Team-BHP - Swift Sedan - Opinons
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Swift Sedan - Opinons (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/33634-swift-sedan-opinons.html)

There are some things that only happen in India.

Swift was designed to be a hatch.

The Sedan version is not even available in Japan. Obviously it was designed to "please" (fool) the Indian public. I have to say, times have changed, and customers like me will never apretiate such a move by suzuki.

A lot of time is spent by good companies when designing cars. Its a work of art.
This is obviously not the case for "swift sedan".
Simply attach a boot and people will buy it - no way!!

Also, I doubt it will have same chassis rigidity like the original swift.

Swift is one of the few cars in India with a character.
They have just killed the character of the Swift!

Maybe they can now launch pick-up verion of swift in 2009.

Swift sedan scoop picture shows us a positive. It might be a good one.

Suzuki is not an exception, You may see the other manufatcurs also does the same thing, Right from Honda City, Ford IKON, Ford Fiesta, to Tata Indica/Indigo.
Some of the designs came out better than their Hatch version. So I hope swift will do the same.

Indian customers have always been taken for a ride (literally), Thanks to our Govt's policies till 1991.

When Dr Singh as finance minister opened up the country for outsiders. Most of the car makers who set up shop here started dumping older / outdated models.

Historically speaking, India has always been dumping ground for old models outside.

Reason why our people accepted was, anything & everything looked better than what was already available in India.:Frustrati

This phenomenon is still going on & on at different levels.

I think Hyundai has been an exception since they launched Accent Globally along with Indian Markets.

Car makers in India have always been successful to find some lallus to buy whatever they make.

MSIL is trying to capitalise on some lallus who want to add a boot to their swift.

cheers

Price is the most important factor here. :) And isn't the Swift sedan being exported to other nations? Like the i10?

True, the Swift sedan does not look drop dead gorgeous as the Swift. But if Maruti is willing to offer quality, then why not??? When we can buy Indigo, just because it has a killer price tag, Swift sedan looks far far better IMO.

But I would have really appriciated if they would have brought the Swift Sport 1.6 here. (And the yellow color too :p )

Quote:

Originally Posted by eflanker (Post 671962)
The Sedan version is not even available in Japan. Obviously it was designed to "please" (fool) the Indian public. I have to say, times have changed, and customers like me will never apretiate such a move by suzuki.

A lot of time is spent by good companies when designing cars. Its a work of art.
This is obviously not the case for "swift sedan".
Simply attach a boot and people will buy it - no way!!

Also, I doubt it will have same chassis rigidity like the original swift.

Swift is one of the few cars in India with a character.
They have just killed the character of the Swift!

Maybe they can now launch pick-up verion of swift in 2009.

please:

We are yet to see even a proper picture of the Swift Sedan. Why start bashing it already? What makes you think there wont be structural rigidity? Just because a car is being launched first in India doesn't mean it is a compromise on quality or structural rigidity.

Please, let's not be so prejudiced and wait till we see and drive the car before we start bashing it.

Besides there is already a thread here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-pics-17.html where we are discussing this car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclectix 1st (Post 671980)
Historically speaking, India has always been dumping ground for old models outside.

Talk about it.....not only cars, but India has literally been dumping ground for everything.

France "gifts" unwated toxis ship to india-
France sends India a New Year gift.

American e-waste sent to India-
BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Growing concern over India's e-waste

Dangerous chemicals from America in indian soil and water-
Toxic waste: Junkyards rip PCs to last bargaining chip

When I was in America, they always said India is toilet of the world. Indian dont take them serious, continues to admire their brands.

Swift was designed to be hatch - period.
The front face is designed for a hatch and not a sedan.
The curves and sidelines were disigned for a hatch not a sedan.

guys, the launch of the swift sedan would ruin the character of the swift hatch, this really sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eflanker (Post 672032)
Talk about it.....not only cars, but India has literally been dumping ground for everything.....
Swift was designed to be hatch - period.
The front face is designed for a hatch and not a sedan.
The curves and sidelines were disigned for a hatch not a sedan.

I am not going to get into an argument about the dumping model but I assure you that opening up are markets in the early 1990's was the right step forward. What is restricting us is the enormous excise and duty charges which leads manufacturers to bring in older technology due to diminishing returns and increasing marginal costs. The only way we will get the 'latest & greatest' models, is if by truly opening up the market i.e. great reduction of excise and duty will result in a perfectly competitive market - "You sell a car that sucks. You lose. Period." Competitive markets have a beautiful mechanism of self correction and self preservation.

As for the dejection of the swift sedan being launched - Why? Last time I checked, they will still sell the Hatch alongside. It is not replacing it, it is supplementing it! People crib about the lack of choice and then when they are given more choices, they crib some more!! Don't worry about brand dilution - look at the positive things. Multi car platforms tend to do better than single car platforms - higher resale, lower spare costs and better support.

P.S. this is not aimed at eflanker but just a statement against general sentiment and pessimism.

Quote:

There are some things that only happen in India. The Sedan version is not even available in Japan. Obviously it was designed to "please" (fool) the Indian public. I have to say, times have changed, and customers like me will never apretiate such a move by suzuki.

1. First, we do not know whether Suzuki designed the sedan/notchback while designing the hatch as Tata did for Indica/go.

2. If SX4 can evolve from Swift and Indigo/XL can evolve from Indica, then this should be possible as well.

3. Chasis/body/frame/structure design is not that simple as we all hope. It involved lots and lots of Simulation test (Computer Based) and then on physical track tests as well, till they achieve certain level of Quality in ride/stability and of course frontal/rear crash tests (in house).

So, should we not worried too much on this issue. If we believe Tata, Mahindra's capability, Suzuki is now way less capable.

Why single out Maruti only? There are several manufacturers who, even globally, add a boot onto a hatch. I'd much rather see a Swift sedan in the showroom than the terribly outdated Esteem.

Either ways, lets hold our judgement till we see actual user reviews of the same. If it is a competent entry-level sedan, no one would care whether the original platform was for a hatch or otherwise.

Saw the pictures in Autocar India. Looks positively (or should I say negatively) UGLY! It is high time we started giving up our obsession with Sedans, and accept hatches as the more practical solution.

Also, with the Fabia with its large boot, they may have a problem in selling these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 672149)
Why single out Maruti only? There are several manufacturers who, even globally, add a boot onto a hatch. I'd much rather see a Swift sedan in the showroom than the terribly outdated Esteem.

Either ways, lets hold our judgement till we see actual user reviews of the same. If it is a competent entry-level sedan, no one would care whether the original platform was for a hatch or otherwise.

agree: Why single out Maruti?

Why was this not present when Indigo/ikon/Petra was launched? And i dont understand the basis of opinion here. Just because one person does not want a sedan rather than a hatch, does not mean others dont want it.

The sales figure will show us whether people wants it or not. As far as the indian market goes, they will prefer the Swift with a boot rather than without it, whether everyone likes it or not.

MODS: THIS WILL ONLY TURN INTO A WAR! HOW CAN WE DISCUSS OPINIONS ON A CAR JUST BASED ON ONE SPY PIC? (for which, there is a thread already)

It will be anyday better than the renault logan the car seem to have been really inspired by maruti alto(front end)

Anyways my guess was that maruti will launch the DDis version of swift sedan so that they can price it in the SX4 range

anyways .. any updates on when it will be launched and price range ?

Quote:

What is "fooling" in that ?? No body is forced to buy it. Its just an another option.