Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 17:20   #16
BHPian

Even in the US , these big SUVs are classified as Light Trucks. Thats how they buck the Fuel economy norms set by the Givt of US that are applicable to passenger cars
Old 27th December 2007, 17:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

They always have these adverts in auto mags. A picture of their American model with things like "every 7th car in the world is a chevy" or something like that to trumpet their achievements.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:55   #18
BHPian

I for one dont think it is a bad advertisement.

An ad has to get noticed, and it has - we're talking about it. Also, there are two types of people in India - one - who've heard about Chevy cars like the Impala and others in the movies, and others, the newer "Amby/Fiat" generation and beyond, who've never experienced Chevy cars. For the second sect, i think it is an excellent example of telling them that Chevy is an old brand, with some "significant" achievements. Maybe it's not working for us and Chevy.

Superavi
Old 27th December 2007, 20:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Even in the US , these big SUVs are classified as Light Trucks. Thats how they buck the Fuel economy norms set by the Givt of US that are applicable to passenger cars
True... they are classified as Trucks in the U.S and do have horrible gas mileage and these run on Petrol !! They do have an option of an engine using E85, but neither would be viable for India.

On the other hand, ads like this are a bit misleading given that GM is just selling Daewoo badged cars here in India and not really anything in the Chevy lineage.
Old 28th December 2007, 09:14   #20

Well - all are right - Tahoe really is a Truck even in the US, and GM has a penchant for advertising their classy cars not available in India, and misleading people into calling their help line numbers. In fact if you see the advert - it clearly says call this number for a test drive - it however does not say test drive which vehicle!!!
I called in to their number seeing the ad for their new hybrid car called Sequel (hope I am spelling this right - it is from memory) in the Economic times.
Rajesh
Old 28th December 2007, 09:20   #21
BHPian

I think GM has launched the new Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, which apparently has same mileage as a Toyota Camry Hybrid. It would be nice if they import this to India. Wonder how much it would cost.
Old 28th December 2007, 10:36   #22
BHPian

Sir, this might be off topic, but this whole concept of hybrid does not do much as the manufacture of these batteries that are used in these cars also cause a lot of pollution. So instead of Co2 pollution we are causing heavy metal pollution.

The ideal scenareo atleast in the US would be to use bio fuel , reduce the speed limits by 5 mph and make cars with less HP and more torque for better FE.
Old 28th December 2007, 12:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
The ideal scenareo atleast in the US would be to use bio fuel , reduce the speed limits by 5 mph and make cars with less HP and more torque for better FE.
Like you said Ideal and may I add theoretically. Speed Limits in most states of the US are already piddly so reducing them any more would be daft & would hardly serve any purpose apart from filling the Law Enforcement's coffers. There are better ways of reducing pollution & dependence on fossil fuels then taking these steps.
Old 28th December 2007, 21:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Tahoe is one huge SUV. With 320bhp & a FE of 14mpg,its not the best in its class. Often refered to as the civilized version of a Hummer.
Old 28th December 2007, 22:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKo View Post
Todays Economic Times (Bangalore Edition) carried a Chevrolet Ad with the pic of Tahoe on it with the GM helpline number for a test drive. On calling, the guy at the other end has "NO" clue what Tahoe is.

On prodding he said he will ask some to call me back. Does any of the fellow BHPians have any clue on this ???

Publication: Economic Times Bangalore; Date:2007 Dec 26; Section:Finance; Page Number 11

its really funny you actually fell for it
but let me admit i thought so too long back when they posted a pic of chevy malibu in the same way but on close inspection realised it was just to remind people that GM also manufactures cars in developed countries in case they have forgotten

but they have posted many such cars including chey HHR, chevy camaro etc etc
and all are printed in the same fashion
Old 28th December 2007, 23:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Chevy plans to launch the Hummer, more info here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...r-h3-pics.html

Also they even send greeting cards with other cars like Volt and all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks