Team-BHP - Retaining car, Changing the number
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Retaining car, Changing the number (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/32556-retaining-car-changing-number.html)

Mods, I couldnt locate a similiar thread like this so if found please indicate and close this.

I wanted to know what cost and what procedure to change my vehicle registration numbers. I am not moving out of city/state neither moving into. But I feel I want different numbers especially for my bike.

Please advise

AFAIK, there is no such provision under the MV Act. If they allowed this to happen you will find a jump in the number of forgery and theft cases. And the vehicles will never be traceable again.

I believe every registration has to be supported by the dealer's documents (new purchases) or else the NOC and other detailed document from the RTA of the other state from where the vehicle has come in (in case of transfer cases). Even for transfer cases you are needed under the law to provide residence proof in the new state.

However, I am sure if you try a little and are willing to spend some money it can still be done. Get your vehicle registered in a different state first and then get it re-transferred back to your state.

Remember, while getting it 'out' of the state you not only will need to apply for the mandatory NOC but also the refund of the state taxes paid. This is the only way they scrap your existing registration. If you fail to apply for the refund your current registration will remain in force and you will have to use your old number plate when you re-transfer it back here.

:OT I remember people retaining their old numbers while going for a new car, but that was during fiat/amby times and rules might be updated.

These days the RTO sometimes does not even issue a new number whilst shifting the vehicle from one state to the another. All that a person requires is to submit a NOC and pay any levies at the concerned RTO office.
Allowing a person to get a new number would create a huge amount of confusion. Till the whole system is not completely centrally computerized, which might never occur in our life times, this is virtually out of question.

Thanks Zappo!

however, as per my knowledge every vehicle needs to be re-registered after years. like 15 yrs. and can we then apply for a different one.

Iam not really sure. but there must me a nice solid reason to change the number other than interstate movement.

its not re-registered after 15 years,its a fitness test for the vehicle to find whether the vehicle is road worthy or not.you wont be given new numbers after the test-instead it will be marked -fit to be on road .but thats after 15 years,dont worry.thats why vehicles above 10 yrs depreciate fast in the used car market and by any chance if it falls in the rim of 15yrs then there wont be any buyers for it as the hassles are a burden.

Quote:

Originally Posted by four_tire (Post 656658)
Thanks Zappo!

however, as per my knowledge every vehicle needs to be re-registered after years. like 15 yrs. and can we then apply for a different one.

Iam not really sure. but there must me a nice solid reason to change the number other than interstate movement.

AFAIK Vehicles more than 15 yrs old DO NOT need to re-register. They just need to be re-validated, as in fitness test at the local RTO

cheers

There's a way of doing it.
You should get the vehicle registered out of your state in somebody else's name. Then after 6months or so, get it reregistered in your state. You'll get a new number of your choice.
But this is going to cost some serious bucks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak (Post 657143)
There's a way of doing it.
You should get the vehicle registered out of your state in somebody else's name. Then after 6months or so, get it reregistered in your state. You'll get a new number of your choice.
But this is going to cost some serious bucks!

But why would he need to register it in somebody else's name ? This would pave way for further depreciation as when he registers it back in his name he would logically be the third owner of the car (assuming he has bought it first hand). Whats the hassle in registering it in his own name in a different state ?

Ok. He can register in his name. He needs to have an address proof in the state he is registering the car.

In the U.S. most drivers have a valid driver's license and their vehicles are registered. When a vehicle is stopped by the police for any reason the officer calls in the license and registration by radio to his dispatcher who searches a central computer. Within a few seconds the officer knows whether the license and registration are valid, whether the vehicle has been reported as stolen, whether there are outstanding traffic fines owed against the vehicle and whether the license holder has an arrest record or has outstanding criminal charges against him.
If the license and/or registration is not valid the operator must park his car right where he is stopped until he clears up the matter. It is rather efficient and strict. Because of computerization there is no problem changing numbers, in fact the different States make a profit from selling custom numbers that the operator chosses themselves.

In India I imagine there are ways to expedite changing a number, wink, wink, nod, nod....do you know what I mean? But is it really worth it? And I would like to go on record as saying that neither I nor this site condone doing anything that is illegal.

Also note that in the US one is allowed to keep his licence plate when he sells of his car and reuse the same plate for the next car that he buys. That way, even if one has a personalized plate he can use it for a lifetime for all his cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak (Post 657176)
He needs to have an address proof in the state he is registering the car.

Am sure that is cakewalk in our country and can certainly be arranged.:D

Okay guys agreed, I couldnot find any RTO person in the weekend to find out more about the options.

However, I was exploring another option of mutual transfer/exchange. There should have been a provision of exchange numbers from another owner's vehicle or exchange numbers from vehicles I owned myself. Even this i think is not possible. RTO only speaks with respect to a vehicle and not any owner or context.

Once i heard in a news where same number was found on a govt vehicle was found on private vehicle