Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 16:17   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
There is another thread running about someone who waited 6 months for a BMW. By the waiting period argument, that would make BMW a huge success in India. The fact remains that if supply is artificially small, a waiting period cannot indicate success
off topic : Brother you mean to say BMW is not successful in India ? I rest my case.
Old 20th January 2008, 16:35   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
off topic : Brother you mean to say BMW is not successful in India ? I rest my case.
I don't really have an strong opinion on BMW either way - in their case the lack of availability of a model doesn't indicate success or failure. It just shows shows that if a manufacturer chooses to make/import fewer cars, there will be a waiting period. It doesn't mean the car is a huge success. If someone adopts that strategy for a 70bhp hatchback which consequently has a waiting period, it doesn't mean the car is a success in its segment.
Old 20th January 2008, 19:55   #618
Senior - BHPian

So that means the Getz diesel is a huge success? Waiting is close to 4 months for it?

Quote:
I disagree, other than the high price the Fabia looks like a pretty appealing package. Look at how excited everyone was on this forum about it until the pricing was announced
In what is the Fabia appealing? Looks, Price, Value for Money? For 9L Skoda could do better. Remember they are also taking the excise benefits.
Old 20th January 2008, 20:08   #619
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
errr. . difference here would be, the Skoda Sells.

Regardless busa, let me first clear i do not work for skoda. And if demand is more than supply, obviously someone is buying or wanting to buy this car. So according to that it is a success. But whether 6 months down the line, will there be the same queue for the Fabia is a thing to wait and watch.
Skoda to join entry-level car race in India by 2010

Well, Skoda sold 12000 cars in entire 20007. thats the # of santros and indicas that sell in a month. So i wont be saying that skoda sells.

Skoda has only 3000 confirmed orders for fabia. Lets see if that sales figure changes with fabia.
Old 21st January 2008, 02:06   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post

Well, Skoda sold 12000 cars in entire 20007. thats the # of santros and indicas that sell in a month. So i wont be saying that skoda sells.
Keep in mind that the 12000 units consists of Lauras, Octavias and Superbs. The volumes in these segments are much lower than the Santro segment.
Old 21st January 2008, 09:58   #621
BHPian

I dont think skoda is looking at large numbers. They will sell smaller numbers but keep up the profits by having a very high profit margin per customer
Old 21st January 2008, 10:13   #622
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I dont think skoda is looking at large numbers. They will sell smaller numbers but keep up the profits by having a very high profit margin per customer
I think they are looking at large #s...else why would they enter small market and expand their plant capacities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Keep in mind that the 12000 units consists of Lauras, Octavias and Superbs. The volumes in these segments are much lower than the Santro segment.
Yes, but i wanted to drive the point that skoda doesnt sell as compared to other companies. Skoda's sales are less than 1% of Indian auto market. But to be fair to them, they are now trying to get into small market and increase their sales.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:15   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Two questions!

1. Whats that for? The cap on top of S?

In Czech language Skoda is written with that cap on top of S. You can find the pronunciation at the following URL:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...6/Cs-Skoda.ogg

The way I hear it as: dah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Two questions!

2. How far is seattle from trivandrum?
Only 12000 miles.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:22   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda to join entry-level car race in India by 2010

Skoda has only 3000 confirmed orders for fabia. Lets see if that sales figure changes with fabia.
If one read this article in its entirety you find that they are living in their own wonderland.

Here is the quote from that URL:

The car was launched under Rs 5 lakh to compete with the top-end variants of Maruti Swift and Hyundai Getz.

Where did they launch this car under 5Lakh ? In Africa ?
Old 21st January 2008, 10:26   #625
Team-BHP Support

Not sure but I think that the price of the lowest petrol variant is 4.99l ex showroom Delhi.
Old 21st January 2008, 11:58   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but i wanted to drive the point that skoda doesnt sell as compared to other companies. Skoda's sales are less than 1% of Indian auto market. But to be fair to them, they are now trying to get into small market and increase their sales.
Ofcourse Skoda "sells compared to other companies". In the segments its present in , it has pretty decent sales.
Old 21st January 2008, 12:54   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think they are looking at large #s...else why would they enter small market and expand their plant capacities.

well if u wanted to proove that skoda does not sell. YOu have not succeeded. By you saying they dont sell, their sales dont go down.
Old 21st January 2008, 13:00   #628
Team-BHP Support

Well I have 2 prospective Fabia buyers in my office already. One is a VP and the other is a Director.

They are looking for a small car which has all the features solidly built and don't really need boot space. They need a car easy to drive in traffic.

Both of them are impressed with the Fabia. Budget/Mileage/A.S.S is really not a big concern for them.

There will be many such people in other companies and for them Fabia will be a good choice. So it will sell. Their target audience is clearly the well heeled with the requirements I mentioned above.
Old 21st January 2008, 13:54   #629
BHPian

Remember my earlier comment, if people can buy Octavia for 15 lakh on road, people will also buy Fabia for almost half the price.
Old 21st January 2008, 14:18   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Remember my earlier comment, if people can buy Octavia for 15 lakh on road, people will also buy Fabia for almost half the price.

exactly both are cars are equally reasonale/unreasonable in pricing

Most Viewed