Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2007, 12:54   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
If the engine was a 4pot then the price would be justified. The PD engines are outdated, they are too noisy and with 3 cylinders the vibration is too much. Top end should not be more then 7.5OTR.
That means swift MJD is better than skoda fabia PD engine.Only because it is 3 cylinder and PD engine is outdated.Is there any problem for this engine?
Old 21st December 2007, 13:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
That means swift MJD is better than skoda fabia PD engine.Only because it is 3 cylinder and PD engine is outdated.Is there any problem for this engine?
Its not the Swift engine. Its the Fiat JTD engine and its way better then anything Skoda has on offer as of today. 1.2L DOHC, 16Valves, 6 on board computers, i mean when it comes to tech nothing beats Fiats Diesels.

Fabia engine is going to be noisy and the car is gonna vibrate thanks to the 3 pot. Just sit in a Accent Diesel and you will know what i mean.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AMIT
I am not paying 7 lakhs for a 3 cylinder diesel engine. Doesn't matter if Skoda gives me ABS, EBD, 2 airbags, Sunroof etc.
Well the Accent CRDi was a 3 pot engine minus all the extra that you dont want but yes it was sedan which matters in India

@Other: Yes Fiat is European my Bad.

Quote:
Gasolinejunky
But I guess Skoda has a really good name in the Indian market, I don’t think any other country thinks that highly of it, and that might be an advantage.
Exactly, this wont be Swift D is Sales for sure but I belive can surely compete with the likes of Getz D & Fusion D none of which are hot selling with former having non of the safety features. Also IMHO Skoda is recognised as a better (premium)brand in India than Hyundai & Ford.

I belive if it can have interiors quality similar to Octy & return decent FE along with decent space(read more than Swift) it should sell well not as well as a Maruti but I dont think it will be a flop.

Didnt we all hear similar criticism when Laura was launched that its an upgraded Octy with ridiculous name & pricing & we all know what happened finally.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st December 2007 at 13:07.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Skoda is offerig aaverage engine and hence trying to lure the buyer by giving so many features, but trust me this car wont set the sales chart on fire and the sole reason being that even if Skoda gives additional features like massaging seats, batman air ballon brakes, Submarine Suspension then also nobody would care much, since its a hatch after all.
Busa, how many people who buy a car are even aware of the power output of their engine, let alone knowing technical things like whether its a three cylinder engine or four?

IMO, in India atleast, a hatch sells on following points:

1) Price
2) Mileage
3) Space and build
4) Perceived status symbol

For an average buyer technical nitty gritties follow much later, unless there is a known failure during or immediately after the launch.

As for Skoda Fabia, it certainly scores heavily on last three points. As for the price, I believe people would be willing to shell out extra bucks for point 3. I see no reason, why it should not sell, irrespective of the type of engine it sports.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:09   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
perhaps i would say it is cheap, fiesta topend diesel which doesnt even have those many features would cost you around 9.5 lacs on road. what for? that little extra boot....

check out Å*koda Auto - Homepage Fabia has decent boot space of 300 ltrs.
maybe you are right. maybe its not cheap but its definitely not expensive for i know. every penny is worth it.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the Accent CRDi was a 3 pot engine minus all the extra that you dont want but yes it was sedan which matters in India
When Accent CRDi was launched, it had no competition, it was the first CRDi engine car in our country(leaving aside the Merc's) and most importantly it has a boot. Tell me what extra does a Verna have then the Accent CRDi, nothing, yes there is a SX version which has some add ons but the base Verna is similarly equipped as the Accent and it sells since its a sedan.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:13   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
IMO, in India atleast, a hatch sells on following points:

1) Price
2) Mileage
3) Space and build
4) Perceived status symbol

For an average buyer technical nitty gritties follow much later, unless there is a known failure during or immediately after the launch.

As for Skoda Fabia, it certainly scores heavily on last three points. As for the price, I believe people would be willing to shell out extra bucks for point 3. I see no reason, why it should not sell, irrespective of the type of engine it sports.
I mean point 4 - Perceived Status Symbol
Old 21st December 2007, 13:18   #68
BHPian

Skoda is playing it clever i guess. starting it at 5. they are putting it close enough for luring the getz/swift buyers. When Big momma (VW) launches the jetta they may position it just outside of this starting at 6.5 to 10 so they will have an entire range with products priced from 5 to 25. Quite strategic.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:22   #69
BHPian

In india Fabia will sell without any hazels.Very few will look at the engine side.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:27   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Skoda is playing it clever i guess. starting it at 5. they are putting it close enough for luring the getz/swift buyers. When Big momma (VW) launches the jetta they may position it just outside of this starting at 6.5 to 10 so they will have an entire range with products priced from 5 to 25. Quite strategic.
people here are anlaysts man. but no jokes apart, that is actually how it is. they need to play clever, what with all the problems their existing customers have faced. smart move and an even smarter car.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:41   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
In india Fabia will sell without any hazels.Very few will look at the engine side.
whether it will or not, cant say. but it should. it really should.
Old 21st December 2007, 14:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Whats that nopes for ? I never said it was built cheaply or anything - I just said it is ok to drive. Its built like the Octy and feels like the Octy too.
i was so happy to get this kinda feeling in a hatch back. it feels like all positive of the Octi are there and no negative of the octi.
Old 21st December 2007, 14:09   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
i was so happy to get this kinda feeling in a hatch back. it feels like all positive of the Octi are there and no negative of the octi.
like the octi?
dont tell me the leg room is as less as the octi...
Old 21st December 2007, 15:21   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
true...even i was expecting 1.9 TDI motor. :( or atleast more powerfull petrol engine. like Skoda VRS
The 1.2 petrol and the 1.4 diesel is to get the 8% excise rebate.
Is this being given to the customer?
Old 21st December 2007, 15:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The 1.2 petrol and the 1.4 diesel is to get the 8% excise rebate.
Is this being given to the customer?
add to that a 1.4 petrol
the 1.4 petrol plant is very smooth, though the 1.4 pd is noisy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks