Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2008, 09:51   #61
BHPian

What is it going to be called?

We've discussing so much about this car, is any one aware of what this car is gonna be called?

Come out with your guesses...
Old 6th January 2008, 10:43   #62
BHPian

I appriciate TATA , who could make such great hype , waves in meadia about their cars. Many of my friends, who are also aware about this launch otherwise they don't care about new cars. TATA also managed to keep spy photo away from launch. TATA guys are walking with great confidence. In just 9 years of venture in Car manufacturing they are doing very well. From one Indica platform they made 3 models and many varients. Today other car makers are consolidating their models in one platform. Good job TATA.
Old 6th January 2008, 12:11   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangu View Post
We've discussing so much about this car, is any one aware of what this car is gonna be called?

Come out with your guesses...
Mini Indica
Baby Indica
Baccho ki car

Indica V 0.5

May be I gess Jeh!!!
sameer551 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th January 2008, 12:17   #64
BHPian

My vote goes to Jeh!
Old 6th January 2008, 21:00   #65
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
My vote goes to Jeh!
To which the collective response is going to be..."Meh".

On a more serious note, marketing this autorickshaw car might be a bigger challenge than making it. Cars are very much about aspirational ownership, moving up the ladder, and there might be some amount of stigma to owning and to be seen as driving the *cheapest* car in India.

This Tata car might enhance the status of Maruti 800 owner like nothing else.

Enough of this 1 lakh hype, IMHO. The marketing and advertising team should now try and disasscosciate from the "cheapest car" tag, and make it more of a peppy-urban-playmobile kind of deal. Or something more original.

PS: Those 10 inch wheels are amazing. I think a straight job from scooters like Kinetic Honda, Activa etc.

Old 6th January 2008, 22:25   #66
BHPian

I thought I'd throw in a couple of points before the actual car is unveiled.
According to me, the 1 lac car cannot truly replace 2 wheelers even if Tata launches it at that price. Even if a person looking for a motorbike does manage to fork out about 40-50k more for this car, there are other costs which he/she might not be able to afford in the long run.

Compared to 2 wheelers, he'll have to pay more for parking every time (usually double the amount atleast), the car will consume 2-3 times more fuel (even at 30 kmpl) than a 2 wheeler, and the maintenance, insurance and service costs are gonna be a lot more than a 2 wheeler.

Also I don't think it's gonna cause much of a congestion in bigger cities as many people are speculating. That is because in cities like Delhi, Bombay, Bangalore etc. over the last 5-6 years, I've noticed a decreasing no. of Maruti 800's and even Alto's. As late as 2002, when someone had to buy their first car, they went for the 800/Alto and then gradually upgraded to Zen/Santro etc.
But these days most people start off with a Santro/Wagon R etc. and then upgrade to better cars. I mean stop at any traffic signal in Delhi and you'll notice that probably 1 out of every 6 car on an average is an 800, whereas before it was a lot more.
I think this has to do with increasing salaries and decreasing car prices and also a better lifestyle over the last 5-6 years. I don't think that in such a scenario, the 1 lac Tata car will be such a threat in those cities.
In fact, if I was part of Tata's management, I'd have spent more time and money upgrading the Indica or replacing it with something else for the cities.

However, the 1 lac car has a very good chance of selling well in the smaller towns and even rural areas where people just need a car to commute from A to B and they don't worry much about image, comfort, price etc. I think that should be Tata's target market and not the cities.
Old 6th January 2008, 22:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
However, the 1 lac car has a very good chance of selling well in the smaller towns and even rural areas where people just need a car to commute from A to B and they don't worry much about image, comfort, price etc. I think that should be Tata's target market and not the cities.

Agree with you. But at 1 L quality, will the car be strong enough to handle the load of rural india? They'd prefer any kind of open rickshaws....
Old 7th January 2008, 00:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
I thought I'd throw in a couple of points before the actual car is unveiled.
According to me, the 1 lac car cannot truly replace 2 wheelers even if Tata launches it at that price. Even if a person looking for a motorbike does manage to fork out about 40-50k more for this car, there are other costs which he/she might not be able to afford in the long run.

Compared to 2 wheelers, he'll have to pay more for parking every time (usually double the amount atleast), the car will consume 2-3 times more fuel (even at 30 kmpl) than a 2 wheeler, and the maintenance, insurance and service costs are gonna be a lot more than a 2 wheeler.

Also I don't think it's gonna cause much of a congestion in bigger cities as many people are speculating. That is because in cities like Delhi, Bombay, Bangalore etc. over the last 5-6 years, I've noticed a decreasing no. of Maruti 800's and even Alto's. As late as 2002, when someone had to buy their first car, they went for the 800/Alto and then gradually upgraded to Zen/Santro etc.
But these days most people start off with a Santro/Wagon R etc. and then upgrade to better cars. I mean stop at any traffic signal in Delhi and you'll notice that probably 1 out of every 6 car on an average is an 800, whereas before it was a lot more.
I think this has to do with increasing salaries and decreasing car prices and also a better lifestyle over the last 5-6 years. I don't think that in such a scenario, the 1 lac Tata car will be such a threat in those cities.
In fact, if I was part of Tata's management, I'd have spent more time and money upgrading the Indica or replacing it with something else for the cities.

If the TATA's 1 Lakh car was good, i would buy it in a heart beat, for some reason, i consider it a pride to have that Car

And it would work out fine for me, it would be gearless (as per reports), and my dad could drive it himself for weekend shopping or pick up my niece from school.
Old 7th January 2008, 02:25   #69
BHPian

If car is gearless/CVT and easy to drive in price band of 1 L to 1.5 Lac.
I am sure people will buy. Housewives, elderly people, milkman,paper walah, small shop keepers would buy easily. Secondly even if say I have a big car at home but don't want to drive for city traffic, then I would love to keep one small for small job, anybody at home can use this to go.
Third point, as cost is less, insurance will be around 2 K per yr and some people will make it CNG/LPG friendly as well.
The TCO - total cost of ownership and RIO- return on investment would be really great for this car.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 7th January 2008 at 02:27.
Old 7th January 2008, 02:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why speculate when there is an actual pic available
Where ?

There are half a dozen different pictures doing the rounds.

or

or

or

Last edited by bigman : 7th January 2008 at 02:45.
Old 7th January 2008, 07:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Where ?

There are half a dozen different pictures doing the rounds.
All of those pictures look very pretty and it is my guess that it cannot be any of those that one can get for 1 Lac.
Old 7th January 2008, 07:16   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Mini Indica
Baby Indica
Baccho ki car

Indica V 0.5

May be I gess Jeh!!!
It is going to be called TATA RTV.

Can anyone guess what RTV stands for ?
Old 7th January 2008, 07:26   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmami View Post

RTV - Rural Transport Vehicle?????

The Ratan

Tata One

Tata 650 (or whatever the final engine spec happens to be!)
Old 7th January 2008, 08:24   #74
BHPian

Didn't some one call it Indiva before ? Are you sure its RTV ?
Old 7th January 2008, 08:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmami View Post

RTV - Ratan Tata's Vehicle
or
RTV - Rural Transport Vehicle
or
RTV - Rough, Tough n Versatile...

Most Viewed