Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 10:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Number of previous owners ?

Dear Common

This practice was started by Mahindra First Choice.
In fact, as one of their sales pitch, they mention that they donot deal in even second owner cars.

It again boils down to the perception that more the no. of users, greater are the chances of abuse.

Since it is difficult to ascertain the extent of internal damage, major companies(organised ones) refrain to extend any warranty.

You have correctly mentioned that True Value is not doing was was intended but then it is only following an evolutionary trend and playing it safe.
Old 24th September 2014, 11:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Maruti having this un-touch-ability system is creating a scenario ,so that, they can sell new cars rather than improving old car sales. Truevalue is not doing what it was intend to do ,after all.
In the end Maruti Truevalue is there to do a business and make some profit out of it. The untouchability scenario is in response to the market perception. I will definitely stay away from a car with more than 2 previous owners. Even with all service records there may be some issue with the car which is forcing the owners to sell the car again and again.

To give an example, my Alto K10 had vibration issues at speeds greater than 80kmph from day one of the purchase. I took it to MASS a number of times for rectification but they failed to do so. However, the service record mentioned 'check-up' or 'Rung Repair' in the service slip each time the car went there. If this was a lemon and I would have sold at Truevalue, no one would know the actual issue. The subsequent owner would have disposed the car again for the same reason without any mention of cause in the service records. (The cause of vibration were two faulty JK tyres which was dignosed by a boy at tyre shop and the tyres were replaced under warranty)
Old 24th September 2014, 11:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
third owner and they can't sell it with warranty
In my understanding warranty can be transferred during ownership transfer and it is mentioned in their warranty policy. I don't remember reading any limitations regarding max number of ownership transfer.

It is True Value's standard dialogue to create more room for negotiation.
Old 24th September 2014, 12:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up an old thread.This is in connection with Maruti True value.
Mods,please add it to the right section if this is not the right place.
One of my friend is the third owner of a 2010 Swift,which had run only 45,000 Km..
I would suggest checking with another dealer.

Most of the the True Value outlets in Bangalore are for selling off the exchanged cars. Since cars which have more than two owners doesn't get much takers in the market, True Value doesn't encourage buying one, unless you are buying a new one from them (same dealer).

Since your friend is looking for a new car from Maruti, this in fact gives you an edge.

I would suggest the following plan of action:
  • Approach a new dealer and request a quote for the new car your friend is interested in
  • Casually ask about discounts which will invariably have an "exchange" bonus". Take that thread and
  • Request for a best quote for your current car. Haggle to death and get the best deal.
All the best!

P.S.: A friend of mine and I had a tough time getting the best for his car, for which he was the second owner. The above are from that experience.

Last edited by vinjosep : 24th September 2014 at 12:15.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 13:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
warranty can be transferred during ownership transfer
Snap from owners manual

Number of previous owners ?-warranty.jpg
Old 15th January 2016, 01:14   #21
BHPian

Hi,

Have a '99 Zen, 2nd owner had it in 2001 & My boss has been the 3rd owner since 2004.
I have been using the car since 2012. Thanks to my boss, I never got the time to transfer the ownership in my name (leave requests were rejected as a waste of time!)

I am not worried about the resale value if I become the 4th owner, but worried if I will ever be able to resell at all?
I just dont know if there is a market for 4th owner car. Please guide me.

The Car's working just fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks