Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2007, 08:07   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Also keep in mind the exorbitant maintenance of the airbags and the replacement costs if it has to pop out in a false alarm situation. Yes, there has been instances which I know when the airbag popped out when some earlier Octys and Astras hit potholes at some good speeds. But for safety's sake, it is a small amount to pay.
Have to agree with that, with the kind of driving conditions we are used to here, I think that they should make atleast ABS and Airbags compulsary on all cars.

One thing I cant understand is why Skoda made ABS optional, Most other manufacturers make airbags optional but ABS is made available in the lower spec models.
Old 28th December 2007, 09:47   #227
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev up.. View Post
like the swift?
is that meant to incur a good laugh?
it does NOT look like a swift at all.
UGLY?
are you trying to tell me that these many people are busy discussing how ugly the fabia looks.
yeah you can laugh about it i guess. made me laugh when i saw it first too. and if you cant see the swift lines in it, i cant help you there. and everyones entitled to their opinions...so if i think it looks fugly, it does.
Old 28th December 2007, 10:20   #228
BHPian

@ sriramv.iyer: Just in case you choose this route, it may be prudent to have the Chennai dealer register your car in Bangalore, he would issue a temp registration to allow driving from Chennai to Bangalore and get it registered in Bangalore... not sure if Skoda has same dealers for Chennai and Bangalore - TAFE??? do you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I'd rather get my car in Chennai and change registration [by paying exorbidant tax in Bangalore than wait 1 year]
Old 28th December 2007, 11:37   #229
Senior - BHPian

Well the Windows Design do resemble that of Swift & Mini. Like I said before if the quoted prices are true then this car will sell well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Have to agree with that, with the kind of driving conditions we are used to here, I think that they should make atleast ABS and Airbags compulsary on all cars.

One thing I cant understand is why Skoda made ABS optional, Most other manufacturers make airbags optional but ABS is made available in the lower spec models.
May I ask which Car Manufacturer gives ABS as standard on a lower Spec Model ?
Old 28th December 2007, 12:19   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
none in the hatchback. . if am not wrong. i think that is present in the entry level luxury sedans. . .eg laura : abs is present in all varients.

@busa : yes i never denied the 3 pot is silent. but i always maintained the car is leaps and bounds ahead of any current car (read hatchback) being offered now
Old 28th December 2007, 12:36   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
but i always maintained the car is leaps and bounds ahead of any current car (read hatchback) being offered now
If the rumoured prices are correct then the price too is leaps & bounds ahead of any hatchback in our market (apart from the SR-V of course!).
Old 28th December 2007, 12:39   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
What I meant is that manufacturers offer only ABS on lower spec models and not Airbags.

For example you can get ABS on a Swift vxi and vdi but you can get airbags only on a Zxi.
Old 28th December 2007, 12:42   #233
Senior - BHPian

Well its optional on Vxi & LXi does not have it. Vdi is the higher end of Swift Diesel.

What I am trying to say is that ABS will never be available as standard on base model of any sub 10 lakh car(unless there is a rare exception)

But Yes I agree that Airbags are usually on higher end version than that of ABS equipped one. I believe the costs involved with airbags is the main reason.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th December 2007 at 12:43.
Old 28th December 2007, 12:58   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
If the rumoured prices are correct then the price too is leaps & bounds ahead of any hatchback in our market (apart from the SR-V of course!).
thats because in terms of features / safety / this car is leaps and bound ahead.
Old 28th December 2007, 13:03   #235
Senior - BHPian

Good for Skoda that the car has finally made it on the Indian shores. Considering the sponsored trips and other freebies that Indian auto mags have received, this car has and will be touted as the best thing to have happened in the Indian car market. Skoda will finally see a significant jump up in sales. This is important considering that Fabia is now seeing declining sales in Europe, where sales after increasing from 207924 in 2005 to 213515 in 2006 have declined in 2007. Fabia sales in Europe declined from 172197 in Jan-Sep 2006 to 153547 in Jan-Sep 2007. Declines were also observed for Octavia (laura in India) and Superb. However, Roomster sales increased.
Old 28th December 2007, 13:06   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post

Interesting. IMHO, it could be because Airbags save lives more than ABS. In other words, airbags save lives in many more situations than ABS.

Last edited by androdev : 28th December 2007 at 13:16.
Old 28th December 2007, 13:08   #237
Senior - BHPian

full Skoda Fabia Indian model brochure, now available for download:

http://www.fabiafeelspecial.com/skod...skodafabia.pdf
Old 28th December 2007, 13:14   #238
Senior - BHPian

Iraghava - If the prices seem to be correct then the car is indeed not much overpriced, with the features and build quality it offers its a fantastic car. Compare it with the SRV and all of a sudden the Fabia looks so VFM.

And spoke to Peter, the price of the box will be 32500 and Rs 33000 for the remap
Old 28th December 2007, 14:20   #239
Senior - BHPian

Look at this pic, cues of the Swift lies in the A-B-C Pillars IMO.

Old 28th December 2007, 14:28   #240
BHPian

I don't understand which Indian would put 5.5-7lakhs of his hard earned money into a hatchback. most buyers like to buy the costliest looking car within their budget. 5.5 upwards theres the aveo fiesta sx4 etc which not only look bigger but also look more striking.

car lovers and enthusiasts will lvoe the car for its technical aspects and features. but the normal man who buyes cars need to have the max show off appeal for his money. so that he can say yes iv bought x car. if it does not giv that value then it needs to be cheap on fuel service and more value for money. lets see how this new skoda fares in the indian scenario. even the exisiting skoda customers if their religion aint cars, they wish they owned a toyota or a honda instead. the older design of the fabia was good.

the new design is too sober for our premium market. on top of its and expensive hatch. with such features the mentainance costs would also be premium! nor does this car have the performance figures of the superhatch. besides luxury and refinement theres nothing else to it. in a market where most premium buyers look at selling their car in 2-3 years, theres little scope for people to appreciate the build quality and durability, unless they meet with an accident and the car proves its strength.

look at wht happened at the amazing palio 1.6! inspight of also having a powerful engine. look at the fusion and the srv. even the uva is having tough time. getz sales arent inspiring. these are good products with good intentions and concepts but when compared with whats the ebst you can buy for your limited money, then the high end hatch doesnt come in top slot. the rear legroom int he srv and uva are more. the engine power is more in the hyundais and the fiats. others look better. to make matters wose the side cues remind you of the much cheaper swift.

just the additional features are all secondary needs. i wouldnt like to spend for a car that from far may be mistaken for a cheaper car atleast that neither looks the best in its class nor performs like a hot hatch. may be the ride quality and build is excellent but howmany realy appreciate that out here. i think this product will have the same destiny the opel sail had few years ago. great product but wrong marketing mix for the wrong market.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th December 2007 at 19:54. Reason: formatting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks