Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:49   #16
BHPian

Corolla definately needs to be spruced up if they want make a dent in the sales of Civic. Even though they came into the market much before Civic, it really hasn't set the sales charts on fire. Lets hope they get the latest model in at least this time around.

There is no competition for Innova, in the sense there is no other mini-van with the comfort features for a family like the Innova. So a facelift of the Innova is not really a priority for Toyota right now.

Maybe if Mahindra were to come out with the Ingenio it will take the fight to the Innova. This may induce Toyota to come up with their upgrades soon.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
5-6 lacs?
Maybe around the 8 lac mark. (A 2 lac discount)
Wow thats a huge discount - is that to employees only or to everyone else
I am seriously considering the H3/ H4 auto versions - you think I should negotiate for a higher discount from what I am already getting - that number of 2 lacs certainly makes me think I can get out more from these guys
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Vikran - The discounts wont be much now, but when the New Corolla has been officially announced, you will need to wait around 6 months more, if you want a much better discount.
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

the NEW COROLLA should be here in the month of August ... with the probably an 1.6 litre 124 bhp engine ... or the same 1.8 litre tweaked .
And a DIESEL engine will follow later ...

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd January 2008 at 15:16.
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:45   #20
BHPian

For those that are hoping for discounts, remember Toyota and Honda are the most miserly discounters in the market today. No chance of great bargains, except when the new model is already out and there are only stockyard clearances.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
For those that are hoping for discounts, remember Toyota and Honda are the most miserly discounters in the market today. No chance of great bargains, except when the new model is already out and there are only stockyard clearances.
Till 31st Dec Toyota had 75000rs discount.

Quote:
the NEW COROLLA should be here in the month of August ... with the probably an 1.6 litre 124 bhp engine ... or the same 1.8 litre tweaked .
Hope they launch the diesel first.

Last edited by jkdas : 3rd January 2008 at 16:22.
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGONLORD View Post
I heard from guys at th Toyota plan in Blr that leftover stock of old model corollas are gonna be sold at around 5-6 lakhs around April-June if any are still left
If that be the case, I can definitely consider one for my wife (I already have one Corolla)
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:05   #23
BHPian

Toyota sells Diesels worldwide. I really wonder what is taking them so long to launch a diesel in India for D-Segment?

Also Toyota last year launched a hybrid called Prius in Europe. They should even target that in India. The car styling is futuristic, may lose not appeal that much to Indian buyers.
Old 4th January 2008, 01:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also Toyota last year launched a hybrid called Prius in Europe. They should even target that in India. The car styling is futuristic, may lose not appeal that much to Indian buyers.
Prius will cost no less then 20Lacs, it wont sell, no point lauching it, they are going to launch a 2.0 D4D diesel engine in the Corolla, but that wont be launched till atleast a year after the new Corolla launch.
Old 4th January 2008, 15:39   #25
BHPian

RE: Toyota launches

Since we are talking about toyota, any news of Fortuner. Will it ever be launched?
Old 4th January 2008, 16:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
A diesel Corolla will not only give the Civic a hard time, but also the Magnum and the Octavia, which might as well be discontinued or take a huge price-cut by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Since we are talking about toyota, any news of Fortuner. Will it ever be launched?
It is a good product for India but it looks highly unlikely.
Old 4th January 2008, 20:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay_ambre View Post
Toyota sells Diesels worldwide. I really wonder what is taking them so long to launch a diesel in India for D-Segment?

Toyota has been selling the Prius in USA from 2000, I believe. The 2nd generation started selling here as a 2004 model and looks quite strange compared to the first generation which looked like a normal small car.
Toyota claims the weird shape is to reduce drag. I think they over did to help identify its "Green" credentials. Also, the shape creates a lot of interior room and it is considered a mid-size sedan in the USA, quite big, Camry territory actually!

The mileage rating is 20 kms/ liter for combined highway/city driving. It actually gives better mileage in the city compared to the highway because it runs on the battery alone in lower speeds and shuts of completely when stopped like at the traffic light.

Even in the USA, the cost premium does not make this car a value for money despite its better fuel economy. Lots of Hollywood types drive this car to make a statement! These are the same folks who use personal jets! Talk about burning fossil fuel!!!
Old 4th January 2008, 20:25   #28
BHPian

Innova

The latest Innova was first launched in May 2005. A typical product cycle is 4 to 5 years, even in Western markets.

Toyota might stick with 5 years or longer before they come up with a new version of the Innova because it is an exclusive "emerging markets" vehicle. They will refresh the design a little bit this year, I think.

One reason I can think of for deeper than usual discounts would be to attain Toyota's goal of Global Domination this year as it unseats General Motors as the largest selling car maker in the world.

Check out this link Sign Up

May be Cheverlot will have huge discounts this year in India too!

Looks like you have to sign up to see the LA Times link above. Here is the gist of what is says...

1) Toyota Motor Corp. plans to sell 9.85 million vehicles worldwide in 2008,up 5% from last year

2) GM has been fiercely fighting back, boosting its overseas business and could still keep the top industry spot, which it has held for 76 years.

Last edited by Zensible : 4th January 2008 at 20:29.
Old 4th January 2008, 22:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensible View Post
The latest Innova was first launched in May 2005. A typical product cycle is 4 to 5 years, even in Western markets.

Toyota might stick with 5 years or longer before they come up with a new version of the Innova because it is an exclusive "emerging markets" vehicle. They will refresh the design a little bit this year, I think.

One reason I can think of for deeper than usual discounts would be to attain Toyota's goal of Global Domination this year as it unseats General Motors as the largest selling car maker in the world.

Check out this link Sign Up

May be Cheverlot will have huge discounts this year in India too!

Looks like you have to sign up to see the LA Times link above. Here is the gist of what is says...

1) Toyota Motor Corp. plans to sell 9.85 million vehicles worldwide in 2008,up 5% from last year

2) GM has been fiercely fighting back, boosting its overseas business and could still keep the top industry spot, which it has held for 76 years.
India has a very big market for Cars; if the Toyota wants to compete with GM, I am sure they should not miss the Mass market in India. They can't just think about more numbers in India, with Innova and Corolla.
They are yet to enter into the other segments - They have no cars at entry, mid levels. They earned very good name in India, and they should use it to expand it.

On the otherhand, GM (Cheverlot) is already spreaded its wings into all the segments in India.
Toyota can't dream now to become #1 in the world with this stratagy.
Old 5th January 2008, 14:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Toyota will surely take over as the Number 1 soon, since GM is losing sales badly.

Most Viewed