Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2007, 23:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yes they have stopped selling regular petrol. Had been to the shell outlet today after getting my car serviced.
My car manual says not to use any premium fuel. I had been using Shell normal with System G additive since day one. Now I have to find a new pump.

- Jag
Old 29th December 2007, 23:10   #17
BHPian

Shell still provides Normal Petrol here in Hyderabad. Checked the one near IDA, Uppal and filled in 5.12L of 91OCT Normal U/L Petrol in my Xeta for same price of Rs 250. I think it might probably be only limited to few cities as none informed us of this here too.
Old 31st December 2007, 10:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

I have been filling my car with Shell normal petrol right from the time i bought my car, and was very happy with it. Even when they increased the price, i still chose to continue with them. If they decide that only shell premium will be on sale henceforth, then looks like i would need to find a new pump.

Bye-bye Shell.
Old 31st December 2007, 11:09   #19
BHPian

Thought of sharing my experience here...
Private companies always had a hard time selling fuel and making money solely on it.

For example in Dubai all the petrol companies are selling fuel at loss due to the govt rule that they can sell fuel beyond the price set by them.

Even the govt org Adnoc sells fuel at loss but not much compared to the private firms in dubai coz these pvt firms buy fuel from Adnoc.

But how do these pvt firms survive?
Thats why they have convenience stores, cars washes, lube change, tire repair shops, quick maintenance centers etc...
Also the petro cards... they make money on those....
Over here these stuff make up for the money they lose...

Funny thing is, the pvt firms cant even stop their business even if they want to...

Also recently due to this factor the pvt firms stop accepting credit and debit cards in the stations...
Old 31st December 2007, 14:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
Thought of sharing my experience here...
Private companies always had a hard time selling fuel and making money solely on it.

For example in Dubai all the petrol companies are selling fuel at loss due to the govt rule that they can sell fuel beyond the price set by them.

Even the govt org Adnoc sells fuel at loss but not much compared to the private firms in dubai coz these pvt firms buy fuel from Adnoc.

But how do these pvt firms survive?
Thats why they have convenience stores, cars washes, lube change, tire repair shops, quick maintenance centers etc...
Also the petro cards... they make money on those....
Over here these stuff make up for the money they lose...

Funny thing is, the pvt firms cant even stop their business even if they want to...

Also recently due to this factor the pvt firms stop accepting credit and debit cards in the stations...
Hmmm, Shell in India (at least in karnataka and TN) doesn't have these.
Old 31st December 2007, 15:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
One more Private company gone the reliance way.. Reliance sells their diesel at Rs.5 above market price.. Dont know how will they survive. And now Shell... There are no Shell outlets in MUmbai so nothing to get used to and then change.
I thought Shell had on outlet in Bandra
Old 31st December 2007, 17:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Whats so wrong with filling Shell premium? its just regular petrol with some cleaning additives as far as i know, just like IOC premium.
Old 31st December 2007, 17:51   #23
BHPian

I have always used Shell premium on my Bike for the past 2 years and started using the same on my new car for the last 2 topups. I am not very upset by this move by Shell. I would equate it to having Coffee in a stand in type of hotel and in CCD or Barista. They offer an assured quality product for a premium and people who want quality and do not mind paying the premium pay for it.

I guess the strategic location of Reliance/Shell petrol outlets are a key to their survival..

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 31st December 2007, 18:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post

They have one somewhere in the Navi Mumbai area, don't think they have anything in the main city.

On the pricing by the Government, it is a misunderstanding that fuel in India is subsidised. Back when oil was $60 a barrel, the refinery gate price of petrol and diesel was 18-20/lts (refinery prices for both are quite similar). On top of that was an excise duty, VAT/Sales Tax as well as certain city specific taxes (for e.g. the 5% entry tax charged in Bangalore). It was the taxes that would cause the oil companies to sell as a loss. Even after subsidising the loss, the Government would make a substantial amount of surplus. I'm not sure how the pricing is running with the $100/barrel international oil price and the retail price cuts from earlier this year, but it seems unlikely that the Government would be making a loss on selling us petrol.
Old 31st December 2007, 20:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

@bensb - You can try the HP outlet, MATS fuel park , near Cosmos mall. The staff are courteous and I believe the fuel quality is good too.
Old 31st December 2007, 22:07   #26
BHPian

The guys at Shell outlet at Hosur Road also told me that they stopped normal petrol. Premium costs about 55.50 per liter. Not sure if my Santro can digest it...
Old 1st January 2008, 00:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
You can find all the Shell locations in this link

Shell in India - Shell Station Locator
Old 1st January 2008, 09:23   #28
BHPian

I don't think the above link from their website has latest information on its fuel station locations as they miss out atleast 2 more filling stations of theirs here in Hyderabad.
Old 1st January 2008, 22:01   #29
BHPian

Just FYI - I started this poll http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-who-else.html - IOC is on top until now.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:38   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@bensb - You can try the HP outlet, MATS fuel park , near Cosmos mall. The staff are courteous and I believe the fuel quality is good too.
Thanks for the tip, kuttapai. On a pilot basis, decided to fill my bike from this HP outlet. They seem to have taken a few cues from the way Shell functions. The guy greets you with a hurried namaste, then sets the meter as per the requirement, and then takes his hands off the dispenser.
Good.

Meanwhile, another guy who is responsible for cash collection wipes the area around the fuel tank inlet with a rag. Looks like Shell's loss is now their gain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks