Old 11th March 2008, 17:57   #676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
New grille with new FIAT logo looks more sporty
It looks much better than Stile Petrol.
Old 11th March 2008, 17:59   #677
BHPian

How is the palio's build quality compared to the swift ?
Old 11th March 2008, 18:05   #678
BHPian

All the Car Mags from this month uniformly say the Fiat has got tacky interiors and a ridiculous gearbox. Attaboy TATA .
Should send the TATA folks to Turin for a couple of months and we should be able to get the Punto and the Linea built like an Indica.

Pity, the engine is superb.
Old 11th March 2008, 18:07   #679
BHPian

Fiat Remeber SWIFT VDI has now reduced prices by upto 31K!. (18k offer + 13 excise reduction. Ref Mumbai TOI/Mirror). So VDI with ABS (without 18K offer) is 5.36L with 18k off it can go down upto 5.18L (ALL prices ex-showroom MUMBAI). So top-end of MJD should not be more than 4.95L ~ 5.0L. probably more downwards.
Old 11th March 2008, 18:09   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
All the Car Mags from this month uniformly say the Fiat has got tacky interiors and a ridiculous gearbox. Attaboy TATA .
Should send the TATA folks to Turin for a couple of months and we should be able to get the Punto and the Linea built like an Indica.

Pity, the engine is superb.
Comeon, dont compare Linea and punto with Indica.Those cars are very much different than Indica.If you ask me how i know then i have the answer that i already TD Linea.
Build quality of both cars are impressive.

Last edited by jerish666 : 11th March 2008 at 18:13.
Old 11th March 2008, 18:14   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
All the Car Mags from this month uniformly say the Fiat has got tacky interiors and a ridiculous gearbox.
May be, all the Car Mags would have done their test rides/road test on the same car.
BTW. I have driven the Palio D many times and I have never felt uncomfortable with its Gearbox.
SO how can things go wrong on placing the same gearbox coupled with an excellent MJD engine. I really doubt the genuineness of these magz and its contents.

Can you please share us the source, name of those magazines?

[NB: Please go through the rules given in the announcement section of this forum]

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th March 2008 at 18:22.
Old 11th March 2008, 18:19   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
May be, all the Car Mags would have done their test rides/road test on the same car.
BTW. I have driven the Palio D many times and I have never felt uncomfortable with its Gearbox.
SO how can things go wrong on placing the same gearbox coupled with an excellent MJD engine. I really doubt the genuineness of these magz and its contents.
As far as I know the Multijet has an all new gearbox... but I cant understand how FIAT made it worse compared to the older one, if what magz say is true.
Old 11th March 2008, 18:23   #683
BHPian

@shineshine it looks like there was only one car to test . My bro has a Palio and the stickshift and engine was superb and the interiors had the European feel, although it drank like a Finn. Trust TATA to create a level playing field by pulling down the quality of the FIAT interiors

@jerish666. I have been in Europe for the better part of the decade and driven a whole range of FIAT especially as they are popular rentals, excellent cars. The flavour of my topic was in jest, but i guess you did not catch onto that..
Old 11th March 2008, 18:24   #684
BHPian

Read the specs from the images posted. Top-end fetures same as Petrol SLX except no mention of engine immoblilizer!
Old 11th March 2008, 18:26   #685
BHPian

Thanks jyobeb for the info and brochure.

with finneyp on the below as that could be the possible reason for not coming with ABS/Airbags and even alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
And for ABS, Airbags, Alloys et al, since Fiat India had a mandate of pricing Palio 1.3 MJD below Swift D, they couldn't afford to provide the same.
But I expected that they could have launched with 14" wheel atleast on the top end variant. And how to maintain the pricing after providing this option, they could have got some tips from their partner TATA.
Old 11th March 2008, 18:37   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
As far as I know the Multijet has an all new gearbox... but I cant understand how FIAT made it worse compared to the older one, if what magz say is true.
All this confusion of Palio 1.9 gear box should be because of my post I believe. Overdrive Jan issue had a small test drive of Palio MJD and they had mentioned that the gear box is the same as that of 1.9 dsl.
Old 11th March 2008, 18:41   #687
BHPian

Quote:
But I expected that they could have launched with 14" wheel atleast on the top end variant. And how to maintain the pricing after providing this option, they could have got some tips from their partner TATA.
I think, FIAT might have reserved the 14" Wheels for a prospective "1.3 MJD SPORTS" variant later wards. It may have all the goodies like ABS+Airbags+Alloy Wheels+ Rear Spoiler+ "All extra bits and things found in SWIFT, UVA & GETZ"
Old 11th March 2008, 18:47   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
I think, FIAT might have reserved the 14" Wheels for a prospective "1.3 MJD SPORTS" variant later wards. It may have all the goodies like ABS+Airbags+Alloy Wheels+ Rear Spoiler+ "All extra bits and things found in SWIFT, UVA & GETZ"
Does that info carry any evidence or just speculation

Any Fiat insider, can you please get this info?
Old 11th March 2008, 18:47   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
All this confusion of Palio 1.9 gear box should be because of my post I believe. Overdrive Jan issue had a small test drive of Palio MJD and they had mentioned that the gear box is the same as that of 1.9 dsl.
No yaar, we have got other sources of info too.

Quote:
Production of the new Palio diesel, powered by the 1.3-litre Multijet common-rail power plant has commenced at the company’s new Ranjangaon factory. Fiat is targeting sales of 6,000 units annually for this car. The Multijet engine has been mate d to the gearbox from the original 1.9-litre diesel Palio, with the suspension and brakes being carried over from that car as well. We had a brief drive in this model, and the Palio’s inherent strengths such as the big-car feel and taut body control remain intact. The steering, though heavy, has great feel, and the gearbox shifts precisely, but requires a bit of effort. The diesel Palio resembles the current Stile petrol version except for a ‘1.3 Multijet’ badge on the rear hatch. Significantly, it sports the new Fiat logo with a maroon background, that has replaced the earlier blue Fiat logo globally. On the inside, the twin-tone beige and charcoal grey plastics remain.
Fiat will be counting on this car to boost sales of the Palio, which have been languishing at around 2,500 units annually. Naturally, pricing is key, and the Palio Stile diesel will be going up against the very competent Swift diesel, which is powered by the same 1.3-litre Multijet engine.
Source:
The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : New Palio diesel ready.

I have read the same info on some other blogs too. But couldn't remember those sites.
The TD reports and reviews sometimes are too contradictory
Old 11th March 2008, 18:52   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Does that info carry any evidence or just speculation

Any Fiat insider, can you please get this info?
Its my dream that came out as a speculation.
What i meant is a chance.
They came out with 1.6 with all these stuffs in an absolutely wrong time frame.
But when the world needs it they are booomed!!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks