Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 08:30   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Where ?
Everybody forgot the team-bhp exclusive spy-pics?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ty-impact.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmami View Post
It is going to be called TATA RTV.
Can anyone guess what RTV stands for ?
Rural Transport Vehicle?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th January 2008 at 08:32.
Old 7th January 2008, 09:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

RTV - Ratan Tata's Venture ???
Old 7th January 2008, 09:38   #78
BHPian

TATA ONE would have been a good name. What's with RTV?
Old 7th January 2008, 11:43   #79
BHPian

The Guardian quotes Murad Ali Baig as saying that the car looks very pretty, even though its minimalistic in design. Hope it satisfies the hype!
Old 7th January 2008, 14:50   #80
BSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carCrazy25 View Post
If the TATA's 1 Lakh car was good, i would buy it in a heart beat, for some reason, i consider it a pride to have that Car

And it would work out fine for me, it would be gearless (as per reports), and my dad could drive it himself for weekend shopping or pick up my niece from school.
I too Agree with you, I would be the first to book 2 cars one for my Wife and my Sister.

It is any day better for women to travel in a Car than a 2 wheeler.

Seeing the resent trend, all car manufacturers are targeting women buyers. They would definitely be a very prospective buyers for the 1 Lakh Car.

Old 7th January 2008, 19:05   #81
Senior - BHPian

RTV - Recently Turbocharged Vehicle

In anyother thread, i read someone wrote its a front engine, but i thought it is rear engine layout.
Old 7th January 2008, 19:32   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
RTV - Recently Turbocharged Vehicle

In anyother thread, i read someone wrote its a front engine, but i thought it is rear engine layout.
Busa!

You love Turbochargers and performance boost don't you. I wouldn't be surprised if I find a "RTV" owner who's got the car PETEfied. We all would know who suggested it
Old 7th January 2008, 21:29   #83
Senior - BHPian

i heard that there are 5 to 6 different types of 1 lakh car. i mean cars with some changes in designs. Ratan tata selected 1 car few days ago. and that car is gonna unvile on 10th.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:00   #84
BHPian

Can anybody tell me how is this picture taken? Is it bouncing off a hump? Looks like the front wheels are in the air....
Old 7th January 2008, 23:29   #85
BHPian

3 days and counting...

This is definately the biggest build up for any car being launched in India. We really must commend TATA on keeping the drapes on the specifics of this car for such a long time. Nobody has been able to come out with a confirmed news about

1. The shape of the car
2. Its name
3. Engine options
4. Mileage
5. Safety features
Old 8th January 2008, 01:04   #86
BHPian

RTV - Ratan Tata Vision

I just came up with that acronym for fun. Most of you guys are pretty close to what I came up with.

Ratan Tata Vision car abbreviated to RTV. :-).

Initially I was skeptical of this car but now that all the western news papers are also talking good about India and its determination and success etc , it is really making me proud of Indian born again. I know India has a long way to go but we are striving for it and that is what counts.

Here are some of the excerpts from Newsweek magazine in US.

1. Newsweek: At $2500, world's cheapest cars revs up

2. Back in 2003, when chairman Ratan Tata revealed his plans to build a car that would cost less than 100,000 rupees (about $2,500 in today's dollars), rival car makers said it couldn't be done. As time passed, and Tata kept at it, they hedged.

3. The vehicle could have almost as large an impact in India as the original Volkswagen had in Germany back in 1938—perhaps doubling the size of India's passenger-car market overnight.

4. Maybe it will be more like an enclosed motorcycle, they said. As tantalizing details about the car's design leaked, they started to get worried. Finally, in April, Renault-Nissan's Carlos Ghosn announced his own plans to build a $3,000 car in partnership with Indian motorcycle maker Bajaj Auto.

5. The stakes are incredibly high, which is why the international auto industry is descending in unprecedented numbers on the New Delhi Auto Expo, where Tata will reveal the design for its People's Car for the first time on Jan. 10.

The entire article can be found at : The World’s Cheapest Wheels | Newsweek International Edition | Newsweek.com

I recommend reading this as it definitely made me proud being Indian.

Old 8th January 2008, 08:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata's focus on reducing the weight curbed material costs and also permitted a cheaper engine. People familiar with the car describe a $700 rear-mounted engine built by the German company Bosch, measuring 600 to 660 cubic centimeters, with a horsepower in the range of 30 to 35 - no more powerful than some commercial lawn mowers.
Quote:
Tata chose wheel bearings that are strong enough to drive the car up to 70 kilometers, or 45 miles, an hour, but will suffer wear and tear above that speed, reducing the car's life span but never threatening consumer safety
this seems to be quite un-nerving. The news article on IHT (India offers cheapest car on earth - International Herald Tribune) talks about how TATA tried to cut costs. some steps include - having a hollow steering column, a lower / stiffer suspension to eliminate the need for headlight levelers, ball bearings, reduced weight, a boot large enough to fit one suitcase, no AC, PS, PW or ICE, a mechanical speedo meter etc.

Also, The Tata car, according to industry experts, runs on the somewhat forgotten technology of continuous variable transmission (like on a Kinetic Honda) , a lighter alternative to the manual or automatic kinds. Conceived by Leonardo da Vinci in the late 15th century, it is an elegant, stepless transmission reliant on pulleys.

Well, either these are speculations or a report based on interviews.

Last edited by madan80 : 8th January 2008 at 09:01.
Old 8th January 2008, 09:27   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
i heard that there are 5 to 6 different types of 1 lakh car. i mean cars with some changes in designs. Ratan tata selected 1 car few days ago. and that car is gonna unvile on 10th.
Hey , You do seem to have some insider information about RT choices ! Great Going.
Old 8th January 2008, 09:42   #89
Senior - BHPian

"The car's cheapness could come at the cost of longevity."

I doubt this is really the case, but if it is, then Tata's looking to make huge money from sale of spares and service.
Old 8th January 2008, 10:02   #90
BHPian

For middle class people who want to take out their families on weekends, wherein they cannot afford to go for other cars. This is just a replacement of two wheeler considering a average family of 3-4 in crowded cities like Bangalore where traffic is a pain and parking is what you cannot think of.
The moral is "Kuchh Paane ke liye Kuchh khona padtha hai"

Most Viewed