Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2008, 23:46   #31

Hi,

You say you have been using Shell normal with system G. You can use shell super petrol with using any additive. I also had the same confusion and i checked with them.

Now, my car is perfect. With extra kilometer.Try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yes they have stopped selling regular petrol. Had been to the shell outlet today after getting my car serviced.
My car manual says not to use any premium fuel. I had been using Shell normal with System G additive since day one. Now I have to find a new pump.

- Jag
Old 6th January 2008, 00:21   #32
dot
Senior - BHPian

Today I want all the way to Mulshi Rd (26 kms from my home) in Pune just to get Shell petrol; they were selling both. It just happened that I took premium to test out any differences in the car performance. Lets see how that goes. Only thing to note that price of premium in that pump is same as regular inside Pune city. The way I look at it is even if I have to shell off (no pun intended) Rs2 extra, I will still go for better fuel. I dont drive more than 500kms per month, so this extra price is doesnt cause too much dent. Moreover Ikon manual says that the car needs 88 octane which is one more unit than our regular petrol.
Old 6th January 2008, 22:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Today i filled Shell Premium for my Innova, guys at Shell bunk told me governement is not giving benefit on Shell Normal Fuels so they had to discontinue the same since it was not profitable.

What I feel is Shell Premium is much better than other Fuels. Shell Premium come with 91 octane with additives so its just normal + additive.

I noticed IOC comes next to Shell but with Premium Shell my vehicle consistantly giving better FE.

In future i will stick to Shell and IOC.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 6th January 2008, 22:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

With the prices that may go up during 1st wk of feb, the shell may also increase their premium fuel charges just to be unique in the market.
Old 6th January 2008, 22:37   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

What I feel is Shell Premium is much better than other Fuels. Shell Premium come with 91 octane with additives so its just normal + additive.
Euro III petrol must be 91ON minimum. So all petrol in Pune is 91ON or more. Euro II was 88ON. IOC premium is 93ON (91ON and 93ON may be the same within tolerances). So differences must be for other reasons. I myself have only used premium ever since it became available. Incidentally, the premium pricing is almost the same as regular + System G!
Old 6th January 2008, 23:12   #36
BHPian

We in Hyderabad are still lucky to have Shell Normal available. BTW these guys and gals at Shell Fuel Stations here don't have a clue about the Shell Normal stopped at Bangalore. When i told them, they were Also they gave a hint that if such a thing was in practice it would be about 2 to 3 weeks or maximum only for a month or so if it was due to financial issues.
Old 7th January 2008, 00:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

I filled Extra Diesel today,, could not digest the news and filled only Rs 500 rather than a full tank..

Can you guys tell me whether the extra diesel (premium diesel) is any better than the normal one!! I was always in impression that the normal diesel would be a better choice for my PalioD and hence never went for any premium fuel, nor a premium petrol for my Bullet.

So, if these premium fules from Shell are not better than IOC normal fuel,, I'll have to change my route from Hosur Rd Shell to Koramangala IOC which is always been another option for me...
Old 7th January 2008, 09:54   #38
BHPian

I always used Shell (regular) ever since they opened here in Bangalore. Now with only Shell Premium being made available, i am confused whether to continue with Shell or switch over to another pump. My confusion is mainly due to the following questions:

1. What is the difference between shell regular and shell premium fuels? In terms of octane rating and others?
2. Which is the recommended fuel - octane rating - for my car (SX4)?
3. When i travel out-of-town, Shell premium may not be available. So, is there any impact if I occasionally mix regular fuel with shell premium?

Please let me know if you are aware. Thanks.
Old 7th January 2008, 11:11   #39
BHPian

Indian Oil to stop normal Petrol

Just went to an Indian Oil petrol pump and all they had was the 'xtra premium' petrol, when i asked the attendant, he said that indian oil is going to stop normal petrol and its going to be 'xtra premium' petrol hereafter and that change is being effected slowly across all pumps
Old 7th January 2008, 11:25   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post

1. What is the difference between shell regular and shell premium fuels? In terms of octane rating and others?
2. Which is the recommended fuel - octane rating - for my car (SX4)?
3. When i travel out-of-town, Shell premium may not be available. So, is there any impact if I occasionally mix regular fuel with shell premium?

1. They have extra additives.
2. I think the current standard is 88 RON. If your car hasnt exhibited any knocking while running on normal petrol you dont have to worry.
3. Reliance.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:05   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Just went to an Indian Oil petrol pump and all they had was the 'xtra premium' petrol, when i asked the attendant, he said that indian oil is going to stop normal petrol and its going to be 'xtra premium' petrol hereafter and that change is being effected slowly across all pumps
I dont think thats going to happen. For all one knows, it could be the normal petrol which is sold as 'premium'.

Isnt this like unofficially hiking the petrol prices?
Old 7th January 2008, 12:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
2. I think the current standard is 88 RON.
If you are in a city with BS III standards, it would be 91RON for both Shell Normal and Shell Premium. Should be usually same with other fuel stations as well.

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 7th January 2008 at 12:10.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:15   #43
BHPian

On 30th I went to a shell pump and was surprised to see "No stock" on shell super! I was wondering how contrary it was to their claims to stop selling normal petrol. But the sales girl clarified saying only shell super is available but it is distributed through the "shell regular" petrol nozzle! I said then you must be operating it out of the "super"s nozzle. Nuts!
Old 7th January 2008, 12:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly09 View Post
Hi,

You say you have been using Shell normal with system G. You can use shell super petrol with using any additive. I also had the same confusion and i checked with them.

Now, my car is perfect. With extra kilometer.Try that.
No, Shell Super may be having additives that may not do good to your car's engine. Ford manual strongly recommends 91 ocatane petrol with System G. The additives in System G may not be the same as those in Shell Super.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:49   #45
PVS
BHPian

Noticed a couple of Essar Fuel pumps in Hyderabad outskirts - on the Jeedimetla - Narsapur highway, after Gandi Maisamma junction, to be precise. Also spotted Essar Fuel bunk on the Nuzvid road, off NH 5 near Vijayawada.

Anyone here used Essar's fuel? If yes, can you provide feedback on Essar's fuel quality, cost etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks