Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which of these you'll consider to fill fuel for your car?
Shell premium 105 27.06%
HP 81 20.88%
IOC 107 27.58%
BP 55 14.18%
Reliance 18 4.64%
Speed 19 4.90%
Others 3 0.77%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 08:13   #76
BHPian

In the past, I usually got 15+ mileage on highway with shell regular. This time, I got the petrol from IOC bunk near Banashankari temple. The mileage now dropped to 13+ on the highway. I did not notice any other difference in performance, etc..

I plan to keep experimenting with various other bunks and do not plan to go back to shell.
Old 7th March 2008, 08:44   #77
BHPian

Shell Premium Petrol now 58.25

Today Morning on my way to work I was at the shell pump to fill up petrol for my palio .The attendent came forward and asked me what would go in my tank Petrol or Diesel .I said petrol and she said "Sir Premium petrol for 58.25." I was like . I asked when did the price rise she said yesterday .I just said forget it and drove out of the pump .

This is kind of ridiculous normal petrol in Bangalore cost something around 52 and speed power etc would be around 54 .Are these people out of thier minds .No more Shell for me anymore .I would rather go to HP,BP and IOC outlets now .Even if these people give me a litre less petrol still then it would be lighter on my pocket considering I have to fill 47 litres of Petrol for my Fiat .
Could anybody tell me any good petrol bunks in and around whitefiled and brookfields where I can go .
Old 7th March 2008, 09:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Whether it is Shell or a PSU, they have to pay for crude and refine it, and then sell it. As you would know, PSUs can recover their `losses' through `oil bonds'. Private sector marketers do not have access to Govt. handouts. Last year also, Essar and Reliance had to curtail their activities and withdraw their price differentials on normal petrol. They cannot sell normal petrol at PSU rates (which are fixed by the Govt) and make a profit. if they sell it at higher rates, there would hardly be many people buying their petrol. However, there is no price ceiling on `premium' petrol. So they have quit or curtailed sales of normal petrol, and are now focusing on premium. Do you know that the price differential between IOC normal and premium has jumped from around 1.25-1.5 sometime back to 2 now.
Old 7th March 2008, 23:09   #79
BHPian

I am spending more on Petrol than for my stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
"Sir Premium petrol for 58.25." I was like .

This is kind of ridiculous normal petrol in Bangalore cost something around 52 and speed power etc would be around 54 .Are these people out of thier minds .No more Shell for me anymore .
Well i have seen Reliance Filling Station with Petrol cost displaying @ Rs 59.xx in Hyderabad. And if i go by usual Shell Trend, it should be about Rs 61.xx per litre @ bangalore. But for me its still going to be Shell atleast for time being unless the filling stations here in my area change a bit.
Old 9th March 2008, 13:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

I had put in normal diesel from ioc and found that it was the best option regarding mileage and smoking.
ram
Old 9th March 2008, 13:13   #81
BHPian

HP it has been- good fuel and clean fuel, closely followed by Speed.
Old 9th March 2008, 14:51   #82
BHPian

Guys I am somewhat confused and concerned.

When you say 'this' fuel is good and 'that' fuel is not good, on what basis?

Is it just your perception or there is some proof?

I, for one, have always gone for Shell based on my perception that Shell being an international brand will have better quality control. On the other hand, BP, IOC, HP etc being government companies, where there is no accountability on anyone regarding quality issues.

Now, my 'reliable' Shell is selling at more than 10% premium to Government fuel which is too much for me.

My question is how can we ensure the fuel we get is really 'pure for sure'
Old 13th March 2008, 20:12   #83
BHPian

HP at murugeshpalya. Very good, I use it for my car. BP (Serious attitude problems) infront of Manipal, Speed for RD and Rx. Indian Oil after marathalli towards Logica CMG road, ask him to fill a 2 litre can, you get 1750 ml.
Old 13th March 2008, 22:34   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

i also heard that shell actually buys fuel from HP (or is it BPCL) and sells it under its brand. so how do we know Shell fuel is good? i have been using Shell because of tamper-proof billing and hopeful of better quality than the rest. have never used anything else and have not done any FE/performance analysis also.

but i am wondering if the premium diesel is suitable for the Skoda laura? manual says no additives. but i am sure common sense tells that adulteration is worse than additives. the last person I would ask will be skoda dealer ;-) they should not have stopped regular diesel! i am in a fix. i have no trust in other brands.. too much cheating in billing and adulteration. the last thing i want to do is stare at the machine to see if the counter has jumped!

think i'll write to shell itself and see if they respond :-)
Old 13th March 2008, 23:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

My first choice is shell but regularly i fill up IOC and then i find HP is good.
Old 13th March 2008, 23:31   #86
BHPian

My Ford Fiesta (P) delivers 11-12 kmpl in the city with the a/c on almost always.Was forced to use Speed once and the car returned only 9kmpl.
Satisfied with Shell Premium,except that we don't have too many bunks.
Old 14th March 2008, 10:31   #87

I have been using Shell and am happy about the quality and quantity though I have to travel 8-10 kms to reach the pump from my workplace/home. But, I was in for a surprise last time since they are not selling normal now. I have been using BP/IOC for a very long time and may go back to them since I now feel BP/IOC are equally good in terms of quality...
Old 14th March 2008, 13:37   #88
BHPian

I always believed the quality of fuel depends on the dealer rather than the oil company - isn't it? In fact, I did have an experience which seems to confirm this. I have been using BP for the last 3-4 years for my Palio and have regularly recorded about 11kmpl in city and 15-17kmpl on highways. On my last trip to Kerala, filled up at a BP outlet in Palakkad, and guess what - my mileage dropped to 11kmpl for the drive back to BLR! IMO, Shell, Reliance, and the COCO's of BP, IOC, HP, etc give you the confidence the dealer's gauge/meter is calibrated perfectly and the quality (at the dealer's point) will not be tampered with.
Old 14th March 2008, 14:06   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
I said petrol and she said "Sir Premium petrol for 58.25."
Well, I asked diesel and he said it is 46.10 -- I too was and all I could say "duh!". But my tank was empty, fuel warning light started blinking since long, so I filled 10 ltrs and decided not to go back there again.

Now I guess even extra premium is also not worth the "extra" "premium", so I will stick to normal diesel for a couple of months and check if mileage drops drastically. For petrol I generally stick to the BP opposite to Manipal Hosp (airport road), maybe for diesel too I'll be going there.

Kousik
Old 15th March 2008, 09:24   #90
BHPian

Can anybody suggest a good petrol bunk, BP/IOC/HP does not matter, but pure and honest bunk in south bangalore?

Near to Lalbag west gate or K R Road, or BSK 2nd stage. [in and around]

I heard that Kaveri petrol bunk at West gate is a good option....

Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks