Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:03   #526
Senior - BHPian

well, iirc - ravi kant was quoted saying that the MJD is not going to eat into the indica sales, but more so it will allow for an offering across the spectrum - so where the indica DLX ends, the MJD begins, and where that ends, the Indigo begins and so on.

Also, I remember reading that the MJDs are being sourced under agreement from Maruti's plant. So fiat makes it, maruti licenses it and then sells it back to fiat! Wow!
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:20   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Same goes with brakes, they are too sensitive. If one doesn't have control over the car, I bet he/she is going to get back to the showroom for denting work within 1km of driving it.
Body, bit better than Indica and Swift.

Engine, yes there is no life till 2000 rpm after that it goes. So city driving under heavy traffic actually becomes a pain.
What tyres was the car riding on? That would be the first pointer as it is the common grouse with many a stock offering.

I guess the gearing has been made longer. In that case,it would make its presence felt on the highway.
Old 4th March 2008, 01:50   #528
BHPian

One quick question. Have the Bookings started for FIAT 1.3 MJD? And are the dealers promising delivery this month or anytime after launch with Test Drive as well.
Anyone got clues?
Old 4th March 2008, 02:00   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
well, iirc - ravi kant was quoted saying that the MJD is not going to eat into the indica sales, but more so it will allow for an offering across the spectrum - so where the indica DLX ends, the MJD begins, and where that ends, the Indigo begins and so on.
So Indica DLX ends at around [COLOR=Red]4,77,773/-[/COLOR] exshowroom Delhi with ABS and Airbags. and NON ABS/Airbacg comes to [COLOR=Red]4,04,794/- exShowroom Delhi. [/COLOR]So we presume that Palio 1.3 MJD NON ABS/Airbag will be priced at 4.35lack exShowroom Delhi.
Old 4th March 2008, 08:20   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Palio is > Indica but < Swift.
If that is the case, I(and most other people) would not mind spending that extra 40-50k for the swift considering it also comes with way better A$$ than Fiat.
But yeah, if the price of the Palio MLD is about 1 Lac lower than Swift (which looks very improbable).. it can sure be a scorcher.
Old 4th March 2008, 08:32   #531
BHPian

MJD would not be cheap

I am quite thrilled to see the analysis done on this subject.

My $0.02 - MJD would probably not be priced much lower than the Swift D BECAUSE Fiat is planning to build and sell abt 500 cars each month. If priced close to the Indica, MJD would definitely take away some of its potential buyers, and FIAT does not want to have a UNO ( remember the number of b ookings they got for the UNO in the first 3 days when it was launched).

What say ?
Old 4th March 2008, 10:08   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Same goes with brakes, they are too sensitive. If one doesn't have control over the car, I bet he/she is going to get back to the showroom for denting work within 1km of driving it.
This is very much true even in case of FIAT Palio 1.6 Sports too. I was not used to such sensitive breaking, even if a feather touch of break will force the vehicle to stand still. Now I'm familiar with its breaks.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:50   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I guess the gearing has been made longer. In that case,it would make its presence felt on the highway.
Overdrive Feb 2008 issue had mentioned that Palio MJD will be using the same gearbox as that of the erstwhile Palio Diesel 1.9. For all you know, the gear ratios might be pretty similar to the 1.9 Dsl. Maybe, the owners of 1.9 dsl can comment on the gearing.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:00   #534
BHPian

Where did you get to see the car ? Did you Test Drive the Palio MJD ?

Quote:
Yes, indeed the gearbox is very rubbery. Gear-shifting is what I actually hated with Fiat Palio Multijet. Same goes with brakes, they are too sensitive. If one doesn't have control over the car, I bet he/she is going to get back to the showroom for denting work within 1km of driving it.
Body, bit better than Indica and Swift. One should expect as it's build like a tank.
Engine, yes there is no life till 2000 rpm after that it goes. So city driving under heavy traffic actually becomes a pain.
And I was not impressed by the interiors. Cost cutting measures has made me say this statement.

Actually, Palio is > Indica but < Swift.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:05   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Overdrive Feb 2008 issue had mentioned that Palio MJD will be using the same gearbox as that of the erstwhile Palio Diesel 1.9. For all you know, the gear ratios might be pretty similar to the 1.9 Dsl. Maybe, the owners of 1.9 dsl can comment on the gearing.
I have used the Palio Diesel 1.9.

The gear box is good. The throw is not short or smooth, but precise.

The gear ratios are pretty short in lower gears, but once you reach 3rd it is a delight. Thats not an issue considering it is a diesel. The car is a delight on highways.

The torque is amazing. You would not mind missing the turbo. It was a gem with the great build qulaity.

I agree with the braking. It was sensitive. It is just a matter of getting used to in city driving. Good to have sensitive braking on highways. Goes well with the chasis and build quality.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 4th March 2008 at 11:08.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:34   #536
BHPian

Braking in Palio for first timers is scary. But once the person get habituated to it, it would be one the best at least.

-BSR
Old 4th March 2008, 13:12   #537
BHPian

It seems that the guy who has given the test drive report was ignorant about the fact that new Stile MJD uses the old 1.9 D gearbox. Otherwise he would not given such a comment.
The palio 1.9D gearbox is one of the slickest in the class....way better than its diesel rivals like getz, Indica/Indigo, Ikon etc.
Anytime FIAT gearboxes will be better than TATAs, and Maruti Suzukis

Yes the brakes bite a bit more on palio. Brakes wont be a problem once if someone gets familiar.

OT: I believe the old FIAT war horse 118NE has got the slickest gearbox even though having a longer throw.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:03   #538
BHPian

Can someone who's taken a test drive throw some light on the type of clutch used in this car. Is it as hard as the one used in the Palio NV? or is it comparable to the Indica/ Indigo Light clutch. I found the Palio NV had a heavy Clutch inspite of being a Petrol Car, which is bad for City Use
Old 4th March 2008, 14:40   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
I found the Palio NV had a heavy Clutch inspite of being a Petrol Car, which is bad for City Use
How so? I find it tough driving the Swift/M800/Whatever because the clutch is so light. Personally prefer a heavier clutch as it gives me more control.

P.S. I am trying to point out that this is a personal preference. Just like the brakes taking some getting used to.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:41   #540
Senior - BHPian

The indica and the palio mjd should be priced cautiously.Or else they shouldnt mind as the money is going to same pockets.Indica might come up with the air bag abs option by the time the palio mjd is launched so that some buyers could be lured to the indica on safety lines.
ram
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks