Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2008, 15:12   #526
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
As someone already pointed out earlier, "dont expect anything from a Rs.1 lak car which you dont find in a 4 lak santro nor wagon R". Exception includes RPM meter, airbags, music system, powerful engine, powerful AC, high quality interiors, huge luggage space and many more such things. None of these facilities come with a 4 lak worth wagon R nor santro nor any of similar priced cars.

Add lack of safe handling on highways at speeds above 100 KMPH. A car which is not safe at speeds above 100 KMPH cannot do speeds above 100KMPH.
Old 12th January 2008, 21:36   #527
Senior - BHPian

My above post was purely a personal opinion, not intended to hurt any members here. I use a 2007 model wagon R Lxi at present which did not have any standard equipments like an RPM meter, Airbags, ABS, Broad tires, music system (not even a provision for rear speakers), Power windows etc. No safety feeling above 80 kmph, not enough power when AC is on or when it has 5 adults in it without AC. Bad looking (bread box shape according to many critics) and many drawbacks with the gear shift and other areas. With all these negatives in market right from the day Wagon R was launched in India, many people still prefer to buy it from the practical point of use.

Same applies to Tata Nano. Its a 100% economical, practical, better designed, small car for a family of 4 or 5. A family that travels with 2 kids on a bike or scooter worries about airbags ? AC ? lack of engine power (they are used to moving around with a 100cc engine) ? music system ? RPM meter ? luggage space ? luxury seats ? great looks ? None of these really matters ! Its a better way of moving around with added safety feeling and comfort atleast they dont get burned under direct sun. Thousands are eagerly waiting to the booking day just 2 days after the unveiling !!
Old 12th January 2008, 22:10   #528
Team-BHP Support

I just admire the man, Ratan Tata !!

Great going !!!

My only concern would be, rear engine design and indian summer, hope tata has got a trick or two up their sleeve. Again 3 cheers !!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th January 2008 at 22:16. Reason: rear engine
Old 13th January 2008, 09:36   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Kudos to TATA. Way to go.

Forget everything else, people...THE CAR IS RWD....!!!

At last, a RWD...for the masses.Yay.
10-4, man, 10-4. I hear ya on that one. I am crossing my fingers and hoping this car handles well (maybe as well as the dolphin?? not a bad thing to dream, huh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
P.S- Loved the tight powertrain packaging. Does anybody have any idea of it's cooling lines? Radiator upfront, or is it a comprehensive rear-engine-rear-drive setup?
HUH? Where are the powertrain pics? Did I miss them? Was hoping to see something on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
It sounds to me like its an Indica 1.4 engine chopped in half with a balancer shaft.
MPower this is a 600 something odd- cc engine. Logically, if its like you said, they probably de-stroked the engine to retain the same combustion chamber shape, valve gear and pistons to save money (except the cams, they need to make new ones anyway).

Last edited by ananthkamath : 13th January 2008 at 09:41.
Old 13th January 2008, 10:34   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That was not a loose statement, but an educated guess and there is quite some difference between the two. And unless you are having some insider info of the Nano pricing that we are not privy to, then you are also doing what the rest of us are - making a guess.

And I have studied enough of P.D. & C.E. during my Engg. to know about costs and the types thereof. So thanks.
SupremeBaleno - what insider information on pricing are you talking about? It has been stated that dealer price will be retained at 1 lac (exclusive of VAT & transportation).

I basically don't know why you are going on & on & on like a gramophone record. But, it doesn't surprise me since its a TATA product, not a MARUTI. So can we drop it now?

I'm not making any guess - you are & I also think you are making a lot of statements about intergrity & ethics of TATA in the process. I'm not on their payroll but I do not see the need to run them down. First it was the cynicism about how they would never be able to do it - now that they have, its a lot of senseless talk about how they would price their spares & A.S.S so high so as to make up for losses. As I said, it doesn't happen in the real world - unless you have information that proves otherwise, your ridiculous statements are going to be challenged
Old 13th January 2008, 10:39   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
MPower this is a 600 something odd- cc engine. Logically, if its like you said, they probably de-stroked the engine to retain the same combustion chamber shape, valve gear and pistons to save money (except the cams, they need to make new ones anyway).
Hmm....you are right. I think the ACE was 1/2 of an Indica diesel so I thought they have done the same thing here. The Xeta 1.2 is a destroked 1.4 but that dosen't add up either. They may have retained conrods, valves, plugs, the whole timing drive assy and other misc stuff. Oil and water pumps need to be downsized to save every penny.
Old 13th January 2008, 13:28   #532
BHPian

Ratan Tata, You are real Bharat Ratna! You are a true Son of the Soil !!
Old 13th January 2008, 13:32   #533
Senior - BHPian

I think its time to change the title of this thread to something like " Tata's Nano, opinions and suggestions" or "Tata's Nano and its potential users". Mods please update the thread title instead of someone starting a new thread on the 'post-unveiling' time. Just a suggestion !!
Old 13th January 2008, 16:29   #534
BHPian

Tata motors deserves applaud for innovation

I makes me sad that people are comparing Nano to Pakistan's Sitara or Dolphin. Tata motors didnot pimp and assemble this car, they innovated many things while creating this car.

In Ratan Tata's own words:
Quote:
Q: You have made the point before that you would like to create more intellectual property right in the group. What are the barriers?
A: Challenges need to be given to an organization. Let's just stop at Tata Motors for a minute. In developing the small car, we have filed 40 patents in relation to small cars. Tata Motors last year filed some 200 patents. The year before we filed 30. If I go back a few years, we didn't file any. If there are challenges thrown across, then some interesting, innovative solutions are found. Without challenges the tendency is to go on the same way.
Half of the Nano's patents are realted to drive train and engine technolgies. So it is clear that they are not just importing engines from Fiat (like somebody said on this thread). Whether they chopped down an existing engine or created one from scratch...they did create innovate solutions. They deserve full credit for that.

Hats off to Ratan Tata and his engineers.

1. Ratan Tata's interview in Times of India
2. Engineering the Nano

-Vaspro
Old 13th January 2008, 18:04   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
ROTFL what is the 'safety' M800 folks are speaking about? 4 doors, tin can build , and of course seat belts hahaha
Hahaha well said. Well, its more or less same like what you have said. But it is not available at 1 L.
Old 13th January 2008, 20:52   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
I makes me sad that people are comparing Nano to Pakistan's Sitara or Dolphin. Tata motors didnot pimp and assemble this car, they innovated many things while creating this car.

I have half a mind to let this silly comment go. But, let me point out that I was referring to the excellent handling of the Dolphin and was hoping (dreaming) the Nano must be able to achieve the same.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th January 2008 at 22:25.
Old 14th January 2008, 09:10   #537
Suryam

A comparsion of Maruti800/ with Nano. Please edit/update if you have more details(especially at ???)

Maruti800/Nano

Length,mm 3335/3100
Width,mm 1400/1500
Height, mm 1405/1400

Wheelbase, mm 2175/???
Turning Radius,m 4.4/???

Ground clearance,mm 170/180
Unladen Weight, kg 650/???
Laden Weight, kg 1000/???

Cylinders 3/2
Displacement,cc 796/623
Power, bhp 37 @5000 rpm/33 @5500 rpm
Torque, Nm 59 @2500 rpm/48 @2500 rpm

Suspension Front McPherson strut arm/ McPherson strut with lower A arm
& coil spring

Suspension Rear Coil spring with gas/ Independent coil spring
filled shock absorbers /

Front Brake Disc/Disc
Rear break Drum/Drum

Tires Tube/Tubeless
Tires size 140-75-R12/???
Fuel Tank,litres 28/ 30

Emiision standards Bharat-III/ Bharat-III and the Euro-4 Emission standards.
Crash tests ??? /Frontal & Side collison tests

Fuel Consumption
Highway 21 ??/26.00
City 17 ?? / 22.00

Top Speed,kmph: ???/ 90

Old 14th January 2008, 10:24   #538
BHPian

Emission norms

During the launch or Mr. Ratan Tata mentioned that the Nano meets emission norms and that it meets Bharat-III norms.

Have they published these values?

OT: Do other car makers publish these values? Is there some place where we Bharath I, II, II norms values are published.
Old 14th January 2008, 14:00   #539
BHPian

Fiat & Nano

Inida Today article on Nano says that the engine was "tuned" by Fiat. Typical engine supplier in India
Old 14th January 2008, 15:12   #540
Senior - BHPian

Is this the source of design for the Nano?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ubishi_i_1.jpg

Most Viewed