Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:29   #361
BHPian

Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmami View Post
Are these prices quoted on the road or exclusive show room ?
These prices are ex-showroom Mumbai
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:25   #362
Senior - BHPian

NC i totally agree Indians wont car about the engine, no of valves etc, but for 8L i dont think the car is worth with a 3 pot engine with just 6 valves.

So my pricing guess was right, and sun roof is no use in our climate.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:32   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
3 pot engine with just 6 valves.
Only 6 valves.??.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:36   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Busa - Crappy or fantastic - diesel cars will be sold as they have the image of being very FE. And in India - say about 50000 people (well informed) know the difference between a CRDi and a non CRDi diesel engine - what about the rest who buy diesels ?
i second that nc. IF the car has show and less of 'go' then the car will sell.
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:13   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

If I do go for this car, I'm already thinking it will be petrol this time.

And I might, because I'm also thinking that one year might be a good time to pass on a Swift VDI, before it starts looking scruffy and while people are still hungry for the model.
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:19   #366
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Skoda has put up a updated brochure on their feelspecial website.

This time the quality of the brochure is bad and the file size is bigger for the same number of pages. I wonder how they managed to do it against the laws of physics. Very bad quality brochure considering they did it better the first time. :-(

Anyways:

The following are the high-lights:

1. Fabia is going to come in four different variants as opposed to three that we all know before.

a. Active (new variant)
b. Classic
c. Ambiente
d. Elegance

Active version is NOT going to have the following except for these everything else is the same as Classic:

i. Power windows
ii. Single CD/MP3 audio player with double size fascia
iii. Auxiliary audio input

Still no information on what the price of these variants is going to be.

Now you can see handle that you use to adjust the seat height.
Old 3rd January 2008, 01:16   #367
BHPian

cloing this thread

Hello Moderators,

Now that we have initial review on this car and the same is discussed at a different thread, I am suggesting this thread be closed.

The following is the thread where the same is being discussed.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-drive-7.html
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:18   #368
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
That explains the reason for the Active variant of Fabia by Skoda. May be they want to target some of those folks by keeping the price around the Swift.
Guys,

Does Skoda really really need to read T-BHP to realize 8L+ choti hatchback car wont sell?

Their choti car is as expensive as a fiesta, SX4, scorpio and Tata Safari. put in some more moolah and u can go for magnum or corolla.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:31   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Guys,

Does Skoda really really need to read T-BHP to realize 8L+ choti hatchback car wont sell?

Their choti car is as expensive as a fiesta, SX4, scorpio and Tata Safari. put in some more moolah and u can go for magnum or corolla.

Well either they REALLY have faith in thier product or a hidden ace up thier sleeve.

I doubt Skoda would be so foolish after being present in the Indian market for so long. This is one manufacturer that has from the start been very astute in its product launches, marketing efforts and even incorporating consumer feedback. I say lets wait and watch!

Elito
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:40   #370
BHPian

Just being too lazy to go through the brochure But is it that the Active variant will be available in 1.4 petrol/diesel?? or will it come only in 1.2ltr petrol option?

Last edited by dhaval : 3rd January 2008 at 17:43.
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:30   #371
BHPian

There are 2 explanations for the 8lakh pricing if true.

1. Skoda has let this premium pricing strategy thing get to its head, the Octavia was launched and succeeded in a different context and market. Now things are much more competitive and not only are Skoda's losing the premium sheen fast but are increasingly looking outdated. The value equation which Skoda is known for internationally is way off in India. Very soon the 13-15 lakhs and more they ask is going to be unsustainable because they don't deliver that value. To make matters worse the cost of ownerships is way too high with owners complaining more vocally now.

2. Skoda doesn' have much capacity and their dealerships are spoiled with obscene servicing charges, don't have the infrastructure or training to deal with high volume segment and they need time to clear this up so pricing high to keep demand low and manageable.
Old 3rd January 2008, 21:31   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Just being too lazy to go through the brochure But is it that the Active variant will be available in 1.4 petrol/diesel?? or will it come only in 1.2ltr petrol option?
There are only two engines : 1.4L Petrol and 1.4L Diesel.

There is no 1.2Ltr petrol option. I have read many reviews in Europe and I have not seen one review that praised the 1.2Ltr which could be the reason why they are not even trying that in India.
Old 3rd January 2008, 21:36   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How come they can act so fast by reading this thread?
Easy, What they did in this case is just they pulled some accessories and created a new variant. If they were to add or invent something new it would take sometime but pulling things off is easy.

If they make this too attractive by giving the bare metal for the taxis then I can see Skoda loosing the premium brand status. It is not a premium brand in the rest of the world and in fact it is a value for money car.

Last edited by skmami : 3rd January 2008 at 21:45.
Old 3rd January 2008, 22:06   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
1. Skoda has let this premium pricing strategy thing get to its head, the Octavia was launched and succeeded in a different context and market. Now things are much more competitive and not only are Skoda's losing the premium sheen fast but are increasingly looking outdated. The value equation which Skoda is known for internationally is way off in India. Very soon the 13-15 lakhs and more they ask is going to be unsustainable because they don't deliver that value. To make matters worse the cost of ownerships is way too high with owners complaining more vocally now
Agree with this one. There are an increasing number of cars targeting Skoda's market positions. The spurt of launches in 2008 might make things difficult for them with cars which offer better value potentially targeting their market position.

In my view, the Fabia faces two key challenges which have hindered many a good hatchback in India in the past:
- Price: the Ford Fusion and the Chevy Optra SRV were both good cars which, at least on the surface, offered more than the Fabia does but were done in by their premium pricing
- Maintenance/Ownership costs: These costs are not just financial (which are likely to be high in themselves) but also the headache of a thin service network. This is something which has continually hindered the Palio / Palio Stile from attaining its potential in the Indian market

On the face of it, the combination of a 8 lakh price tag and Skoda's service network seems enough to doom the Fabia. That said, as Elito11 pointed out, they have been quite succesful in India and might have an ace up their sleeve. Lets wait and watch!
Old 3rd January 2008, 22:46   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If they make this too attractive by giving the bare metal for the taxis then I can see Skoda loosing the premium brand status. It is not a premium brand in the rest of the world and in fact it is a value for money car.
I do hope you are joking about the Taxi comment,

Im sure taxi operators would look at the Swift as a cheaper car to operate or would rather buy a Fiesta which is a segment higher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks