Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2004, 16:40   #1

Motor Training school

wud like to hear from fellow T-BHP-ites, how "effective" these so called "motor training schools" really are...

in my personal opinion they are totally "useless"... ...

none of the people i know who "trained" @ such "schools" had the road confidence despite obtaining the RTO license...

secondly, the trainee vehicles invariably end up on heavily congested roads during peak hours... adding to the chaos...

can we "force" RTO to have some kind legislation be in place to restrict these trainee cars to say some test tracks/ designated areas xclusively for these training schools, to arrest the menace of disrupting traffic during peak hours...

thanks,
Old 30th December 2004, 17:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

some motor training schools, have cars in the worst of conditions...
Old 30th December 2004, 17:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

They are useless, yet another money making business without ethics. I learnt on a disintegrating Maruti 1000. with no LHS rear view mirror. The instructor would constantly keep controlling the pedals, and would always egg me on to overtake from the left. The RTO test was an absolute waste of time, I was made to drive in a circle, while the observing RTO chap was dozing off in a room with no windows. It's such a shame.
Old 30th December 2004, 17:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

though i got my license from a small town rto, i have heard that the bangalore rto does put u through a proper test before giving a license. A cousin of mine was asked to stop the car while going down an incline and then reverse the car up the incline without letting the car go down. I mean, my cousin's driving ability was *actually* tested !!!
Dunno whether it was a one off case or whether they do it quite regularly.

Amitoj
Old 30th December 2004, 17:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I mean, my cousin's driving ability was *actually* tested !!!
One of my friends here in bangalore failed two tests and finally got the hint and paid the driving school guy to make him pass. The guy testing actually helped him pass in the third attempt. There's no such thing as a good RTO system anywhere in India.... you can always pay your way thru.
Old 30th December 2004, 18:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

most times, if you go thru a motor training school, you'll 100% pass the test OR there might be no test at all. You will get the license.
Old 30th December 2004, 18:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
though i got my license from a small town rto, i have heard that the bangalore rto does put u through a proper test before giving a license. A cousin of mine was asked to stop the car while going down an incline and then reverse the car up the incline without letting the car go down. I mean, my cousin's driving ability was *actually* tested !!!
Dunno whether it was a one off case or whether they do it quite regularly.

Amitoj
Well, when i took the driving test no such things at all! i was asked to go around in a ground, stop, take a reverse and thats it test over!! I learnt most of my driving on the road after i got my D/L. Even the driving school was a waste, the cars were in absolutely disastrous condition( the 800 in which i learnt in starts wobbling at around 40 kmph!)
Ask me its no point.... Even my two wheeler test was the same i was asked to go around in a circle and the RTO guy wasn't even looking at my riding!!
So Amitoj, either your cousins is a one off case or mine is!!

From what i hear from aadix, hyd has a proper D/L test.
Old 30th December 2004, 18:48   #8
BHPian

i learned driving from my dad without having to go to an drving school way back in 1996. then when time came to get a license i luckily had a friend of my mom who was working im ghatkopar RTO who helped my get my learner's as well as the pakka license. the big burly RTO officer sat next to me and asked me to drive around for five mins then took me to his offcie cabin and asked me to come & collect my licence in some days.

that's the way i got my license.

Shubbhi
Old 30th December 2004, 19:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

well ....
ive never learnt how to drive from an school ...
hell im underage but i can still drive better then my brother who learnt from a drive\ing school ...
BTW..
i learnt how to drive in 5 hours ...
i mean properly ....
and i bet i can drive better then some TBHPians ....
Old 30th December 2004, 19:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

I learnt to drive well before I reached the legal age of 18. However, my parents insisted that I go through a proper training course before I got my licence. So, I enrolled at the nearest training school and got my temporary licence without any hassles. My permanent licence test, was taken a few days before the stipulated period of holding a temporary licence was completed i.e. 1 month. You guys won't believe how this test was conducted. I was asked to go inside the Inspectors' Hall and face the concerned inspector. He asked me what my age was. "18", I replied. That's it. My test was over. I went home and got my licence the next day.
All I can say is that whatever I've learnt has been self taught. The Motor Training School just made getting the licence easy.
Old 30th December 2004, 19:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

i also learnt to drive at the age of 13 but unfortunately we did not have a car at that time.and the only time i used to drive was during th summer vacations in mangalore for full 2 months from april to june.but after that when there was no car to drive in mumbai,i ysed to lose the touch .
so it was definitely tha driving school that helped me to gain some road sense and some confidence before buying a car.i did not go th the school to learn driving but it definitely helped me a lot.
Old 30th December 2004, 21:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well,i learnt driving at the age of 12.The first car i drove was a Toyota Royal Saloon in Japan.
It was a good experience but i still enrolled in Good Luck driving school wen i was 17.It was such a disaster.I got my license too sitting at home.Paid 100rs for it.This is wen i gotta know bout the corrupt paandus.
But it never taught me to drive perfectly.It was wen i brought my first car,a M800 that i learnt to drive.And that too after listening to innumerable gaalis from every1 around.And i was lucky i never banged my car during my driving days.
I never recommemend my juniors to join a driving school,as they are just a waste of money and also have the most pathetic condition cars one can ever come across.

X

Last edited by X-Machine : 30th December 2004 at 21:35.
Old 31st December 2004, 11:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

Hey Sbvartak,

There is actually one place you can go to learn about driving and get your liscence the right way - WIAA

When i got my learners it was from the RTO, and i was disgusted at the way it worked. So for my pukka liscence i wanted to do it the right way so i decided to take my test at the WIAA. (I cant really comment personally on their teaching since my dad taught me and i only took the test with them.)

Let me tell you about the test -
The guy who took my test (mr Kurve i think) was strict, but i was very impressed because it was so unlike the RTO.
They go down to the finest detail. They will not let you take the test if you do not have "L" plates on the front and back of your car!
The instructor has a test sheet on which he grades you on different aspects of your driving, and then gives you a final pass/fail test at the end.
The test lasts for a good 20minutes and inclused parking and a hill start from what i remember.
Before the actual driving test you are required to take an oral test of road signs and hand signals.
Then if you pass the test they get your pukka liscence for you from the RTO, and at the time they charged me Rs40/- for the liscence, beat that!

They also have a basic car course, where they teach people about the basics of car workings (a must for being a good driver).
And also a hazardous materials course for truck drivers etc etc.

You need to be a member to use their services, and i strongly suggest it! (i believe they have a temporary membership.

Anyway, check out their website - http://www.wiaaindia.com

cya
R
Old 31st December 2004, 12:05   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sweet Rehaan, its good to hear about teh WIAAs efforts!

Getting back to the topic, one thing you have to credit the driving school instructors is for their PATIENCE. When I was teaching my siblings how to drive....it was a nightmare! Every morning I would resolve to not lose my cool, but believe me...I would come back home with my eyes red. I wanted to tear my hair apart.

And then I see an instructor of the expert motor training school correcting a lady driver making her nth mistake with a calm "No problem, this is the right way to do it."

GTO
Old 1st January 2005, 01:47   #15
BANNED

SuM RTOs juss take monee to pass u even if u cant locate the brake pedal..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks