some Fiat owners not ready to accept the fact that, better, faster and more practical vehicles exist which compete with the Palio, saying things like Swift cannot be compared to the Palio is absolutely lame.

Last edited by GTO : 31st January 2008 at 10:15. Reason: Removing the reference to another members signature.
Old 30th January 2008, 18:42   #327
BHPian

well lets not be an aussie and make mountain of a mole hill. the basic thing is that european cars dont give as much FE as the japanese. but they give good driving pleasue (especially the italian and the germans).
fiat 1.6 has very good pickup and top speed i have clocked 177 on nh1 and it sticks to the road.
Old 30th January 2008, 18:54   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
No offense meant to anyone but just couldnot resist.
OK now calm down take a chill pill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Diesel Dancing in Style, hmmm sounds familiar, now where are you treating us to drinks
When u will come to CHD but both of you dont forget yer DDiS because after both of u pass out drinking i will have some fun.
Old 30th January 2008, 18:55   #329
BHPian

Busa,

I am open to the fact that there are better and faster vehicles available in the market. i was just trying the understand why City has better performance than Palio. I also agree that sometimes figures are not all you should look in vehicle. Just wanted to know the reason (looking for some facts and not just statements).

Last edited by windsurfer : 30th January 2008 at 18:56.
Old 30th January 2008, 19:24   #330
BHPian

Folks, I guess there are no more updates available on 1.3 Multijet that's why the thread is moving off topic.

Instead could we please provide more info on the actual topic or wait till any further updates?

PEACE
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks