Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 07:58   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Also, is the car capable of carrying any luggage at all ?
Yeah, sure, on your laps. that is where the extra 21% space is going to help, you can stack them right up to the tall roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
The Nano claims to have 21pc more space than 800. I wonder where this 21pc space comes from, due to its shape. I guess the 800 has more practical usable space due to its boxy looks.
Old 11th January 2008, 08:57   #437
NIP
Senior - BHPian

just wondering what this might be. is there some luggage space under the front bonnet !? seems there might be...does this looks like some kind of bonnet release...?

Last edited by NIP : 11th January 2008 at 09:00.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:18   #438
Senior - BHPian

That is the Bonnet release lever. The bonnet can hold a small suitcase. It also houses the Battery, the windshield washer liquid bottle and the spare tire.

Kudos to Mr. Ratan Tata. We are proud of you. Thank you for making India proud with the Nano. The world is standing up and taking notice. Your dream car has rewritten the history books in the Automobile markets of the world. You are the best!!!!
Old 11th January 2008, 09:25   #439
Senior - BHPian

That's the bonnet release button.

But I agree with Thad that this car might be underpriced. As Mr.Tata has said n his speech y'day that the i/p costs have gone up drastically from the concept stage till now, we can expect some cost up may be in 2009 on the base model. Mr.Tata also said that they will make some profits only on the delux models.

Point taken Mr.Tata.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:27   #440
BHPian

If the AC version is available, I'll buy one. I should say, it don't really look bad and I would say it's the best toy a boy can buy now.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:29   #441
Team-BHP Support

Market expects 4900 profit/car for Tata, the stock price of tata shares tumbled yesterday
Old 11th January 2008, 11:47   #442
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you guys think the pricing is genuine?

I have a suspicion that it fixed, so that that they can say, "We promised a 1-Lakh car and we delivered", and that they may be suffering loss on the vehicles sold at this price.*

Well, that's a marketing decision, and if it helps kick start the market for the car I guess it's ok to do that.

If my theory is true, though, the price will creep up as soon as they can do it without embarrassment.

*especially as they don't plan to deliver for seven months
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I had raised this question earlier, and there are some posts in this thread itself too. Not to take anything away from Tata, but there is some doubt on whether the 1 lac price is the dealer landing price (as stated by him) or is it ex-showroom and will be 1.25 lacs on the road. Expectly, this price may only be an "introductory" offer which may well go higher, as early as 2009.

A quantum achievement nevertheless. For the price, it still comes across as a "proper" car.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:08   #443

Well as per information goes the price will stay at 1 lac, however the on road price will be closer to 1.2 lac.

Its a bold move by TATA, a bold and well respected move. There are very few people who deliver promises and Mr. Ratan Tata is one of them, going on record saying that the Promise was for a 1 lac car and that a Promise is a Promise.

I actually feel real proud today - TATA not looking at making profits from the car but giving the country's middleclass an option - a very good option at that - to move onto the next step.

HATS OFF TO TATA MOTORS - AND RATAN TATA.

A dream comes true.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:18   #444
NIP
Senior - BHPian

very true GTO. the AC version of the Nano could be somewhere near 1.5 - 1.6 lakhs on road by the time deliveries start. i have a strange feeling that the '1 lakh dealer price' statement could purely be a marketing gimmick, especially since the car will not see our roads for 7-8 months.

however, say the bookings open immediately and by Spet 08 there are around 350,000 bookings, hypothetically speaking (50k bookings per month for 7 months). if the booking amount is something like 10k, this should result in a huuuuge money pool for TATA to start production and roll out the Nano. they can stick to the '1 lakh' concept ONLY if they do these kind of volumes IMO.

Maruti already has a version of the M800 selling at 1.8 lakhs. Maruti could slash a couple of thousands from this sticker price and give the Nano some serious competition. Besides, M800 is more of a car than the Nano.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:26   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yeah, sure, on your laps. that is where the extra 21% space is going to help, you can stack them right up to the tall roof.
Space constraints will be an issue which will obviously not interest buyers looking at comfort. However an average middleclass indian family would want an affordable car.

Also, instead of allowing youngsters to zip around on two wheelers families would prefer a more stable/safer option at almost the same price.

It most certainly makes sense to me to have an option which will be appealing enough and would not hurt my pocket that bad.

And yes, I was wondering if TATA would have plans to launch a two seater version of the NANO.. Now you wud have space, a 4 wheeler with at least an airconditioner and an excellent mileage..

If i was back in college i most certainly would have bought the NANO.. cause i never believed i having more than one Girl Friend riding./driving with me.. and a two seater option wud have been the icing on the NANO..!!cheers:
Old 11th January 2008, 12:26   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti already has a version of the M800 selling at 1.8 lakhs. Maruti could slash a couple of thousands from this sticker price and give the Nano some serious competition. Besides, M800 is more of a car than the Nano.
Maruti plans to add some more features to the 800 to position it as a VFM wrt the Tata Nano.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:34   #447
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you guys think the pricing is genuine?

I have a suspicion that it fixed, so that that they can say, "We promised a 1-Lakh car and we delivered", and that they may be suffering loss on the vehicles sold at this price.*

Well, that's a marketing decision, and if it helps kick start the market for the car I guess it's ok to do that.
I don't think it is legal to sell at a loss; that is called "dumping" and may attract penalties. The purpose of dumping is to drive out the competitors from the market. If dumping is allowed, the big companies, which can absorb losses, can destroy the smaller upcoming companies which cannot afford to compete by selling at a loss.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:36   #448
Senior - BHPian

Here's a pic of the engine - taken at full stretch with a 300mm zoom (without a tripod), hence the engine pics were mostly hazy.

Old 11th January 2008, 12:37   #449
BHPian

Couldn't help comparing Nano with another affordable 'people transportation vehicle'...
Old 11th January 2008, 12:46   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
If the AC version is available, I'll buy one. I should say, it don't really look bad and I would say it's the best toy a boy can buy now.

You really think the AC would be effective on a 600cc engine, given our indian weather conditions....

Most Viewed