Team-BHP - Ratan Tata to retire after the launch of 1 Lac Car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ratan Tata to retire after the launch of 1 Lac Car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/33644-ratan-tata-retire-after-launch-1-lac-car.html)

New Delhi, India: December 30, 2007 – IR Summary – The car industry is shocked to know that after the launch of Rs.1 lakh car, the people’s car,as he says, he may retire.
This launch at auto expo show in New Delhi on January 10,2008 shall carry a special interest all over the country. Even Maruti Managemen is considering to lower their prices to compete the Tata’s people car.
The Head of the Tata Group, Ratan Tata has confirmed that he would like to retire from active business life after his dream project gets a successful launch.
Tata told a newspaper recently that the launch of the small car would be a best time for him to exit from the business world.
Tata Motors, the giant automobile group of more than Rs three trillion market value, is scheduled to unveil the vehicle, which is popularly called as the "People's Car".
The Cornell-trained architect Ratan Tata helped in designing the car and aimed to attract the middle class to get off their motorbikes and turn into cars.
Marketing the car as the world’s cheapest mass-produced car, Tata recently said that the car would not pollute more than a motorcycle.

Source:

Tata Group, Ratan Tata to retire after launch of his one lac-car | Business management article | Business News Newswire | Business News

It is not surprising. Ratan Tata has been one of the most sensible and level headed industry heads. He has never wanted to be in the position until he dies. And the 1-lakh rupee car is his pet project and after this, he might retire. Maybe not a complete retirement, but something like what NRN is to Infy today. Some sort of mentoring position instead of an active position in the company.

Interesting how our Journos play around with words, right?

"In an ideal world, after the small car has been launched and is successful, that would be a nice time for me to exit," Tata told the 'Financial Times' newspaper.

Tata wants to retire after Rs one-lakh car launch

It would take a while for the small car to be 'successful'. Its not like he's going to resign at Pragati Maidan as these guys are making it sound.

A successful launch of the 1 Lac Car would add another feather in his cap and will present him with a chance to go with a bang (as they say)!
BTW he has always talked about retiring, never wanted to be in forever as @nikhil said.

And as Steer put it, its not gonna happen at Pragati Maidan. May be a year down the line :)

He has transformed and put the TATA's in the world map and i salute this legend who has done an excellent job as the chief.

Yea! One thing for sure is, he will not completely stay away from its functioning i suppose and may be just passing on the mantle to the new generation..

Mr. Tata should consider contesting the elections and try running for the PM's office. IMO he'll make a fantastic leader.

So sad - I have always respected this man so much.

Look at the Sad part - No heir to the TATA Clan !!!! Who runs the company then ????

RNT will retire in 2008 irrespective of 1L car or no 1L car. He just turned 70 this past weekend.

IIRC the Tata Sons have a strict law drafted by JRD \ RNT - no one can be an executive member on the board post 70. This was implemented in the 90's to push the old guard out to make room for fresh blood in the company. RNT is a fierce proponent of this and will not push for an ammendment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1977 (Post 672364)
Mr. Tata should consider contesting the elections and try running for the PM's office. IMO he'll make a fantastic leader.

nope.... good people will never get to be in a position of power. The other politicians will not let him

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 (Post 672429)
nope.... good people will never get to be in a position of power. The other politicians will not let him

And I thought Manmohan Singh is the good guy of Indian politics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnt. (Post 672725)
And I thought Manmohan Singh is the good guy of Indian politics.

Yes he is a good guy. But does he have the freedom to make his decisions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcash (Post 672419)
RNT will retire in 2008 irrespective of 1L car or no 1L car. He just turned 70 this past weekend.

IIRC the Tata Sons have a strict law drafted by JRD \ RNT - no one can be an executive member on the board post 70. This was implemented in the 90's to push the old guard out to make room for fresh blood in the company. RNT is a fierce proponent of this and will not push for an ammendment.

Ratan TATA has given an interview to CNBC TV18 about 10-15 days back. in that he clearly mentioned he may stay for about 5 years. because they could not find a successor to him. he admitted that it is one of his failures.

Ratan Tata has on more instances than I can remember,proved himself worthy of the Tata mantle. The entire coup with the Nano further proves his capabilities. He has earned the respect of his enemies and peers alike. However, the task of running a huge company like Tata may be too much for a man past 70. He will I suppose, make way for fresh blood just like J.R.D. once did,instead of stagnating. He has rightly earned his retirement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1977 (Post 672364)

which politician has ever said after winning the elections... "because a promise is a promise"

oh hell probably be around for a couple of years the way things are going. unless he suddenly changes his mind.