Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2007, 22:39   #91
BHPian

exaggeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
"Finaly Here" Seems to be something of an exageration!
Yes, that is definitely an exaggeration. I have to make my dad run to the dealership to find out if that is true.

The story is same as one week ago. We don't know any more new details than what we knew a week ago.

One thing for sure... person who started this thread got everyone talking.
Old 22nd December 2007, 04:14   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
We are discussing only about the hatch. What about the Fabia Sedan. When they price the hatch they have to leave little bit of room below 10 Lakh to introduce the sedan later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I dont think they will launch the sedan anytime soon.
The sedan hasnt even made its debut internationally so I think we can forget about it comming here anytime soon.
Old 22nd December 2007, 11:19   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmami View Post
One thing for sure... person who started this thread got everyone talking.
Different thread; same talk!

Hey, Whatever... that's what we're here for, talk about cars, so its no big deal
Old 22nd December 2007, 14:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

NB:Am not sure about the features so I cannot say anything on the pricing front but let me speak a few words about the car with my limited knowledge on the same.
  • 69 bhp for such a small car may not be that bad as some have pointed out.
  • 3 cylinder v/s 4 cylinders makes no difference to majority of buyers.
  • Being a PD , throttle response should be good and the power lag should be minimal hence the engine issss going to appease the mass.
  • I love german built to last feel and Skoda is one car that oozes with this quality. To understand my point clearly please check the rear door handrest of a year old civic and skoda octavia.
  • 7 lacs for the top end version is not bad coz if thats true you will be getting base version ()that will definitely be launched later on )for ~5.8 lacs
  • 1.4PD may lack a wee(for the mass) bit on power and smoothness but am sure the NVH charac inside cabin would be good.
  • Someone had quoted a very valid point ie., " Skoda has created a great brand image (mass)in india and am sure people will be willing to pay a bit more for that"
NB : I have listed out my points taking into account the price of top end version to be around 7 lacs.

It would be very nice if some on could put up a comparison of GEtz , Swift , and Fabia . Am replying on my phone so its not viable for me.

I think its time to add a pole predicting Fabia's future in India. Will it sell or not ?

Last edited by maxbhp : 22nd December 2007 at 14:57.
Old 22nd December 2007, 15:48   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
And 69 - 68 = 1 BHP. Thats the power advantage the Fabia has over the Fiesta.
Fiesta is not 68BHP its 68 PS and its more like 65.xx BHP
Old 22nd December 2007, 17:39   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Three cylinders feels kind of odd to me --- in the same way that I still have problems getting my head around seven beats in music: feels like I'm being short-changed!!!!

That's the view of a layman. Can someone explain what is wrong, if anything, with three cylinders?

I recall, many years back, a friend explaining to me that, with his 5-cylinder audi, the odd number of cylinders made for a smoother engine with less vibration.
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's the view of a layman. Can someone explain what is wrong, if anything, with three cylinders?
I think 3 cylinder engines have more vibration since the engine is not balanced.
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:30   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Three cylinders feels kind of odd to me --- in the same way that I still have problems getting my head around seven beats in music: feels like I'm being short-changed!!!!

I recall, many years back, a friend explaining to me that, with his 5-cylinder audi, the odd number of cylinders made for a smoother engine with less vibration.
A four-cycle engine fires all its cylinders every 720 degrees and the crankshaft makes two complete rotations. Now if we divide 720 by the number of cylinders we get to know how often power stroke occurs. For a four cylinder engine 720/4 = 180 degrees so a 4-cylinder engine gets a power stroke every 180 degrees. A power stroke can last no more than 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation, so the power strokes of a 4-cylinder engine are sequential, with no overlap. At the end of one cylinder's power stroke another cylinder fires.
In a 3-cylinder engine a power stroke occurs every 240 degrees, (720/3 = 240) but a power stroke cannot last longer than 180 degrees, this means that a 3-cylinder engine has 60 degrees of silence when no power stroke takes place.

Five cylinder engine is smoother than a 4 cylinder engine because the power stroke occurs every 144 degrees in 5 cylinder engine so the power strokes overlap and the engine runs smoothly.
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:51   #99
BANNED

no pics just same old how big engine how much features. another useless thread.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:37   #100
BHPian

We have been hearing the launch and starting of the booking for last six months. Hopefully the launch date is for real. Things should be clear after Auto Expo.
Old 22nd December 2007, 23:53   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks BUSA and kpzen. I feel even more 'short-changed' by the idea now.

But there's always the petrol engine
Old 23rd December 2007, 06:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
We have been hearing the launch and starting of the booking for last six months. Hopefully the launch date is for real. Things should be clear after Auto Expo.
eemm, another Getz kinda story?
Old 23rd December 2007, 08:30   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
A four-cycle engine fires all its cylinders every 720 degrees and the crankshaft makes two complete rotations. Now if we divide 720 by the number of cylinders we get to know how often power stroke occurs. For a four cylinder engine 720/4 = 180 degrees so a 4-cylinder engine gets a power stroke every 180 degrees. A power stroke can last no more than 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation, so the power strokes of a 4-cylinder engine are sequential, with no overlap. At the end of one cylinder's power stroke another cylinder fires.
In a 3-cylinder engine a power stroke occurs every 240 degrees, (720/3 = 240) but a power stroke cannot last longer than 180 degrees, this means that a 3-cylinder engine has 60 degrees of silence when no power stroke takes place.

Five cylinder engine is smoother than a 4 cylinder engine because the power stroke occurs every 144 degrees in 5 cylinder engine so the power strokes overlap and the engine runs smoothly.
Thanks KPZEN, this is the first time in 2 years that I got some meaningful tech explanation in lucid language at Team BHP. Majority of the arguments here end up in an ego trip without much technical information being conveyed. I too may have succummed to this ego trip in these 2 years.
Thanks once again.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:22   #104
BHPian

3 cylinders or 4 cylinders all depends on how the engine is sorted out. Kpzen's beautiful answer lucidly explains the funda behind all that vibrations.
Now lets put this is in perspective.
M800 is a 3 cyl
so is the original Daewoo Matiz.
Are'nt these cars smooth and silent?

I have seen the 3 cyl Indica engine on the Tata Ace that vibrates like hell.

So, given the german car's impeccable pedigree (golf lineage of course) it has to be well sorted out to live upto its lineage. SO one can trust the Skoda to be as quite as if not better than the m800 in NVH
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:37   #105
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful explanation Kevin Prasad.

Quote:
Now lets put this is in perspective.
M800 is a 3 cyl
so is the original Daewoo Matiz.
The above mentioned cars are petrol, wheras the Fabia is diesel. The Accent CRDi vibrates like hell and its made by detroil diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks