Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2005, 16:54   #61
BHPian

People still buy Zen because they don't want to buy Alto (less power) or WagonR (odd shape) or Santro (tall boy).

Zen is a good car but bit dated now. I personally feel it is nice but seating position is too low.
Old 25th November 2005, 17:26   #62
Max
BHPian

i had zen for about 18 months but i liked wagon R more over my zen. Zen is not very stable on high speeds, it only feels safe upto 90kmph speed.
Old 25th November 2005, 17:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

MAX is right zen is not stable but after 100 - 110 that also is you have a power stearing.. Though Alto on the other hand is more stable. Also new zen looks better in my opinion..
Old 25th November 2005, 18:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

It seems since the time i started this thread, the Zen sales are going down and down and down... sorry Maruti
Old 25th November 2005, 23:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

hey Max

I also own stock zen....I never felt it is unstable at 90+kmph....I can assure you it will be more stable than a wagonr at such speeds..
Infact ask speedsatya who consistently does high speeds(XXXkph) in his zen....

KP
Old 25th November 2005, 23:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
hey Max

I also own stock zen....I never felt it is unstable at 90+kmph....I can assure you it will be more stable than a wagonr at such speeds..
Infact ask speedsatya who consistently does high speeds(XXXkph) in his zen....

KP
hmm...

I have driven wagonr over 100kmph... on straight line, it feels rock stable.. it feels firmly planted to the road... dont know who spread rumours about its instability at high speeds...
cant comment on zen though... never driven it at those speeds.. and frankly speaking, these small cars were never meant to be driven like that... the debate here was about how outdated the Zen really is in comparison to its competetion... outdated in Space, safety, quality ... but performance..

Last edited by DCEite : 25th November 2005 at 23:13.
Old 25th November 2005, 23:15   #67
BHPian

I have driven a stock wagonr vxi at 120 kmph in light rain on the tirupathi - kalahasti road. It is capable of a bit more than that. Never felt it as unstable.
There were five people on board, perhaps due to the weight .

Last edited by Conan : 25th November 2005 at 23:22.
Old 26th November 2005, 15:22   #68
Max
BHPian

I driven my friends WagonR and it was very stable even at 120kmph speeds but in zen it feels like something is trying to lift car up at speeds more then 90+kmph (at least mine use to, which was 1996 model and was 6 years old at the time, new zen must been improved). Hence i used to feel unsafe in it. One time I also had accident in my zen on sharp curve while cruising on 90kmph speed at thane's last flyover. I agree that flyover is has very steep curve and its not safe to drive more then 60kmph on it but again I drive my new Honda city on 90kmph on same flyover but it feels very safe.
Old 26th November 2005, 21:10   #69
Senior - BHPian

Check this out

Hi guys,

Perhaps this is one of the reasons...
Check out this link http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2577/article.html.

i think this is the Japanese version of our very own Zen called Suzuki Cervo. 660cc and turbocharged..but 1990 genre;-)....ask Maruti where they got the idea for those "Carbon and Steel" limited editions!!

..sorry...but does anyone have any idea on the site. Looks like it has a lot of cool technical info on it.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 26th November 2005, 21:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I driven my friends WagonR and it was very stable even at 120kmph speeds but in zen it feels like something is trying to lift car up at speeds more then 90+kmph (at least mine use to, which was 1996 model and was 6 years old at the time, new zen must been improved). Hence i used to feel unsafe in it.
I beg to differ on this. The Wagon R cannot possibly be more confidence inspiring than a Zen. I still remember how well our 95' Carb Zen used to handle. Our present 02' Wagon R is stable at 120kmph (provided you're travelling in a straight line).

Quote:
One time I also had accident in my zen on sharp curve while cruising on 90kmph speed at thane's last flyover. I agree that flyover is has very steep curve and its not safe to drive more then 60kmph on it but again I drive my new Honda city on 90kmph on same flyover but it feels very safe.
Obviously, if you're gonna compare a 96' Zen to a 03'/04' NHC, you'll find a diff. When I test drove the NHC, it made me skip a heart beat, on a turn at 120kmph......where the Vtec corners at 140kmph, without a complain.

Anybody reading this, might conclude that the NHC is a horrible handler (which is true to a certain extent) but, in reality, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Anyway, getting back to the topic. I've always felt that the Zen is more stable at speeds beyond 120kmph than the Wagon R.

Shan2nu
Old 26th November 2005, 22:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with Shan2nu......
The stability of a car is not about doing high speeds in a straight line....its about how you feel while manouvering the car at those speeds....Clearly zen with lower ride hieght than a wagonr holds an advantage..It might be possible you feel good in a wagonr at 120kph...
zen unstable at 90+kph. ....very few out here will agree with you...
City(old or new) is no comparison to zen.....they belong to different class....!!!

KP
Old 27th November 2005, 00:40   #72
Max
BHPian

guys, I am not comparing NHC to Zen but yes its true, my brother also have Zen and it doesn't feel safe while driving this little car above 100+ kmph speeds. Where as I have driven santro and wagonR at 120+ and it felt safe. May be its just me :(
Old 27th November 2005, 01:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
guys, I am not comparing NHC to Zen but yes its true, my brother also have Zen and it doesn't feel safe while driving this little car above 100+ kmph speeds. Where as I have driven santro and wagonR at 120+ and it felt safe. May be its just me :(
YES its just U. but jokes apart d zen is a vehile which just about does pretty much alll the things decently. thts y it SELLS so much. ur dad can drive it and you can also drive the same without u feeling 'old'.
Old 27th November 2005, 11:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Hmm u found santro more stable than a zen at 100+ speeds? I have always felt it the other way round. We used to have a santro and i never could muster the courage to push it beyond 90! Whereas in zen (98 model) i do 120+ quite easily, comfortably and consistently.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 27th November 2005, 12:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Well, i dont know about Zen or Santro, but anyone having doubts about WagonR's stability, i can tell you as long as in a straight line, it does feel Stable. (120kmph+)

Most Viewed