Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 09:28   #1
BHPian

TATA : Rs 1-lakh car's Rajkot connection

RAJKOT: The much-awaited Rs 1-lakh car from the Tata stables may roll out from Singur in West Bengal, but many critical components that will make the dream car vroom, including parts of the engine and gearbox, will be actually be made in this engineering hub at the other end of the country - Rajkot.

For, it will be Rs 100-crore Rajkot-based engineering firm Kadavani Forge Ltd (KFL) will supply 23 critical components for the dream car that is expected to roll out in the last quarter of 2008.

"Samples of the auto parts to be used in the gearbox and engine have already been submitted to Tata Motors Ltd (TML). The company's experts visited the plant to approve the components," said KFL chairman and managing director Kishor Kadavani, indicating the deal will rake in Rs 13 crore for his company. KFL will be supplying components for the car to Avtec, a C K Birla group company that will manufacture the engine for the car that is being pitched by the Tatas as a 'people's car'.

Kadavani says, "We will start supplying components to Avtec from February. TML experts will also monitor the production of the component from time to time. We will be supplying 1.10 lakh pieces of each component to begin with."

Jayant Jamuar, director (technical), KFL, said that around 27 per cent of the parts used for the dream car would be manufactured in Rajkot. These include vital components like internal transmission shaft, second and third gear, first speed driving gear and engine main shaft.

This, however, is not the first time that KFL will be supplying components to the Tatas. It already supplies six components for Tatas' mini truck—Ace. The company is also an approved supplier of forged components to auto giants like M&M, Ford, Fiat, JCB, Ashok Leyland, Eicher Motors, GM, Avtec, Magna Star and other companies in the UK, US, Germany and France.

Source : Rs 1-lakh car's Rajkot connection-Ahmedabad-Cities-The Times of India
Old 20th December 2007, 09:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, dear. We did read this in the news papers. As you already know, every car has parts that come from different manufacturers from different places. So too with the 1-Lakh car & KFL & Rajkot ..
Old 20th December 2007, 10:13   #3
BHPian

My point is that when a company is manufacturing parts for auto giants like M&M, Ford, Fiat, JCB, Ashok Leyland, Eicher Motors, GM, Avtec, Magna Star and other companies in the UK, US, Germany and France.... The Parts wont play a lemon role in so called Unsafe car of tata.

Recently i have seen that the car is being criticised like anything comparing to autos and what not before its even launched. I mean lets respect the labour and tech that led to this type of product. It will prove atleast something from india. Everyone is producing negative thoughts.

When maruti launched estilo (unsafe one) everybody was against them. Now when maruti is complaining about TATA's 1 lac car... everyone is with them. This is like a herd of buffalos. Go where everyone is going.

I personally would love to see it and TD it beforeboasting what newspaper yells.
Old 20th December 2007, 10:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdesai1987 View Post
My point is that when a company is manufacturing parts for auto giants like M&M, Ford, Fiat, JCB, Ashok Leyland, Eicher Motors, GM, Avtec, Magna Star and other companies in the UK, US, Germany and France.... The Parts wont play a lemon role in so called Unsafe car of tata.

Recently i have seen that the car is being criticised like anything comparing to autos and what not before its even launched. I mean lets respect the labour and tech that led to this type of product. It will prove atleast something from india. Everyone is producing negative thoughts.

When maruti launched estilo (unsafe one) everybody was against them. Now when maruti is complaining about TATA's 1 lac car... everyone is with them. This is like a herd of buffalos. Go where everyone is going.

I personally would love to see it and TD it beforeboasting what newspaper yells.
Totally agree with you, I have ime and again said that a company which set up the first crash test facility in the country, even before the govt thought about introducing such norms and which is putting so much into emission and fe standards cannot ignore basic safety needs. It shouls atleast be as safe as a Maruti 800.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks