Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 18:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
The i10 is good, but nothing too good apart from the interiors. That too at a price.

IMO, the SX4 should have been awarded the COTY 2008. It is fantastic value.
These awards are hardly ever fair!! COTY 2007 was a joke - The Aveo-Uva... whoever's heard of that car since? At least the i10 is a much better package than the uva... the interiors are clutter-breaking for the segment and the exteriors are fresh. If only the engine was also upgraded, I would've agreed wholeheartedly with the BS guys.
Old 29th December 2007, 18:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

These from the people who gave UVA the award last year. How many cars were launched in 2007 that could give i10 (the new Santro) competition. Perhaps its only real competition was SX4.

i10 is definitely better looking except for that `Big Ethel' smile on the front and the H badge which now seems like a copy of the Toyota style. I am also keen on a small car but so far even 2-3 months reports of i10 on reliability are absent.
Old 29th December 2007, 19:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
Totally agree with you.
I too agree with you, I don't think i10 is a trend setter, but SX4 truely is
Old 30th December 2007, 04:25   #19
BHPian

COTW 2008 for a car which was originally designed in 2004 or 2005 and then did some cosmetic surgery and an engine transplant . Hyundai i10 is nothng but a facelifted KIA PICANTO....
can anyone identify the car in this link
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=217586
Old 30th December 2007, 05:34   #20

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i think BSM has gone bonkers...i dont think the i10 deserves the award.
Old 30th December 2007, 08:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
COTW 2008 for a car which was originally designed in 2004 or 2005 and then did some cosmetic surgery and an engine transplant . Hyundai i10 is nothng but a facelifted KIA PICANTO....
can anyone identify the car in this link
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=217586
The only similarity is the kink in the rear, which makes you think that both are the same. Kia picanto was based on the Santro/Atos.
Old 30th December 2007, 09:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

So the SX4 does not win huh.. What does that tell you??
Old 30th December 2007, 11:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
So the SX4 does not win huh.. What does that tell you??
Nothing much, usually BS Motoring is known to give the cheapest car the award for being the car of the year. Last year they gave it to a very undeserving car : The Chevrolet UVA
Old 30th December 2007, 13:36   #24
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think its the interiors. Its a very good step-up from the competition in the segment. However, the rest of the package is still 'old wine in new bottle'.
It is not just the interiors. Here is an excellent and balanced review of the Hyundai i10:

The Hindu : Metro Plus Bangalore / Wheels : Hyundai’s new kid on the block

Quote:
Design and Engineering:

It is when you look under the skin that you realise the new i10 is way ahead of the Santro. The front and rear suspension has been completely revamped and the wheel stroke increased to improve ride and handling.
[...]

Interiors:

Though the seating position on the i10 isn’t as lofty as the Santro, its ergonomics are far better. Visibility from the driver’s seat is great and the pedals that were placed awkwardly on the Santro are not present on the i10. In addition, the bulkhead has been pushed forward to liberate significantly more legroom. A centre console-mounted gear lever is also present on the i10 – a first for a car in this segment. The steering wheel is adjustable but not the headrests.
The legroom for the rear passengers is better than that on the Santro, though there isn’t as much sense of space owing to the lowered roofline.
The quality of the i10’s interiors is better than any other car in this class.
[...]

Engine and performance:

The iRDE engine that is used in the i10 is an updated version of the Epsilon engine that first powered the Santro. This engine develops 66bhp of power and 10.1kgm of torque. However, despite the fact that this motor does have more grunt than Santro’s, the performance gain isn’t of a very high degree owing to the car’s increased weight.
In fact, in terms of power-to-weight ratio, the Santro is significantly better than the i10 and this has a telling effect on acceleration times. The i10 is slower to 100kph and in-gear acceleration is not as good either.
However, the gearing has been tweaked to improve drivability; the good thing is during normal driving, you can’t really feel any performance deficit.
The ability to pull in third gear at low speeds, the Santro strength many drivers have appreciated, is still there and the engine pulls smartly from as little as 1500rpm.
[...]

Fuel economy:

Given its weight, the i10 delivers a decent 12kpl in the city and 16.3kpl on the highway.
Performance freaks will be a little disappointed with the i10 but as far as I am concerned the car has enough performance for Indian roads. (top speed: 149 kmph, 0-100 kmph -- 15.5 secs). 0-100 drag races on empty straight stretches do not happen under normal conditions. Instead you have to weave your car through heavy traffic on narrow roads most of the time, whether in cities or highways. The i10 retains the Santro strengths in this respect and will be hard to beat under these conditions.

The i10 deserves the car of the year award because it is optimized superbly for Indian road conditions, city and highway. Personally I am not interested in ABS and airbags but most Indian buyers will appreciate these features in a car of this segment.
Old 30th December 2007, 14:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Nothing much, usually BS Motoring is known to give the cheapest car the award for being the car of the year. Last year they gave it to a very undeserving car : The Chevrolet UVA
Yeah Exactly my view.. ON the basis of last year's winner, can we predict the i10 will be on its way out next year end?
Old 30th December 2007, 15:33   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
It is not just the interiors. Here is an excellent and balanced review of the Hyundai i10:
What i said is based on my experience with the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The i10 retains the Santro strengths in this respect and will be hard to beat under these conditions.
No. I feel the Santro engine is much more responsive compared to the i10 engine. i10 felt like my WagonR, and that it not much of a good thing.

Santro had a nice low-end which made it good for the city.

However, as i said i10 interiors and packaging are well ahead of the competition. A fresh change to the small car segment.
Old 30th December 2007, 16:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

@rks 5J, that hindu review is done by an Autocar India guy called Shapur Kotwal.
ACI is linked with a lot of magazines and newspapers.
Old 30th December 2007, 16:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
What new level? Please explain.
bhaia i was mentioning about the interior quality as compared to the current crop of small cars.
But i still think that the SX4 deserved it too .
Old 30th December 2007, 17:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
No. I feel the Santro engine is much more responsive compared to the i10 engine. i10 felt like my WagonR, and that it not much of a good thing.

Santro had a nice low-end which made it good for the city.

The i10 is definitely not as peppy as the Santro. But, I wouldn't compare it with the WagonR. For one, I found it to be much more refined than the WagonR. In fact, that's the first thing that struck me when I TD the i10. The NVH levels are also very good. A really nice and modern small car. Miles ahead of the competition, I feel.
Old 30th December 2007, 22:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The only similarity is the kink in the rear, which makes you think that both are the same. Kia picanto was based on the Santro/Atos.
Sorry pal
check this out
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-specia...706&EL=3225775 (Go to Hyundai i10, which clearly tells
"updated version of Kia's value-for-money Picanto")

Most Viewed