Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:25   #91
BHPian

I could not stop myself from writing this. Maruti can launch it with the tagline:
A Streetcar named DeZire
Old 23rd January 2008, 03:35   #92
BHPian

A not so eye-catchy car. Nobody would even bother to look at it on the road and would assume it is another swift.
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:29   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
A not so eye-catchy car. Nobody would even bother to look at it on the road and would assume it is another swift.
I am willing to bet that this car will be another success story for Maruti.
Looks and pricing turned out to be the stumbling blocks for the Logan, but the art of pricing is something which Maruti seem to mastered, and in that case, people are willing to overlook the looks department to some extent.
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:25   #94
Senior - BHPian

Goash what was MUL drinking?
Even Petes on this wont make it look or feel good!!!
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:31   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looks and pricing turned out to be the stumbling blocks for the Logan, but the art of pricing is something which Maruti seem to mastered, and in that case, people are willing to overlook the looks department to some extent.
Paper ads here say Logan range starts at 3.93L while TV ads say a fully loaded Logan petrol (must be 1.4) comes for under 4.5L. I guess they have corrected the pricing for the 1.4 petrol model.

Since swift hatch comes at that pricing, it will be hard for Maruti to catch Logan for price. Most probably, Maruti will try and play the VFM way with more features thrown in.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:20   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Scoop pics of the Swift Dezire from Carwale.com. A person called SriVsh has posted it. Due credit for the person. No stealing images.

Here's a real spy pic right off Maruti's production line

And here's the article appearing in Autocar regarding the same:
NEW DELHI — Maruti Suzuki, India's largest automaker, is planning to replace its long-running Esteem sedan with a new four-door version of the Swift.

Maruti's strategy to phase out the Esteem and launch the Swift sedan has been laid bare with this scoop shot on Maruti's assembly line, forwarded to Autocar India by a reader.

Code-named YV3, the Swift sedan is essentially the three-box version of the Swift hatchback. Interestingly, most of the design and engineering has been carried out by Maruti's own engineers in India.

The rear doors, roof and rear section are different and have been redesigned. The high waist extends all the way through to the rear and merges into the sharply curved lights that bear the same "peeled-back" theme of the Swift, to ensure a strong family resemblance. The stubby trunk has the bustle-back shape first seen on the BMW 7 Series and now aped by the rest of the car world.

There doesn't appear to be any change in the wheelbase, which means that interior room won't be much better than on the hatchback. Twin airbags and ABS are expected on the top-of-the-line variants, which should retain the ZXi nomenclature.

Mechanically, the sedan will mirror its hatchback sibling, sharing the same engines. These include the 1.3-liter G-series gas engine from the Esteem, although the Fiat-sourced 1.3-liter Multijet diesel will be the more popular option.

Maruti is targeting sales of at least 3,000 units per month. To achieve that figure, observers expect the Swift sedan to come at an aggressive price — around $12,700 for the base gasoline version and $15,200 for a fully loaded diesel variant.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

hey the thread has invoked huge interest in the marketing and pricing strategy of msil and what comes to my mind is that inspite of a head start msil has been able to maintain a pretty good market share all across the country-special mention to kerela-70% share.this maynot be due to the excellent quality of the products but maybe the balance between what you pay and what you get is almost perfect in a msil car.and that lives up to the expectational level of an average indian.i am sure this sedan will also go a long way in creating history as in the esteem,
ram
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:18   #98
BHPian

From the pics, I don't see anything wrong in the way boot is integrated. If the performance is same as Swift, then I might consider buying.
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:27   #99
BHPian

Keeping into perspective that the swift platform was not intended to be expanded into other plstforms , I would give MUL full marks at the attempt to merge a third box to the hatch.
Personally I would have preferred a notchback which would also helped in merging the lines of the hatchback with the boot .
In view of the current market scenario for somebody who wants a car bigger than the wagon car but cannot stretch his budget to the sx4 this car if priced in line with maruti aggresive price standards would do well to sell in the 2500-3500 numbers per month.
Looks are relative- qualis/santro/elantra/logan/trax/indigo if they can sell ,so can this
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:47   #100
BHPian

Such an ugly car they have the guts to name it DEZIRE...,
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:50   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptik83 View Post
I could not stop myself from writing this. Maruti can launch it with the tagline:
A Streetcar named DeZire
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Two Thumbs Up!
Old 23rd January 2008, 15:08   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
Keeping into perspective that the swift platform was not intended to be expanded into other plstforms , I would give MUL full marks at the attempt to merge a third box to the hatch.
I believe thats not true. The Swift platform was also common to the SX4, going by what i had read somewhere. Whether it was or isnt ensued in a debate on the forum, and i am not quite sure as to what was the final consensus.
Old 23rd January 2008, 15:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Having the same platform is different from having same body panels. Here they have changed only the rear doors backwards and maybe were not allowed to make it expensive.
Old 23rd January 2008, 16:08   #104
BANNED

i have a feeling this will sell a lot and sx4 sales will come down after this. people were always looking for a bigger swift. its on pricing now. if this is priced at 7 it will take the cake for sure
Old 23rd January 2008, 16:22   #105
Senior - BHPian

IMO - Thats one fat ugly looking car. Its an insult to the Esteem to be called the Esteem replacement.

Best part is it will sell well if priced well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks