Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 22:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Does this mean Skoda really want to be associated with the masses ?
Old 20th December 2007, 22:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting to buy the Fabia till it launched,but then dropped the idea,as its going to be expensive hatch,the car will be new in the market and success/flop stories/rewiews will release after a couple of months,and some how i wasnt liking the shape of the new fabia after seeing a Test mule on road...!!!
Old 20th December 2007, 22:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

8 lacs? For an underpowered hatch?

Here's food for thought. Do you think the Fabia can correct the wrongs of the SRV?

Unless powered by the 150 hp 4 pot....I don't think so.
Old 20th December 2007, 22:54   #34
BHPian

We've been hearing quite a lot about the service issues on Skoda's and their exhorbitant prices for spare parts, so not sure how this would work out for Fabia. Looking at the engine options listed here, none of them seem to excite very much.

7 odd for a hatch similar to what SRV was priced at and we know what happened to that.

It going to be a tough struggle in the diesel hatch segment for Fabia with people spoilt for choices with Swift D, Getz D, Palio D(MJD), new Indica.
Old 20th December 2007, 23:07   #35
BHPian

European cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
If the prices are correct then this would be the cheapest European car to Buy in India
Is not the FIAT an Italian company like the Skoda is a Czeck company?
Has Italy broken away from the European union?
Is not the Palio still manufactured/assembled in India?
Old 20th December 2007, 23:08   #36

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
If you feel it lacks power, Get it peted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
Busa 90bhp with tuning box.It can remap to 100bhp and petes have that.Top end wont be 8.5lacs,less than that around 7.5lacs OTR.
wouldnt somebody rather buy the getz crdi and get it peted...
it may be built real well,rides well and has all the features but hello ...8lacs for a hatch.
Old 20th December 2007, 23:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Ridiculing Skoda ? On the highways of Kerala (and even TN), all you see are Skodas. We are actually worshipping it, atleast in the south.
They should be worshipped as they are Solid, but then at those prices we want them to be badged as a VW rather than a Skoda, again we want different engines in some cases, we dont want them to sell Octavia at its launch price with its recent iteration selling in a segment above. Nothing against the cars but the way they manage their India initiative.
Old 20th December 2007, 23:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
They should be worshipped as they are Solid, but then at those prices we want them to be badged as a VW rather than a Skoda, again we want different engines in some cases, we dont want them to sell Octavia at its launch price with its recent iteration selling in a segment above. Nothing against the cars but the way they manage their India initiative.
But bottomline is that this strategy has worked for them. And people compaining on power, please undertsand that it is not always what most the buyers want. Remember how we all discounted Laura before/after its launch but it had the sales chart in green for them and it is success model for India. Skoda is now regarded as a premium brand to most Indians (well auto educated or not). Skoda is simply trying to capitalise on this and target customers who want a solid feeling hatch loaded with a little gizmos and a brand value attached to it.

I personally feel that any Skoda is a much expensive car, but everyone has different requirements. If everything always boiled down to power, comfort and handling, Palio 1.6 would have been a runaway success. Whatver we say, whether it was ahead of its times, bad dealership n/w or low FE, the reality it is that it flopped and even the new Stile is not a success comparing to the sales of its compititors.

Finally lets wait and watch.

Last edited by dipen : 20th December 2007 at 23:32.
Old 20th December 2007, 23:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
But bottomline is that this strategy has worked for them. And people compaining on power, please undertsand that it is not always what most the buyers want. Remember how we all discounted Laura before/after its launch but it had the sales chart in green for them and it is success model for India. Skoda is now regarded as a premium brand to most Indians (well auto educated or not). Skoda is simply trying to capitalise on this and target customers who want a solid feeling hatch loaded with a little gizmos and a brand value attached to it.

I personally feel that any Skoda is a much expensive car, but everyone has different requirements. If everything always boiled down to power, comfort and handling, Palio 1.6 would have been a runaway success. Whatver we say, whether it was ahead of its times, bad dealership n/w or low FE, the reality it is that it flopped and even the new Stile is not a success comparing to the sales of its compititors.

Finally lets wait and watch.
Can i ask you one thing?If the Swift VDI fitted with MSD,ABS,Sunroof,Music system,Parking sensors and all other features what Fabia has now, then what will be the price?They will also quote the same price like Fabia.So why we simply arguing about the price.

Last edited by jerish666 : 20th December 2007 at 23:58.
Old 21st December 2007, 00:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIPEN
And people compaining on power, please undertsand that it is not really what most the buyers want.
Actually, it's not just the power front. Skoda faced unexpected, yet runaway success in the D segment due to lack of competition. There are no other diesel variants in that segment. Had the Accord/Civic diesels or the Camry/Corolla diesels been launched at competitive prices, Skoda would've bitten dust. Literally.

When it comes to upper B segmenters, it's a different ball game altogether. Yes, Skoda is synonymous with fuel efficiency & build quality in India (as of now), but when you begin to compete with the likes of Maruti & Hyundai, you better play your cards right...which is why the Palio failed commercially; lack of power had little to do with it....

You need to have a USP when you compete with the masses. Want diesel FE, A.S.S, peace of mind? Maruti. Want outright torque, build quality & space? You have Hyundai. What can Skoda offer in this segment that would guarantee volumes...?

OT; After the much debated launch of the Logan, we all thought TBHP was wrong in predicting the market. After the 60% recent reduction in production & sales, we might not be SO wrong after all..
Old 21st December 2007, 03:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post

You need to have a USP when you compete with the masses. Want diesel FE, A.S.S, peace of mind? Maruti. Want outright torque, build quality & space? You have Hyundai. What can Skoda offer in this segment that would guarantee volumes...?
A Skoda is considered a much better brand than Hyundai and like Jerish mentioned, if the Getz or the Swift were loaded with all the features of the Fabia Im sure they would be expensive too. We all complain about how the Swift D and Getz D dont have any safety features and now that the Fabia apparently has all safety features shouldnt we be happy?
Old 21st December 2007, 03:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
8 lacs? For an underpowered hatch?

Here's food for thought. Do you think the Fabia can correct the wrongs of the SRV?

Unless powered by the 150 hp 4 pot....I don't think so.
How much power did the Octavia have? Wasnt it a success? Im not sure if the average buyer really has power on the top of his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
wouldnt somebody rather buy the getz crdi and get it peted...
it may be built real well,rides well and has all the features but hello ...8lacs for a hatch.
I believe the Getz CRDi is 6.5 lakhs on road and doesnt have the Skoda badge, European build quality ABS, EBD, Sunroof Parking Sensors and a Music System.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Does this mean Skoda really want to be associated with the masses ?
The masses would rather buy a Fiesta or a Verna.

Last edited by ported_head : 21st December 2007 at 03:18. Reason: Please use EDIT when posting within 20 minutes.
Old 21st December 2007, 04:26   #43
BANNED

Fabia, seems like an expensive hatch for rich boys and gals to park with their Octys and Lauries.

Those who are faithful to the name SKODA, if looking for a small car and have the money for it, will definitely buy a FaBia. More than that, I don't see a first time new car buyer or an automobile enthusiast going for this Skoda product.
Am I completely wrong?
Old 21st December 2007, 04:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Fabia, seems like an expensive hatch for rich boys and gals to park with their Octys and Lauries.

Those who are faithful to the name SKODA, if looking for a small car and have the money for it, will definitely buy a FaBia. More than that, I don't see a first time new car buyer or an automobile enthusiast going for this Skoda product.
Am I completely wrong?
How many times have you been?!
Old 21st December 2007, 08:01   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Those who are faithful to the name SKODA, if looking for a small car and have the money for it, will definitely buy a FaBia.
I rather doubt it.

My friend who another Team-Bhp'ian has mentioned in this thread earlier, has a Skoda. Now wanted to sell his Swift for Fabia. I had even posted for that Swift in the market section. A Skoda- fan, actually!

After a TD (Please don't ask how and which dealer) and hearing the pricing, they've very generously dropped the idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks