Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2008, 15:19   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Is this the source of design for the Nano?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ubishi_i_1.jpg
Please look carefully, except for the similarity in the basic shape there is nothing similer. you may call it the Inspiration may be.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:23   #542
Senior - BHPian

Some random shots (all shot from about 100+ ft away, through the crowd around these cars)

Old 14th January 2008, 15:26   #543
Senior - BHPian

Nah, too optimistic. There are many Keis and other small cars all over the place which can be considered "similar", yet the truth is that for the final package we saw at the price (even considering a 1.3L tag), only a lets-think-afresh approach would've worked. The car is question weighs abt 900ks (Mitsubishi i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - obviously dissimilar on the build/engineering/materials fronts.

This is a mere distraction. Tho the Mitsu lookd v cute.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:39   #544
Senior - BHPian

I am not saying that its a copy but yes the Nano does draw some inspiration from this & may be other similar cars.

I am really proud of what Tata has done with Nano & no way am I ridiculing their efforts.
Old 14th January 2008, 19:28   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
I also think you are making a lot of statements about intergrity & ethics of TATA in the process............. statements are going to be challenged
My original post (if you read it properly) was commending the car and the effort behind it. But then you had to latch onto a minor comment in it, ignoring the essence of the post, which was complimentary. Anyway, that's all I have to say on this topic. You can continue with your mission of challenging anyone who has anything adverse to say about Tata, for all I care.

And, just for the record, I don't remember being cynical about their ability to make the car.
Old 15th January 2008, 04:05   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
I am crossing my fingers and hoping this car handles well (maybe as well as the dolphin?? not a bad thing to dream, huh)
Not a bad thing to dream at all, pal...and quite possible, considering the weight distribution, Mcphersons up front & indpendent setup at the rear...unless Tata deliberately increases rack ratio to decrease steering accuracy at speeds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
HUH? Where are the powertrain pics? Did I miss them? Was hoping to see something on that front
Ah. Forgot...the tranny pics were elsewhere (or was that on the telly?). Couldn't see the engine, though; the tranny is really tight, with an (presumably) open differential & exposed half-shafts; but nothing like I've seen before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis
Listen to this gem from the M800 makers - “We have arrived at a decision that with the current regulations on safety and emission, we are not capable of manufacturing a car which would cost as low as Rs 1 lakh .
Don't mean to spoil MS's rep, but...the 800 costs less than 90 grand off the assembly line; taxes & margins eat up the rest. If they wish so, they can sell it for 1.2-1.4L as well...

Last edited by veyron1 : 15th January 2008 at 04:06.
Old 15th January 2008, 12:13   #547
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
10-4, man, 10-4. I hear ya on that one. I am crossing my fingers and hoping this car handles well (maybe as well as the dolphin?? not a bad thing to dream, huh)

HUH? Where are the powertrain pics? Did I miss them? Was hoping to see something on that front.

MPower this is a 600 something odd- cc engine. Logically, if its like you said, they probably de-stroked the engine to retain the same combustion chamber shape, valve gear and pistons to save money (except the cams, they need to make new ones anyway).
Well this can't be a chpped Indica engine as it is an all aluminum engine and also meets Euro 4. I don't think that the Indica engine can claim either of these
Old 15th January 2008, 14:34   #548
Senior - BHPian

Nano selected by TIME Mag's The Dozen Most Important Cars of All Time.

Economical to Revolutionary — On Wheels! - The Dozen Most Important Cars of All Time - TIME

Old 15th January 2008, 17:50   #549
BHPian

Nano Boot Pic !

Think this is the first on T-BHP: The Nano Bonnet (read boot) ! Who said it dosnt have spare wheel..

Old 15th January 2008, 19:29   #550
Senior - BHPian

That boot pic reminds me of the Versa. But, looking at the crumples on the firewall, I see no reason why it shouldn't be as safe as any other car within the 3 lac bracket.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:02   #551
BHPian

Any idea what's on the left side of the boot(bonnet), some wires seem to be sticking out. They should have been covered. This photo doesn't show the floor of the bonnet, so from this picture it does seem difficult load things. This just looks a little unconventional to the boot that we are used to in normal cars...
Old 15th January 2008, 22:23   #552
Suryam

More info about Nano making:

SupplierBusiness.com: Tata Nano is a unique case study of OEM-supplier partnership - News - Auto Industry

Some important points of process(from the article) are:
Quote:
While Tata started work with 600 suppliers and a total of 1,800 supplier-part combinations, these were eventually narrowed down to 100 suppliers for the platform.

Hydro-forming is used for all the Nano’s tubular structures, resulting in weight reductions and simple production processes and stamping has been replaced by roll-forming process. Roll forming allows a common tooling for a number of parts, fewer operations and better productivity. Tata not only worked on its own processes but also helped its vendors innovate.

Cost saving was also achieved by using thinner materials wherever the design allowed, so the bumpers are only 2.5mm thick, against 3mm on the Tata Indica supermini.

Half of the 100 vendors for the project are co-locating with Tata in a 350-acre vendor park in SIngur next to the new Tata plant. Instead of annual contracts, Tata went with long term volume contracts with its suppliers, driving down the costs even further. The suppliers received significant volume commitments from Tata Motors, with about 75% of the components being single-source and about 90% of the total car being outsourced.

Old 16th January 2008, 08:50   #553
BHPian

Nice.Should serve the purpose.hopefully safer than Autorikshaws and pollute less than bikes.
There is a lot of buzz about this car here in the US -positive and negative.The unveiling was well reported. Most recent-on NPR(national public radio) tonight.They interviewed some environmentalist lady from Delhi.She was all for public transport and against cars proliferating and polluting.She was then asked about her mode of transportation-No bus for her ofcourse! she drives a car! I didnt bother to listen to the rest of her arguments.
Old 16th January 2008, 11:08   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimster View Post
Nice.Should serve the purpose.hopefully safer than Autorikshaws and pollute less than bikes.
There is a lot of buzz about this car here in the US -positive and negative.The unveiling was well reported. Most recent-on NPR(national public radio) tonight.They interviewed some environmentalist lady from Delhi.She was all for public transport and against cars proliferating and polluting.She was then asked about her mode of transportation-No bus for her ofcourse! she drives a car! I didnt bother to listen to the rest of her arguments.
I don't know what cars these environmentalists drive, but I wonder why they don't complain about cars cheaper than 20 lakh. Banning all cars cheaper than 20 lakh will completely clean up the road. But then government will stop making roads if cars are not there. Thus even if we ban cars cheaper than 20 lakh, there will still be traffic jam. India never makes infrastructure until there is a crisis and urgency. So, let there be a crisis with the Nano. Then India will think of doing something about it, either restrictions or developing infrastructure.
Old 16th January 2008, 12:00   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I don't know what cars these environmentalists drive, but I wonder why they don't complain about cars cheaper than 20 lakh. Banning all cars cheaper than 20 lakh will completely clean up the road. But then government will stop making roads if cars are not there. Thus even if we ban cars cheaper than 20 lakh, there will still be traffic jam. India never makes infrastructure until there is a crisis and urgency. So, let there be a crisis with the Nano. Then India will think of doing something about it, either restrictions or developing infrastructure.
They should ban the vehicles which are mroe than 15 years old including buses and lorries. This they are not able to implement then how can we expect govt. to ban 20L vehicle. When Nano arrives, there will definately be chaos in streets and Govt. will be forced to think of something. Already in Aaj Tak channel, they are reporting of govt. thinking of some things to tackle the traffic when this vehicle is launched. Hope they do it fast and implement before it becomes a major bottleneck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks