Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 15:06   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Well this can't be a chpped Indica engine as it is an all aluminum engine and also meets Euro 4. I don't think that the Indica engine can claim either of these
Indicas exported to Europe are Euro-IV compliant, Euro-IV being the obligatory standard there since 1 January 2005.
Old 16th January 2008, 15:51   #557
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangu View Post
Any idea what's on the left side of the boot(bonnet), some wires seem to be sticking out. They should have been covered.
Wiper wash fluid reservoir? Brake fluid reservoir? Battery cables?
Old 16th January 2008, 20:17   #558
Senior - BHPian

As the above posts mentioned, banning vehicles that do not meet the emission control and do not carry the latest engine condition test etc should bring a lot of difference and relief to the daily travellers and drivers. I am sure atleast 30% of the vehicles on road today do not qualify to be on the roads (either too old, or not having a record of proper maintenance ).

Nano is even qualified for Euro IV norms as commented by Tata himself on the unveiling day ! Practially speaking, does it make any difference on indian roads with the Euro II, III and later IV criteria when more than 50% of the engines on road do not pass even the basic qualifying rounds ?? Are we talking about a rule-abiding country by 2020 ?

Someone said, we have to bann all the old trucks and carriers to keep our eco system clean and the traffic orderly !! Dont you think our daily 'daal-chawal' is still carried to our door step by these oldies ?

A truck strike over 3 days can put many indian states to worse-than-psunami situations ! Infact solving one situation we head to another crisis. Our country needs some young educated brains to do our strategy planning, leading the citizens to a better future ! Corrupted politicians coupled with corrupted judicial system lead us to nowhere.

Tata brought out a revolutionary change in the automobile industry through Nano. Can we hope to get someone to think, plan and execute some root-shaking, civilised, smart sytem to our country ?
Old 18th January 2008, 00:53   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
All these things he has achieved within 10 years of the first launch of Indica. Where are those GMs, Fords, Toyotas etc where in they are manufacturing the cars from almost a century and they still could not think about this. hahaha....
Ford did it 100 years ago. Everyone else copied his idea. It's your turn now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
...Kudos to Indian Manufacturers and kudos to Tata's we have proved to the world what we can do if we have determination
Congrats!
Old 18th January 2008, 12:06   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep View Post
Ford did it 100 years ago. Everyone else copied his idea. It's your turn now.

Good One!
Old 18th January 2008, 12:48   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Some random shots (all shot from about 100+ ft away, through the crowd around these cars)

I wonder how many of you have noticed this but Nano uses different tyres at the front and rear although the rim size is the same. I got this impression after watching this pic and during my last visit to the Expo confirmed this. The front tyre is 135/70/12 while the rear is 155/65/12. All models of the car feature these sizes. Isn't that interesting? Maruti 800 employs 145/70/12 on all four. When I questioned the Tata guy about this he claimed this was done for proper weight distribution. When I asked him what was the spare wheel tyre size, he said it was the same as that of rear tyres. My next question was "Would this not affect stability when the stepney is used in the event of front tyre puncture?" and he reluctantly admitted that it would but said that it was not such an important thing.

What do you guys say?

Last edited by directinjection : 18th January 2008 at 12:51.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:35   #562
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got this impression after watching this pic and during my last visit to the Expo confirmed this. The front tyre is 135/70/12 while the rear is 155/65/12.
Spot on, Mr. Eagle Eye! I don't buy that Tata chaps reasoning, but believe that the rear end would need more grip due to the rear engine / RWD layout.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:43   #563
Team-BHP Support

Wow this is risky business. If you puncture the front tire...!
I wonder what will be the effects of putting in the wider tire for both front and rear? Is it that penny saving thing to keep the costs below 1L?
Old 18th January 2008, 14:55   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I wonder what will be the effects of putting in the wider tire for both front and rear? Is it that penny saving thing to keep the costs below 1L?
I don't think this move would be to keep cost low.
With the volume TATA is eyeing with 4 all tyres of same type they can easily put pressure on supplier to give them huge discounts.

It may be because to keep its fuel efficiency high.
Old 18th January 2008, 21:34   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

I heard tell (Rumour Alert!) that the car will be distributed in an unfinished state, to be completed by the distributors.

True or nonsense. anybody ?

The idea of passing costs down line, or even ultimately, on to the customer, is well established with flat-pack furniture --- but lives don't very often depend on wardrobes!
Old 18th January 2008, 21:43   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Use the wider rear tyre. Most of the expensive cars today come with space-saver stepneys which are MUCH MUCH skinnier than the original tyre.

If people can drive a 50-lakh Beemer to the next tyre repair point on things like THESE

why complain about Tata who are providing a WIDER wheel as stepney on a car that can do much slower speeds?
Old 19th January 2008, 01:07   #567
BHPian

Stepney Size on Nano

True..True. Stepneys are supposed to be used only during emergency! Not continuously or regularly, or families could be in danger
Old 19th January 2008, 05:11   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Well this can't be a chpped Indica engine as it is an all aluminum engine and also meets Euro 4. I don't think that the Indica engine can claim either of these
Never said its a chopped Indica engine. I said they might have reused the rotating assembly to save the cost of developing and manufacturing brand new parts. They'd have to make a new block anyway so they probably made it aluminum to save weight.

And someone said the wheels are 12". They look more like 8 or 10" from where I'm standing.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 19th January 2008 at 05:12.
Old 19th January 2008, 05:59   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
I wonder how many of you have noticed this but Nano uses different tyres at the front and rear although the rim size is the same. I got this impression after watching this pic and during my last visit to the Expo confirmed this. The front tyre is 135/70/12 while the rear is 155/65/12. All models of the car feature these sizes. Isn't that interesting? Maruti 800 employs 145/70/12 on all four. When I questioned the Tata guy about this he claimed this was done for proper weight distribution. When I asked him what was the spare wheel tyre size, he said it was the same as that of rear tyres. My next question was "Would this not affect stability when the stepney is used in the event of front tyre puncture?" and he reluctantly admitted that it would but said that it was not such an important thing.

What do you guys say?
In UK i had seen may cars with a spare wheel of different dimension. You are not going to use it every time, only when you got a flat tyre, and all you need is a spare tyre, which can take you to nearest place where you can fixn it
Old 19th January 2008, 09:32   #570
Senior - BHPian

With a spare tire, you cannot expect full performance. Most donut spares have a speed limit of 50 mph.

BTW, my car has wider rear tires and the spare is the narrower front ka size. No problem as long as you dont do any top speed runs. Its meant to get you to the tirewalla.

Another thing I notice is the massive ground clearance, probably keeping in mind rural customer base....and the Porsche Boxter style center exhaust tip.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th January 2008 at 20:31.

Most Viewed