Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 13:45   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
1.4 lakhs for that rat-trap with a rag to cover your head. But then there are no environmentalists against it, nor is anyone concerned about crash-test worthiness or safety or convenience on the auto.

The motorized tela powered by a water pumpset that is the Force Minidor costs even more.
Very Very well said. Those very environmentalists use these rat traps!
Old 11th January 2008, 13:49   #467
Team-BHP Support

Please do not compare Auto's to the 1 lakh car. An Auto rickshaw is a MUV. It can carry 8 people + big luggage. Tata one lakh car can squeeze in max 5 and a small suitcase
With minor modifications, auto rickshaws can carry 15 people at a time.
Also an auto is a convertible, and convertible versions of cars are more expensive.
Old 11th January 2008, 13:51   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Please do not compare Auto's to the 1 lakh car. An Auto rickshaw is a MUV. It can carry 8 people + big luggage. Tata one lakh car can squeeze in max 5 and a small suitcase
With minor modifications, auto rickshaws can carry 15 people at a time.
Also an auto is a convertible, and convertible versions of cars are more expensive.
Please wait and watch. Our very own UP will see 7 people in the NANO witha luggage carrier full of bags!!
Old 11th January 2008, 13:53   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
well said steeroid

most of the discussion about this car in this forum, in news papers and TV is about the negative impacts. i feel the unstated/implied suggestion is

"only chosen few have right to car/4 wheeler"
"how dare all get 4 wheeler and make it difficult for the chosen few to travel in luxury"

further no body asked the safety aspect to any manufacturer till TATA came into picture. all of sudden everybody wants to know whether TATA car is safe / pollution etc etc.
are all the cars sold prior to TATA's entry are safe? pollution free?
why even today nobody question's maruti/ hyundai about safety of their cars?
Is Maruti 800, Zen, wagon R, santro are crash tested? or they crash safe?

so we have two standards one for TATA and other for all other car manufacturers

the other day some gentleman is asking that one lakh car does not have RPM meter. kindly go and see a 4 lakh santro. it does not have a RPM meter and also no internally adjustable OVRM's even today.

this effort has more to do with empowerment of all or majority of the population. it is more like inclusive growth ( all sections of a country)rather than exclusive growth of few
Completely agree... I dont know why everyone is talking about Nano polluting the nation. I suggest government to ban all the autos and replace them with the Nano!!!!
Old 11th January 2008, 13:55   #470
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I would be absolutely delighted if those rat traps are replaced by these machines.
According to the dealers and newspapers today, an Autorickshaw costs 1.4 lakhs if purchased ready cash. It may even cost upto 3lakhs in long term hire purchase plans. So, the Nano is truly an achievement in the whole motoring industry thru out the world.
Old 11th January 2008, 14:05   #471
Senior - BHPian

Not a mean feat at all, given the looks and the price. I am no Tata-fan in any sense of the term, but given that world over manufacturers (European/Japanese etc) are scrambling to come up with low-cost cars, this surely is an achievement. And since it is an Indian effort, we can take pride in this.

Being a small-car fan, this definitely appeals to me, with the only concern being reliability. Anyway, if it reduces the accident fatalities on our roads (by many bikers moving to this car), I think it would have served its purpose.

Though by the time it is rolled out, I would not be surprised if the price is close to 1.5lakh. And it would also not surprise if MUL does some price correction on the M800 (inspite of the noises to the contrary from the guys at Suzuki).

And I feel, even if Tata sticks to the promised 1lakh price, they can still make quite some money from A.S.S (emulate the Skoda way of business in India ).
Old 11th January 2008, 14:15   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And I feel, even if Tata sticks to the promised 1lakh price, they can still make quite some money from A.S.S (emulate the Skoda way of business in India ).
Just curious to know what makes you say that about the A.S.S. - any experiences or information about exorbitant cost of spares for Tata vehicles?

Or is it just because they have taken the fight to the Suzuki camp as far as the pricing is concerned?
Old 11th January 2008, 14:27   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious to know what makes you say that about the A.S.S. - any experiences or information about exorbitant cost of spares for Tata vehicles?
Tata plan to have some different ways of servicing the car, i read somewhere in the papers, that the people will come home and service the car

Quote:
My maid quit today... :(( ...because we cant give her parking space for her nano.

You can get her back by promising to illusionise here Nano. Then she can go for a long drive with you with some dhink chak dhink chak(bass) in the background & which can create trouble for the cars battery.
Old 11th January 2008, 14:28   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
...1. The 624 cc engine. How will it perform on ghat roads and long drives? Will it have the legendary reliability of the 800 cc engine of M800?.
use the car for what it is meant for - city driving!

Quote:
2. Safety: Looks like the front seat occupants do not have much protection in case of a head-on crash. Bonnet space is pretty small.
same response as above.

But if some one is using it for highway / drag racing / hill climbing - no one is stopping you!

Regardless, this is a moment in history where every Indian has to be proud of. Tata delivered what he promised against all critizism and negativity around.

I hope the Gov. Of India does recognize his contributions, if not now, later!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 11th January 2008 at 14:32.
Old 11th January 2008, 15:02   #475
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Mr.Ratan Tata for his vision of making a Car for the common mass & also for delivering on his promise of a Rs.1 lac Car!

The entire world is awestruck by this $2500 Car, it is a matter of pride that a Indian Car maker has achieved it!
Old 11th January 2008, 15:04   #476
Senior - BHPian

For city driving it will be best suited. Even compared to M800, this will be far far better. This is meant for city driving. you can drive this, instead of driving in your bike/scooter.
Old 11th January 2008, 15:14   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
any experiences or information about exorbitant cost of spares for Tata vehicles?
Nope, no personal experiences with Tata vehicles so far and hopefully never.

I did not say that they were going to do that for sure. And neither mentioned that it is what they do for their current product range. My surmise was based on the following :
1) Since they have had to stick to the original-quoted price (even if by choice), inspite of rise in input costs over the years, they might adopt the business model of recovering any loss in margin from sale of spares and maintenance (only for the Nano).

2) With the price being so attractive, I am sure sales is going to be brisk. And given the volumes, even a slight margin on spares/services for the Nano can mean a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Or is it just because they have taken the fight to the Suzuki camp as far as the pricing is concerned?
They can take it to Suzuki or Honda or wherever, for all I care. That would be Suzuki's headache, not mine.
Old 11th January 2008, 15:31   #478
Senior - BHPian

It's a little disappointing that people are so cynical about the Nano. So what if only the Base is priced at 1 lakh, ex showroom. So what if the prices will be revised 6 months hence. And will probably cost 1.5 lakh OTR. How does any of this undermine the achievement?

Please take note of the following things that cost a lakh of rupees:
* Digital SLR camers
* Swanky Home Theatre system
* Plasma TV
* Modular kitchen, just about.

Out of all of the above, the only thing you would be able to fit four people in would be the kitchen. But, I don't think it has passed any frontal impact tests or for that matter any mobility tests either. I agree that a camera or a plasma TV that costs a lakh would be at the higher end of the spectrum, better than rivals. My argument is to point out that, one lakh buys jack these days.

It definitely won't buy you Rudra's camera or his Mac. Though his camera with his ultra wide lenses and what not will fit more than 5 people for sure, not sure it survives frontal impact though.

I have some experience trying to build a prototype, with minimal outside labour, one lakh rupees is still far too less. Built with basic materials, off the shelf, and no guarantee on any of the functions. This is quite nothing short of a transportation revolution. Sure, our infrastructure is already in shambles, but why to blame Tata's car for any of it? Have any of the people who have been bad mouthing after effects on TV all day long, once questioned if a ministerial convoy of 15 cars ever put any extra load on the existing infrastructure?

I think it's fantastic that I don't have to be on the edge of my seat everytime I am driving, and there is bike around my left fender with a family of 4. I could never live with the guilt should , god forbid, my vehicle be responsible for any untoward incident.

For somebody who commented that his tricycle had bigger wheels, I would ask him to rear end a truck at 20 kmph and then see if he still lives to tell the story. Somebody asked for airbags. At a lakh of rupees? My Swift doesn't have them at 5 lakh rupees. Are we downplaying it just for the heck of it? Or is there a reason? The fact that pan wallas can finally talk about a vehicle they might be able to afford, probably justifies the effort on it's own.

Right now we should just bloat at the fact that this is a world first. And it's Indian. Maybe somebody will do it better. But who started the rat race? TATA did. That is worthy of praise just by itself.
Old 11th January 2008, 15:38   #479
Suryam

Quote:

2. Safety: Looks like the front seat occupants do not have much protection in case of a head-on crash. Bonnet space is pretty small.
I have heard that spare tire would be kept in bonnet. I am wondering that, If head-on collison happens, what is effect(positive-side) of a tire filled air with iron rim( some sort of cruble zones, shock abosrber,etc). If Tata engineers have used this tire as crumpling zone(of for safetey), they could even use this one as a patent --if this one not used in any other passenger car(for safetey features). BTW, they have filed some 30 patents for some of their efforts used in Engine side modifications.

Last edited by Suryam : 11th January 2008 at 15:50.

Old 11th January 2008, 15:43   #480
Senior - BHPian

Very Very Very Well said and put up, Ported Head!! Cheers to you!
I for one am totally with this thought. I hate the site of a Family on a scooty or Bike, Is that our social justice!!
My bidiwala today was also excited, and said that finally he can buy a car, and hoped that i wouldnt buy one of these! i told him for sure i shall buy one, just as a Salute to Mr. Tata.
NGO's are talking about the deaths on indian roads, what percentage of these are due to 2/3 wheelers visavis 4 wheelers and visavis trucks and commercial vehicles??

We at Tbhp should carry out a poll for this car and the Feat and send the results to Mr. Tata as a compliment!!

Most Viewed