Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2008, 11:34   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
we did not invent it, we wrote the instruction manual.
before that it was just a simple in out repeat stuff.
Which mean we invented it, i said we invented the kamasutra, i didn't say we invented sex.....
Old 24th January 2008, 11:54   #47
Team-BHP Support

inventing sex, well that title has already been taken by

Amazon.com: Harold Robbins: The Man Who Invented Sex: Books: Andrew Wilson

letz chill this out before the mods step in, we are going Off Topic.
Old 24th January 2008, 13:13   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Of all the third party and competitor's comments, following 2 are worth noting:

Mr. Takedagawa (Honda India): I have not seen the car (Nano), but I am sure, we can learn something about manufactuing and cost engineering from this.

Mr. Venu Sriniwasan (TVS): Today is a red letter day in the history of Indian manufacturing. Tata's have made the country proud.
IIRC, even Anand Mahindra appreciated the Nano from Tata.
Old 24th January 2008, 14:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
I have learnt that many people that are from "poorer" backgrounds or don't have a complete education tend be ignorant/arrogant about other countries like India. People that have an education seem to respect Indians because they know we as a people as hard-working, honest and extremely intelligent....
they are like our very own slum dwellers or labour class...it's just that they are fair and talk in english apart from that there is no difference... (please dont think I'am prejudiced or something...this is just an analogy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
many people think I am Mexican, which frankly is quite annoying, but this is usually from uneducated Mexicans or truck drivers, hotel employees and the like. People with an education know I am Indian and behave appropriately. I also believe all the negative remarks are from people from Alabama, Georgia, the Dakotas and those states which are pretty worthless to the world. They also might be from jealous people that think India is stealing their jobs and they KNOW we are better and hence are negative/hateful in response.
I would definitely second that...very good observation..

Last edited by sabret00the : 24th January 2008 at 14:17.
Old 24th January 2008, 16:05   #50
BHPian

I wonder how many of our own 1.2 billions recognize America? And how many have a knowledge beyond a stereotype image similar to our Elephant/Snake image?

It is one matter that the people like journalists and analysts stereotyping, and another matter the average Joe Sixpack does. The former is expected to knpow what he comments on. The latter have no obligation to know.
Old 24th January 2008, 17:03   #51
BHPian

Good point. Forget the more illiterate many people not only in India but eastern societies make a lot of negative presumptions about western societies and somehow want to portray them as morally deficient taking a very pessimistic view of their exceptions and very optimistic view of their own societies. Lacking in family values, etc add your bit here which is not only inaccurate but very close to xenophobia. And in the process make a lot of presumptions about the morality of their own societies.

And this keeps on repeated as if its truth. A more in depth and balanced look without the need to rubbish other societies to prop yours up will reveal the same patterns in most societies, after all we are all human, sharing more than identity oriented individuals would like to believe. Its more about conservative and liberal mindsets rather than societies.
Old 25th January 2008, 01:07   #52
BHPian

Since we are on the subject of India and how it is viewed by other nations, I have a general question. Indian is seeing an economic growth of about 9-10% each year. Our infrastructure is still not up to par, how soon do you think the government will start acting upon this and start improving roads and other things to bring it up to par with the international scene, when will our infrastructure start resembling our success?
Old 25th January 2008, 02:49   #53
BHPian

Success for a country with 1.2 billion people predicted to be 2.5 by 2050 will always be relative. Even with said growth figures 70& of Indians have a purchasing power of Rs 20 or less a day. That's poverty and worse. How would you define success in this context.

Is it a welfare state, with access to education, heath care, and benefits? Is it a living wage that allows individuals to have a decent life whatever work they do, have a house, a car, education and healthcare for kids.

We are going to have to get used to a different measure, ensuring a decent living and quality of life for such large numbers is a huge challenge even for the most committed administration and we are talking over timespans of 50 years plus maybe 100 years of consistent performance to see some results, we of course don't have an administration of this nature.

Plus because of the numbers you are going to run in to resource crunches, water, food, infrastructure, electricity, oil. Even if one presumes everybody in India has means to live the same standards as western countries are there enough resources to sustain this.
Old 25th January 2008, 03:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have another incident to report. This happened 3 days ago,in my S-I-L's university. She's going her BA in Psychology,and has to take a course on 'Ethnic cultures'.

Turns out,she's the only Indian in the class ( Senior year of BA;final year ie.). The professor taking the class for them comes up with some slides of India,and as usual picks up some village in India showing a lady in a saree,wearing bangles & a bindi. The prof actually started talking about these aspects in a mocking way,and the whole class kept laughing & joking. Finally he says, ' I don't think anyone in this class is from Asia, but no offense meant'.

So my S-I-L stands up and tries to explain things in detail. Everyone listens, but wonders why a Hispanic woman is talking about Asia. Well, brown skin= Latino..that's their logic.

If I had been in the class,I would have been forced to give the prof a rude awakening and asked him to go back and do his research again.
Old 25th January 2008, 08:16   #55
BHPian

If we come back to the Tata Nano & the world response to the car... I guess the Detroit big 3 & the American's as a whole had have got whammed from all sides - on one side you have the Japanese grabbing the market...on the other side you have the Beamers eating away the pie...& by the time American's woke up to the concept of a world market & large populations....the Tatas introduce low cost fuel efficient cars...
They must be feeling pretty lonely in those gigantic pick up trucks & SUVs...with hopeless fuel efficiencies & even more hopeless resale values !!
So environmental concern & pollution is the only bogey through which they can criticize the 3rd world.
Old 25th January 2008, 14:00   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
If we come back to the Tata Nano & the world response to the car... I guess the Detroit big 3 & the American's as a whole had have got whammed from all sides - on one side you have the Japanese grabbing the market...on the other side you have the Beamers eating away the pie...& by the time American's woke up to the concept of a world market & large populations....the Tatas introduce low cost fuel efficient cars...
They must be feeling pretty lonely in those gigantic pick up trucks & SUVs...with hopeless fuel efficiencies & even more hopeless resale values !!
So environmental concern & pollution is the only bogey through which they can criticize the 3rd world.
very well said.

American car makers - who takes them seriously these days?
Old 26th January 2008, 00:57   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Good point. Forget the more illiterate many people not only in India but eastern societies make a lot of negative presumptions about western societies and somehow want to portray them as morally deficient taking a very pessimistic view of their exceptions and very optimistic view of their own societies. Lacking in family values, etc add your bit here which is not only inaccurate but very close to xenophobia. And in the process make a lot of presumptions about the morality of their own societies.

And this keeps on repeated as if its truth. A more in depth and balanced look without the need to rubbish other societies to prop yours up will reveal the same patterns in most societies, after all we are all human, sharing more than identity oriented individuals would like to believe. Its more about conservative and liberal mindsets rather than societies.
I realize that many Indians and people from the eastern traditions make assumptions about the westerners, BUT the people from the west have a much greater exposure to all the cultures of the world, USA is a global melting pot, in contradiction eastern cultures have little or no exposure to the western people, so their views are justified. As a westerner, being exposed to other cultures so much and still being ignorant only shows their inferiority to us.

I would also agree with the fact that the western culture seriously lacks morals and family values, I have lived here for a while and i can vouch for it, Our culture is far superior and rich in moral and family values beyond any doubt.
Old 26th January 2008, 02:56   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
very well said.

American car makers - who takes them seriously these days?
But aren't they making some exciting cars lately!
Old 26th January 2008, 04:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalysm76 View Post
I don't see why they should bother much with us except for trade.They let Africa starve and its citizens kill itself.For them they are all that is good in the world,we are all expendable.
My view exactly for our frndly neighbors the pakis, ofcoz without the trade
Old 26th January 2008, 04:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
ever heard how the dinos died? Same way mate!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks