Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2008, 01:29   #511
SuperSyn

There is a long lead time to the start of bookings and eventual deliveries. I am wondering if this car will be able to generate good volumes after the initial gold rush has died down. Sales in 2009 will be the real challenge; something to look out for.

Old 12th January 2008, 01:33   #512
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to TATA. Way to go.

Forget everything else, people...THE CAR IS RWD....!!!

I love TATA....!

Skeptics might say "ya, so is the BAJAJ RE & the APE..." & so on but; this is a C-A-R.

BTW, was just curious looking at the car; the aerodynamics as I see, is as efficient as a football field. Standing up. With 34 horses (as much as a carb 800) and a claimed 105 kmph top end, wouldn't the tiny tot be a bit hairy to handle...?

Bah. Never mind. All comments reserved until top-whack test. At last, a RWD...for the masses.Yay.

P.S- Loved the tight powertrain packaging. Does anybody have any idea of it's cooling lines? Radiator upfront, or is it a comprehensive rear-engine-rear-drive setup?

Last edited by veyron1 : 12th January 2008 at 01:36.
Old 12th January 2008, 01:37   #513
BHPian

Let us learn to appreciate the efforts and talk positive about the car, its not an easy task to come up with something like this!

Kudos to TATA and his team...!!! Forget the negative & mistake mongers who never achieve something in life nor appreciate something, ignore them and keep going Mr.TATA, Team-BHP is with you!!!
Old 12th January 2008, 03:03   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Any idea who designed the engine for Nano? (both petrol and diesel)
As per my information, this petrol engine is by Fiat and initial lot of 50,000 cars will have imported engines.
Old 12th January 2008, 03:16   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I have never been on this expressway. What is the speed limit on it ? I am guessing it is 80kmph like other places in India. If so, what is wrong in doing 60-70? They are actually within the law while others are breaking the law.
You would be surprised to know ive seen loaded ace chugging along at 80kmph on the expressway, so fully complying with the speed limits. I am quite sure the nano can go much faster than 80kmph on the expressway.
I have observed most of the traffic going along between 90-110kmph.
Old 12th January 2008, 03:18   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I think you are in the wrong forum.. TBHPians mostly own four-wheelers and 2-wheelers.

Air bags?? You are kidding me !! Anyway, even if Air bags are provided, I dont think they can be of much help in such a small car.
Not sure if this is a tricycle forum man...
Old 12th January 2008, 03:20   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
OT.

Steer, i read this post of yours and just scrolled down to look at the contraption that had this honorable description, my god, i am just laughing uncontrollably.

regards
tifosi.
He is quite right in his description of that thing. After all the engine is the one taken from a water pump/sugarcane juice cart. At idling the whole contraption shakes and rattles, i guess some day we might see the engine fall on the road
Old 12th January 2008, 03:25   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
It'll be similar to an M800 packed with the same number of people. Only, slightly slower.
Listen to this gem from the M800 makers - “We have arrived at a decision that with the current regulations on safety and emission, we are not capable of manufacturing a car which would cost as low as Rs 1 lakh . Further the Maruti 800 at its current price is the cheapest that we can offer right now and there is no room for us to discount this price,” said Maruti Suzuki India Ltd managing director Shinzo Nakanishi.
The only way they can discount further is by making the engine optional. Or, they need to get back to the drawing board.
ROTFL what is the 'safety' M800 folks are speaking about? 4 doors, tin can build , and of course seat belts hahaha
Old 12th January 2008, 03:25   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Kudos to TATA. Way to go.

Forget everything else, people...THE CAR IS RWD....!!!
Adding to it, the engine is also at the rear. Sign of fun times. If only there were higher powered variants (with a lower roof line)!
Old 12th January 2008, 08:34   #520
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I have never been on this expressway. What is the speed limit on it ? I am guessing it is 80kmph like other places in India. If so, what is wrong in doing 60-70? They are actually within the law while others are breaking the law.
Most cars do ~100 kmph on the Expressway. What is the top speed of the Nano? If it is 90 kmph, that is a touch low for the Expressway. If it is 105, that is passable, but only just.

Autos and two-wheelers are banned from the Expressway. Why do you think this is necessary, if the speed limit of 80 kmph were to be enforced? Obviously the authorities have no intention to enforce any speed limit, and if there is no enforcement, there is no speed limit. Under these circumstances, slow-moving vehicles should stay off the Expressway, in the interests of safety.
Old 12th January 2008, 09:16   #521
Senior - BHPian

It sounds to me like its an Indica 1.4 engine chopped in half with a balancer shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
P.S- Loved the tight powertrain packaging. Does anybody have any idea of it's cooling lines? Radiator upfront, or is it a comprehensive rear-engine-rear-drive setup?
Going by the air ducts on both rear doors, the radiator is definetly in the back although I think it will only be a single rad.
Old 12th January 2008, 10:30   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
It's also made the Reva look amazingly stupid.
With the price sure to go up, reliability and after sales service will be the key to the Nano's success.
Yes, totally. The Reva and Maini would be looking for places to go hide. But then they have monopolistic battery vendors to contend with. I sure hope this spurs a new effort to redesign a better looking and cheaper car at Maini - and eventually egg Tata on to go the alternative-fuel route too.
Old 12th January 2008, 12:48   #523
Senior - BHPian

Men are never satisfied nor happy with anything in life !! Its a point proven on this thread without an arguement.

Tata's Nano is a car specially designed and sold for a specific class of people for daily needs. As someone already pointed out earlier, "dont expect anything from a Rs.1 lak car which you dont find in a 4 lak santro nor wagon R". Exception includes RPM meter, airbags, music system, powerful engine, powerful AC, high quality interiors, huge luggage space and many more such things. None of these facilities come with a 4 lak worth wagon R nor santro nor any of similar priced cars.

If one has nothing to talk about one of the best achievements by an indian company (which might become a milestone in the automobile history), stop talking crap. For God's sake, stop comparing a 4 wheel to crappy autos and 2 wheels. Tata's website is open for feedbacks and comments that can influence the final outcome of the Nano in few months. Do some creative contribution to that and be part of automobile history. I am booking 2 for my family for sure !!
Old 12th January 2008, 13:57   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
... and eventually egg Tata on to go the alternative-fuel route too.
Ratan Tata has hinted that the next step will be an electric/hybrid version.
Old 12th January 2008, 14:19   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
"dont expect anything from a Rs.1 lak car which you dont find in a 4 lak santro nor wagon R". Exception includes RPM meter, airbags, music system, powerful engine, powerful AC, high quality interiors, huge luggage space and many more such things. None of these facilities come with a 4 lak worth wagon R nor santro nor any of similar priced cars.

Sure, this car is not meant for a car buyer, it is meant for a family that carries itself on a scooter, which i have also did & do sometimes even now just for kicks or when my car is not available to me.

There is really no point in comparing it to the more expensive cars like the alto or wagonR, it is like comparing an alto to the Civic, there is simply no comparison, but both cater to different segments of people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks