Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 00:46   #421
BHPian

Salute to Mr. Ratan Tata

No words can describe my feeling. I am feeling really very proud. We Indians made this car! right now, I am very far from India. I wish, I could be there to see and have a look at it. Mr. Ratan Tata and all the Engineers from Tata Motors, you have shown the world with sheer determination, one can turn the impossibility into a reality. It's a big day for the automotive world around the globe. You have created a milestone. How analytically yet humbly you have answered all the criticism that hurled towards this project. Ratan Tata, you are my hero. Hats off to you.
Old 11th January 2008, 00:52   #422
Senior - BHPian

For sure guys this tiny car will be fun to drive on roads ,I will sell of my pulsar and book one for me,atleast get saved from the Burning hot sun and dust of mumbai direct on my face.. anyone wants to buy a second hand pulsar hehehehehe
Old 11th January 2008, 01:00   #423
Senior - BHPian

The dashboard instrument panel provides rudimentary information only. This could have been made better. Also, is the car capable of carrying any luggage at all ?

Last edited by rr_zen : 11th January 2008 at 01:02.
Old 11th January 2008, 01:08   #424
Senior - BHPian

yaar its as good as a 4seater bike,what more can you expect out of the box buddy the only advantage is going to the office by saving some fuel
Old 11th January 2008, 02:28   #425
Senior - BHPian

The Nano claims to have 21pc more space than 800. I wonder where this 21pc space comes from, due to its shape. I guess the 800 has more practical usable space due to its boxy looks.
Old 11th January 2008, 02:35   #426
Senior - BHPian

50 years from now, people will speak of this car in the same breath as the Beetle and the Model-T. This will be the car that revolutionised personal transport across the developing world. And then people like us will say, yes, we remember, we saw it first.
Old 11th January 2008, 03:45   #427
BHPian

Tata History in Pics: IBNLive > Photogallery > News photos from India and World
Old 11th January 2008, 04:01   #428
BHPian

Nice pics Steer... Can we get some first hand reports/thoughts from the bhpians who have seen this car.

Did you all get a look or some pics of the engine or the boot for that matter? I really want to see how they have fit that engine in the rear.
Old 11th January 2008, 04:04   #429
BHPian

Yep can someone who's been at the expo give more light on the nano. I sure feel very good about it and i think will buy one for my wife!
Old 11th January 2008, 04:35   #430
Nos007

Awsome man its just a feeling of proudness that India is the first one to produce worlds cheapest car "NANO"...

Hats off to Mr. Ratan Tata & his team of engineers, they have just created a marvel, it looks so cool, so different on the indian roads, every inidian is so exited to see that car, Mr. Ratan Tata has kept his promise & give india a great gift on the new year, i am just curious to get the hands on that,

I am also waiting for the Bajaj-Renualt product.

Old 11th January 2008, 05:42   #431
BHPian

Looking at the pics, especially the interiors...

About twenty years back, the Industrial Design Centre (IDC) at IIT Bombay had designed a beautiful autorickshaw, given their ubiquitous presence on the Indian scene. This design has striking similarities. I'm almost sure that somebody from IIT Bombay (or even an alumnus of IDC) has a hand in it. Probably the student who designed then is the cheif design engineer now at Tata Motors. In which case, a large part of kudos should also go to IDC at IITB. (Will some alumnus of IDC please confirm this suspected connection?)

Nano is a beautiful piece of design and will become an international case study. The problem lies with defining this as a car. If described as a market-appropriate personal transportation vehicle (even autorickshaw was one), this is an awesome piece of engineering!

Without meaning to hurt any sentiments, I assert that this is the world's most luxurious autorickshaw!
Old 11th January 2008, 06:13   #432
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to the team at Tata Motors which created this car.....

They have taken the minimalist approach by making everything plain-jane specially the interiors. There isnt much to look or feel cheap, so there. Love the cubby holes in that dashboard.

I dont for a moment doubt that the internal volume is 20% higher than a M800....Reminds me of the original mini which is one of my all-time favorites. I hope it handles like the mini too.

I was hoping its a 3-cyl engine, that's the only disappointment for me on a personal level.
Old 11th January 2008, 06:42   #433

This might as well create a revolution in the indian car market.. even the chinese companies have given up, they say they can't provide a car in 1L. it is impossible for them..!! WAY TO GO MR. RATAN TATA..!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..!! : - )
Old 11th January 2008, 06:51   #434
BHPian

From ibnlive.com
Quote:
Shinzo Nakanishi, Managing Director, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd

"We cannot make a cheaper car. We don't know how to make a Rs 1 lakh car unless we sacrifice something. We won't go below the 800 in our product line-up, but this car may impact some of our Maruti 800 sales"
I am sure they day first nano is delivered, Mr Shinzo will suddenly find a way to cut the prices of M800.

Regards,
Old 11th January 2008, 07:33   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you guys think the pricing is genuine?

I have a suspicion that it fixed, so that that they can say, "We promised a 1-Lakh car and we delivered", and that they may be suffering loss on the vehicles sold at this price.*

Well, that's a marketing decision, and if it helps kick start the market for the car I guess it's ok to do that.

If my theory is true, though, the price will creep up as soon as they can do it without embarrassment.

*especially as they don't plan to deliver for seven months

Most Viewed