Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2007, 08:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell Normal Petrol to be stopped

When I'd been to my normal tankup of Shell regular Petrol yday, I was told by the attendant that from 28-12-07, Shell will no longer sell normal petrol and was given a flyer to that effect. Shell will also not sell not sell normal diesel from that date.

The flyer says that this decision is due to subsidies being made available only to PSUs and not to private oil companies by the govt. This had resulted in an uncompetitive financial situation for Shell when selling the regular stuff.

So once again, from 28-12-07:

1. Regular petrol and regular diesel will be stopped by Shell
2. Only premium petrol and premium diesel will be available thereon.

I was lucky to have gotten my regular petrol when I did.
Old 26th December 2007, 08:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

what's the price of the premium petrol ? and what's the octane rating ? 91 I assume....
Old 26th December 2007, 09:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikhil, the price was increased recently : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ow-rs-2-a.html

Shell doesnt refine itself in India anyway- they were only buying from HP and others and rebranding it. So, after Reliance keeping their price high, it's now Shell's turn to do something from their side.
Old 26th December 2007, 10:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

aye I just posted this in vidyuth's thread. Yes what maggie said is true, they are gonna stop selling normal fuel from the 28th of this month.
Old 26th December 2007, 10:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Shell doesnt refine itself in India anyway- they were only buying from HP and others and rebranding it.
Interesting. I didnt know that.

I know they have stopped selling normal diesel inside city limits long time ago - I thought it was done to avoid the trucks queuing up and congesting the whole place.

I go to shell primarily because of their "integrated billing" which is tamper proof. I hope the fuel is also of good quality. I haven't filled any other brand's fuel ever since Shell started in B'lore.
Old 26th December 2007, 10:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

They have already stopped selling of normal diesel. I asked last week in 3 shell bunks in Bangalore. The cost of premium diesel is Rs.2 more than normal diesel(Rs.37.25 i guess).
Old 26th December 2007, 10:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

One more Private company gone the reliance way.. Reliance sells their diesel at Rs.5 above market price.. Dont know how will they survive. And now Shell... There are no Shell outlets in MUmbai so nothing to get used to and then change.
Old 26th December 2007, 13:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
One more Private company gone the reliance way.. Reliance sells their diesel at Rs.5 above market price.. Dont know how will they survive. And now Shell... There are no Shell outlets in MUmbai so nothing to get used to and then change.
As a consumer, I agree with you. but on the other hand, how will these companies survive by pricing the fuels so low ? they dont get the subsidies like IOC, BPCL, HPCL, etc.... These PSU companies rely on the government and our taxes to make sure they dont die. The private companies cant.

So, they increase the price of the fuel hoping that some of us are mature enough to know that the quality of fuel supplied is better and will pay extra for that extra quality. It is just like the products in other segments and areas.

Why go for a ZXi model of a Swift ?? why pay more ? It is still a Swift afterall. The same shape, the same engine, everything. Only thing is, you get airbags, ABS and other goodies.

People have a difficult timing paying for something unless they can see it. You cant SEE the difference between Shell Premium and other company's normal petrol, but you might have experienced it and if it makes sense to you, and you are able to afford it, you will still go to Shell.
Old 26th December 2007, 13:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad. I was a big fan of shell normal petrol on which my car was running since day 1. I used to get around 1km/l or so more mileage on shell, probably because it was pure unlike unscrupulous BP/HP/IOC bunks.

I never found an FE difference between normal and premium petrol so never bothered.
Old 26th December 2007, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ohh, This change in price will affect me a lot...I am a big fan of Shell Normal and never filled any other petrol in my car whenever I filled in bangalore...

Hope Shell Super does good to my car's engine.

Abhi
Old 26th December 2007, 17:43   #11
BHPian

I filled my tank on Sunday night with shell normal & they dint inform me.

Anyway its not like they will be charging more for a sub-standard product...

They will only be selling premium petrol, with additives, which are supposedly good for the vehicle.

It shall be expensive only if you are very particular about getting fuel without any additives.
Old 26th December 2007, 18:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Selling premium petrol wont do much harm but premium diesel is not at all advisable in any of the diesel cars in our country. They smoke and how!
Old 26th December 2007, 18:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

That's bad news. I have always filled from Shell and I believe premium fuels are no good for cars which don't require premium fuels. Guess, I have to find an alternate petrol pump.
Old 26th December 2007, 18:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
That's bad news. I have always filled from Shell and I believe premium fuels are no good for cars which don't require premium fuels. Guess, I have to find an alternate petrol pump.
I second this approach. I filled up my car today, and the guy at Shell never told me about this impending doom.
Old 26th December 2007, 19:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

I used shell Normal and Super Petrol what I noticed is I always get 1 extra km with Shell Super Petrol and also I have confirmed from officials Shell Normal and Super both are 91 octane fuels so I feel for cars launched from last 3 years can perform better with Super Petrol.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed